Avadon 2 - Review @ Digitally Downloaded

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Digitally Downloaded posted a new review for Avadon 2: The Corruption, and gave the game a final score of 4.5 /5.

If you're able to stretch your imagination beyond the visuals you're in for a rich pulp fantasy world of diabolical villains, horrific monsters and exotic villages to explore. Vogel's style of fantasy has always been rooted in the Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic of the 80's, and frankly it's good that these developers still exist, because it's a unique style that I would hate to see disappear completely.
More information.

Maybe now that Vogel's got 20+ years of selling games behind him, he'd like to finally update his graphics. I don't even mean hand-painted backgrounds or different camera perspectives, just better models for the isometric style he already uses, and maybe a decent portrait artist.

I think the portraits in Avadon 2 are very nice, and the graphics are crisp, clear and detailed. I quite like the look of the game. It's just a different style than other games, but it's not better or worse, just different.

It's just old, people would like to see something new after 20 years. ;)
Fluent's right about the portraits, I didn't realize they'd been updated. But yeah, Vogel should be recognized as the world record holder for making the same computer game a dozen times and continuing to earn a living. He's the EA Sports of indie gaming.

Fluent's right about the portraits, I didn't realize they'd been updated. But yeah, Vogel should be recognized as the world record holder for making the same computer game a dozen times and continuing to earn a living. He's the EA Sports of indie gaming.

Ha! You are perfectly correct sir :) Vogel won't spend a dime getting somebody better than him to do the programming and art, so we're stuck with ancient graphics and outdated game systems if we want to play through his stories. Storytelling is his only true talent.

I think he does a fine job. He's got his priorities and he does well to stick to what's of interest to him. I understand such complaints when they are directed to large studios that have the means to update their style as much as they want but when we are talking about one guy doing his thing - and with such consistency and dedication - I'd say one can always get something different from somewhere else.

I play Jeff's games, but I can definitely whine about the graphic level. If Jeff upgraded his graphics to Baldur's Gate II level, I could more accept it. Honestly, he hasn't learned any graphics, sound, or game system tech in 20 years? How about buying a license to Unity then? It's not that expensive.

Back
Top Bottom