The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

My absolute favorite My Bloody Valentine song is To Here Knows When (or better yet listen on Spotify for superior sound quality) - highly recommended for anyone exploring shoegaze. Perhaps not as accessible / poppy as some of their other songs but it really shows off how mind-altering their sound can be. It takes me to a another world every time I listen. Hallucinogens are not needed but good headphones are a must!

The version on the Tremolo EP (in that Spotify link) has some added material at the end of the song which is pretty nice. Actually it was this EP that introduced me to MBV back in the day… totally blew my mind.

My absolute favorite My Bloody Valentine song is To Here Knows When (or better yet listen on Spotify for superior sound quality) - highly recommended for anyone exploring shoegaze. Perhaps not as accessible / poppy as some of their other songs but it really shows off how mind-altering their sound can be. It takes me to a another world every time I listen. Hallucinogens are not needed but good headphones are a must!

The version on the Tremolo EP (in that Spotify link) has some added material at the end of the song which is pretty nice. Actually it was this EP that introduced me to MBV back in the day… totally blew my mind.

:'( No spotify here.

REQUEST - help!

I need positive music, bros.

Not "walking on sunshine!" blowing-sunshine-out-my-ass annoying positive, but something kinda heavy (or not), quality, and non-negative to lift my spirits. Going thru a pretty rough health issue, please help a severely wounded tiger in need!

All I know is negative/hell/doom/depression/aggression/heavyness/darkness/etc, and that will just drag me down further right now. I need something to lift my spirit!

Theory of a Deadman's "Scars and Souvenirs" might fit the bill. Kinda throwaway pop (the release is on Nickelback's label, so it's definitely radio-friendly pop), but the lyrics are kinda tongue-in-cheek fun and there's a recurring "middle finger to the world" theme.

Worst case, dig out some of that 80s hair metal that I just know you've got stashed away. What could better bring a smile to your face than some nice chauvinistic party music from the Decade of Decadence?

Hope everything works out. Teeth and claws, tiger, teeth and claws.

Not "walking on sunshine!" blowing-sunshine-out-my-ass annoying positive, but something kinda heavy (or not), quality, and non-negative to lift my spirits. Going thru a pretty rough health issue, please help a severely wounded tiger in need!

All I know is negative/hell/doom/depression/aggression/heavyness/darkness/etc, and that will just drag me down further right now. I need something to lift my spirit!

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time - I hope things improve.

Some sort of "heavy" songs that I find uplifting:

Agalloch - Falling Snow
- This is incredibly uplifting to me for some reason - if you are ok with occasional black-metallish vocals.

Fates Warning - Guardian
- Starts of a bit somber but progresses later into more positive territory.

Falkenbach - The Heathenish Foray
- Viking metal in general sometimes has a very "triumphant" positive feel.

Bathory - Shores in Flames
- A viking metal classic.

In general the prog and / or power metal genres might be worth looking into for a positive yet heavy vibe. They generally are the most positive sub-genres of metal.

Last edited:

Try "Tres Lunas" by Mike Oldfield or "The Ladder" by Yes, for example. ("The Ladder" is very energetic nd has very positive lyrics, imho, albeit somewhat spiritual !)

Or almost anything by Status Quo (if you are able to ignore the lrics; not that they are bad, but simply listening to their music is better !)

You could also try Enya, that is able to soothe almost everything, imo, but her music is a very special and unique kind of music, not quite for everyday's listening, imho.

If you need encouragement, try "Fix you" by Coldplay (preferrably from their "Leftrightleftright" (or so) live album (or how it is called), and "Don't Go" by Yes.

Well aware of the Pantera, I was a fanatic for years. Pure power there, all their songs are very powerful. I'm needing it a little more mellow tho, been getting back into Enya and stuff. I tried DT's suggestion of going back to 80's hair metal - argh. Made me feel worse at first, then I started laughing my ass off.

Motley Crue's "looks that kill"

Nicely encapsulates the era, lol.

Keel's "the right to rock"
is another, truly hilarious moment of 80's hair metal

Alrik - yeah, I think I may have to dig back into Coldplay, I have pretty much all their stuff and theyre good, and kinda mellow. i will amazon "yes" and see what comes up, maybe some 70's prog rock will do me some good

Well aware of the Pantera, I was a fanatic for years. Pure power there, all their songs are very powerful. I'm needing it a little more mellow tho, been getting back into Enya and stuff. I tried DT's suggestion of going back to 80's hair metal - argh. Made me feel worse at first, then I started laughing my ass off.

Motley Crue's "looks that kill"

Nicely encapsulates the era, lol.

Keel's "the right to rock"
is another, truly hilarious moment of 80's hair metal

Alrik - yeah, I think I may have to dig back into Coldplay, I have pretty much all their stuff and theyre good, and kinda mellow. i will amazon "yes" and see what comes up, maybe some 70's prog rock will do me some good

If you are enjoying Enya, maybe some Enigma? More dreamy but very mellow/relaxing.

Nice recommendation, Hurls. listening to them on youtube right now zoned on a couple Vicodin, and they seem to complement it well. I think we may have a winner here, ive always liked the gregorian and other chanting in modern music thing.

So they released their new album.

Who 1? Dream Theater: A Dramatic Turn of Events. I like it. Here's Build me Up break me down

Who 2? Opeth: Heritage. More prog rock than metal this time - no monster cookie vocals. I like it. Here's Folklore.

says pibbur who regrettably can't growl without coughing

wow, finally an Opeth album I can get into, I just havent liked their prior stuff very much but this sounds good. Thanks for sharing, Pibbur!

Attempt one. (Edit: Daft Punk - Discovery, in case you don't want to have to follow the link to figure it out.) Always cheers me up. You'll have to compare that song list to this one if you want the correct one though.

Attempt two. (Edit: The Drums - The Drums.) Upbeat songs with not so upbeat lyrics, which ensures it doesn't turn into "walking on sunshine!" blowing-sunshine-out-my-ass annoying positive (instead it's "my life sucks" made danceable). The list is missing Forever and Ever Amen which is slightly annoying though.

Not sure if any of those two works. Not sure grooveshark works in the state either.

Übereil

wow, finally an Opeth album I can get into, I just havent liked their prior stuff very much but this sounds good. Thanks for sharing, Pibbur!

What about "Damnation", which is also a prog rock album with only clean vocals?

says pibbur whose favoUrite Opeth album is "Ghost Reveries"

I propose Rhapsody and/or Luca Turilli with their operatic fantasy kitsch metal. At least these folks manage to lift my spirits when I'm down.
Ah yes, and Pain's 'Follow Me' is also very uplifting.

Back
Top Bottom