The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Listening to Lou Reed - Transformer...

A truly great album

Erin McKeown's "standards" album has introduced me to some wonderfully silly jazz. Sadly, her outsize talent doesn't quite stretch to her vocals, so I'm listening to other people's recordings. They don't write 'em like this anymore. (And we're poorer for it.)

np. Paradise Lost - The Enemy

The new, ingenious single from Gothic Metal genre founders Paradise Lost is finally available (in select countries) and kicks some major butt!

Preview (Do not click on "Enter site".)

Hellborg, Hanson & Sipe - live at 'Smilefest'. Something I picked up a while back, not a major published live recording, but it is really cool.

The cool thing - aside from Jonas Hellborg's monster bass chops, is that Paul Hanson is a bassoon player! Yep, a bassoon, bass and drums jazz trio ... and they really play the crap out of it in this show!

Allow me to update my post above with a link to the masterpiece known as "In Requiem" by Paradise Lost, out in mid-May. You can listen to the first 3 songs off the album in their entirety. "Never for the Damned" is an utter punisher!

I like Paradise Lost's first cd, it's one of my faves.

This one sounds good musically, but the vocals arent really to my liking. The guy sounds like he's trying his best to emulate James Hetfield from Metallica, and he doesnt do the death growl at all, which I really have grown to like, at least here and there for accent. I'm searching for a little female vox here and there, but not finding any either, unless you count the opening wail on enemy.

It's still far preferable to most new metal littering the airwaves!

appropriate in light of current events, and the fact that i'm finally getting to see them in a little over a week here is a moving video to a beautiful song. apparently its 'banned' from mtv whatever that means. faithless- bombs
http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/f/faithless/bombs.html

Tom Petty - Mary Janes Last Dance

@ xSamhainx: I don't think that Nick tries to emulate, copy or imitate anyone, let alone Hetfield. They have a similar tone, hence the similarity. Other than that, I honestly believe Holmes is a lot better singer than Hetfield. Tastes are different, of course.

Dunno about female vox on the new album, but we'll see. I don't regard it as a must as long as the songs are awesome, which they are! I'm completely hooked on these new songs and can't wait for the album. Which reminds me of the fact that I should pre-order it straight away.

I am listening to the audiobook of Dean Koontz's "Life Expectancy", not up to the standard of his old stuff.

Tearwave's debut for me (still)

me and dt are mega-dosing on Tearwave and Draconian!

Actually taking a little break this morning, listening to a new import cd called "Doom:VS", a side project of one of the Draconians. Kinda like Evoken, for when My Dying Bride and such are too cheery for ya. Perfect for this dreary, dark, cold morning.

Nothing like inclement weather and doom metal to help me savor a bad mood..

My younger son bought the new 'Fallout Boy' CD on sale at Best Buy the other day. It isn't my sort of thing (if you didn't get that from my previous posts ;) ), but when driving around and having 3 people singing songs it gets rather infectious ...

Personally I have been enjoying a classic 'Art Ensemble of Chicago' called 'Reese & The Smooth Ones' This was a record I had from way back and always loved, so I digitized it several years ago, then it was re-released to CD so I bought it (my album was bought used as it was!) and I see it has since gone out of print again ... some of my favorite stuff of theirs.

for when My Dying Bride and such are too cheery for ya.

LOL, you are the first person I hear to have dubbed MDB as "cheery". And, in turn, you've just raised my interest in this Draconian thing you mentioned...

well, here's their audio page if you want to try some out.

http://www.draconian.se/downloads_audio.html

Theyre doom metal, but they incorporate a lot of gothic stylings such as keyboards, female and choiric vocals, clean and death male vocals, and romantic themes. They speed things up a bit now and then, but the dirge is their usual speed.

Of the 3 of their cds, I still like their first, "Where Lovers Mourn" the best. Their follow up, "Arcane Rain Fell" is 80% concept album featuring the story of Lucifer's fall from Heaven. This is the cd everyone raves about, yet I'm just not too crazy about it personally. It has some good songs, but it just hasnt grabbed me like the other two have. Their last cd, "The Burning Halo" is really good and my second favorite, it's basically them doing covers and a few of their own unreleased original songs.

Theyre a pretty solid gothic doom band, Ive gotten quite a bit of mileage out of their 3 cds. Listening to The Burning Halo for the second time today right now as a matter of fact!

Last edited:
Listening to Hero, Hero by Judas Priest. It's basically their first two albums put on one disc. It's actually really good... the Priest before they were actually a metal band. Their music was quite progressive and a bit "space-rock"ish.

Back
Top Bottom