Good Old Games - 50% Off Sale

As mentioned previously in the "dirty cheap" thread… Only Codemasters' games (there are a few of those) and Gothic (1) are not included. Everything else, including Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 at GOG is 50% off! :D

Oh tis the season to get further behind on my game log!

Gothic 3 and Nox are now mine (and it's the only games I'm going to buy in this winter sell).

Oh tis the season to get further behind on my game log!

Tell me about it.. I just gave in to temptation and purchased six more games that I don't have time to play right now. :)

I grabbed Arcanum, Advent Rising, Arx Fatalis, M&M VIII, M&M IX, and Vampire: Redemption. I already had disc versions of all them except Advent Rising, but the $2.99 prices and Win 7 compatibility were too good to pass up.

Not 100% sure, and definitely not sure if anyone's interested in Empire Earth, but I don't think you need to really download it before December the 21st - I just added it to my shelf and it's there, I think I'll be able to dl it any time I want.

My backlog of good-to-fantastic games is such that I won't approach elimination before I'm retired.

It's pretty sad.

Or one could say we are very lucky :)

Except, for my part at least, it seems the more I have to choose from - the less I actually play.

I'm finding it incredibly hard to stick with something for long - because there are so many experiences to be had.

I suppose it's my lack of discipline.

I know the feeling. Honestly reading about 300+ hours of content for skyrim in the other thread just scares me. That would mean I could play just Skyrim (which I haven't purchased yet) non-stop for about 3 years at my current rate. Sad lol.
Well, I took advantage of the opportunity to get two of the most glaring holes in my RPG collection, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum. Now at least I can say I own these games (although I have yet to play them ;) )

I know the feeling. Honestly reading about 300+ hours of content for skyrim in the other thread just scares me. That would mean I could play just Skyrim (which I haven't purchased yet) non-stop for about 3 years at my current rate. Sad lol.
Well, I took advantage of the opportunity to get two of the most glaring holes in my RPG collection, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum. Now at least I can say I own these games (although I have yet to play them ;) )

Yeah, I took a whole week off for Skyrim - and I'm nowhere near done with it.

I don't enjoy such a game when I can't fully invest and immerse myself, as I get taken out of it when I have to wait days between sessions.

To get what I want out of Skyrim - I'd probably need a whole month, which I'm not going to get for many years :)

For games that are less demanding in terms of immersion and such, I can enjoy them a few hours each day - and longer for the weekend. But for some reason, I just can't stick with something until it's done - unless it's brand new and a mega-title.

I hope to one day get the discipline to just play something until I'm done - though I'm not sure I would ever learn to enjoy that properly.

Except, for my part at least, it seems the more I have to choose from - the less I actually play.

I'm finding it incredibly hard to stick with something for long - because there are so many experiences to be had.

I suppose it's my lack of discipline.

Ouch!

That sounded familiar..

The downside of multiple choices.

I have to struggle to finish a game these days, with some exeptions (actually alpha protocol was one of the few this year that I played from beginning to end without trying another game in between.)

C

Great choices! Didn't Nox have a Coop patch, maybe they couldn't get it working in Win7?

Ahh, even see Stonekeep, didn't most of the original Black Isle/Interplay guys, who now work at Obsidian work on it?

Hmmm, after abusing PST by replaying it so many times my disc3 got in a bad shape. I can still finish the game as the problem is on a cutscene movie data on the disc and I just have to skip it when it starts loading…
To hell with it, I'm getting it from GOG! 4CDs less junk in the room. :)

Still pondering to grab or not other games I already have as a retail version…

Hmmm, after abusing PST by replaying it so many times my disc3 got in a bad shape. I can still finish the game as the problem is on a cutscene movie data on the disc and I just have to skip it when it starts loading…
To hell with it, I'm getting it from GOG! 4CDs less junk in the room. :)

Still pondering to grab or not other games I already have as a retail version…

I bought all the Wing Commander and Ultima games as well as the Witcher. I have the actual diskettes and also CDs for all the WC and Ultima games (except UU and WC3 of which I have just the CDs), but it was worth it to basically have an online backup in case my hard copies are destroyed plus have them all set to run with DosBox and not have to screw around with the settings too much.

Good time for this sale. I need to replace some damaged disks with digital copies. There goes another $40.

Great choices! Didn't Nox have a Coop patch, maybe they couldn't get it working in Win7?

Ahh, even see Stonekeep, didn't most of the original Black Isle/Interplay guys, who now work at Obsidian work on it?
If I remember right, Stonekeep came long before even Fallout, or Black Isle for that matter. It was released…. I want to say circa 1994 and was Brian Fargo's baby from day one (former head of Interplay, now at inXile).

It's an ok game, but suffers from having been strung along for too long during a time of much PC gaming evolution and having its engine reworked to try and compensate.

I consider Stonekeep one of the last classic dungeon crawlers and among the best of them. Not so much for the gameplay (which is merely fine for its time) - but for the atmosphere.

I remember be awed when I first saw Stonekeep. As soon as I had a CD-Rom, I went out and bought it. But for some reason I never could get into it.

Stonekeep
Your right Drithius 1995 and Interplay/Inxile. Tons of the gang are were there, looks almost like the of future of RPGs with Black Isle, Troika and Obsidian. I actually enjoyed the game as mentioned due to the great atmosphere. Iirc a really troubled development cycle, they had to start over at least one and ended up late and unpolished.

Lol 2 had hideous drm, 4 cd switching and never a crack till now. Not to mention WinXP (probably Win7) compatibility breaking at least one quest (Firesword, damn important at low levels) more than enough reason to grab it now. Really surprised they didn't add Lol 3 and sell it for 4.99, even though it's by no means good but just for collection sake.

Back
Top Bottom