Cyberpunk - New AAA RPG from CDPR

I don't see how race is relevant or even worth mentioning. I only care that the source material is good and that CDP (hopefully) makes a great crpg from it.

I agree that race does not make a difference but I was just pleasantly surprised that this guy did not fit the typical profile of a person involved in fantasy/sci-fi industry.

I agree that race does not make a difference but I was just pleasantly surprised that this guy did not fit the typical profile of a person involved in fantasy/sci-fi industry.

A scrawny white guy with horn-rimmed glasses and a pocket protector? ;)

Witcher's mature was violence, and sex cards.
Not really, in my opinion.
General absence of black&white, some of the themes (racism), the art direction or general grittiness (which isn´t purposeless and inserted everywhere at all costs - the game contains a lot of light hearted moments, sex cards included, which is sometimes used to great contrasting effect) is the kind of stuff that constitutes the game´s "mature" in my book, at least within the context of computer games.
Also, The Witcher is one of the few games where the violence is often questioned and pondered upon.
Personally I´ve always found the game´s sex cards, as well as most of the sexual encounters in general, to be a way to infuse the main protagonist´s personality with a sorta juvenile side.

Last edited:
The whole 6 points sounds really nice...
But I'd like to know if it's first or third person perspective and if combat is realtime or turn-based.
*Then*, I may be excited ... or not. ;)

Sorry Alrik, somebody beat you to it a long time ago.

There's a comic magazine that exist since the 70s all about Heavy Metal Fantasy (Linked to wikipedia and not the official website because it's 18+). There are also animated movies based on it.
Did anyone suggest CDPR to make a game based on it?
No?
OMG

*joxerrushestopostonthwwitcherboards*

A Cyberpunk RPG from CDPR, this is really fantastic news!

This. Cyberpunk is an overlooked genre in general media, not to mention video games... I have faith in CDPR that they will do a good job with this one since their Witcher games are amazing.

And speaking of cyberpunk, are there any RPG's in this genre?

If you also include FPS/RPG hybrids, then you have the Deus Ex series. But apart from these games, I am not aware of any others.

The System Shock games are considered Cyberpunk (and FPS/RPGs). There's a few JRPGs into that category as well.

Bloodnet was a Cyberpunk/Vampire adventure game, it also had RPG elements in it.

Always hoped a reboot or sequel would appear.

Does Deus Ex count as cyberpunk? Near future with cyborg stuff?

Daniel.

System Shock has more cyberpunk elements than Deus Ex, you even venture into cyberspace and the main theme is an evil A.I.. However i dont think any of them are true cyberpunk. Like the name suggests the theme is really about a punk / low-life who's good at computers (like in Neuromancer or Matrix) and not some educated military dude. Hi-tech, low-life - that's cyberpunk.

Deus Ex was far more cyberpunk to me, but since there's no strict definition of cyberpunk, I guess it's open to interpretation. Cyberpunk is also about the setting though, not just the character.

Other than the hacking, there's really not much cyberpunk about System Shock imo. Cyberpunk usually tends to be set in the near future, and in a run-down or industrial type city setting, not in space.

Hacking, A.I(s), implants, cyberspace, drugs, all elements from cyberpunk, though Deus Ex has most of that too.. I agree that Deus Ex has the better setting for cyberpunk though, but again, if you go by the name or by Gibson's Neuromancer which defined the genre it's not really true cyberpunk, you could just as well call those games sci-fi.

Back
Top Bottom