Drakensang:RoT Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret

Rumor says that no-one outside in the Na territories didn't want the game - another interpretation could be that no-one wanted the game for the price dtp demanded.

The result was that THQ was chosen as an NA territories distributor - and they had seemingly such a low opinion on it that they did nearly no marketing for it at all.

And ValuSoft is their daughter company - and I don't believe that this is a good sign.

Well, at least so far, I have to agree with THQ. PS has not impressed me at all in the first stage. The art is real nice but the story has been a complete joke. Maybe it would make a lot more sense if you already had the pen & paper game but to me it's just been a lot of nonsense. People I haven't heard of are fighting other people I haven't heard of over something I haven't heard of. Now the mighty somebody or other has fled from the field of battle on the plain of what-chy-call-it. I must master the art of blah blah to become one with my do-dad, which will allow me to join the ranks of the honor guard.

I wish there were more fighting. That would far better than wandering around and talking to people who don't say anything recognizable.

Yes, this is actually one of the drawbacks that TDE lore isn't translated into the English language yet.

The story is about the FAll Of Tie'Shianna, one of the Elemental Towns, which had been kind of "keepers" (or so I understood it) over "Elemental Keys". One who gets such a "key", has the total and absolute contriol over this element in the whole world !

And the Nameless God wants this key. So he lets Tie'Sianna attacked by his minions.

The Elves living there are an example of the Elven High Culture - which has vanished completely after the Fall of all of the known Elemental Towns.

The fall of the Elves were SO complete they are "nowadays" only like the Elves you see around the curing of Ardo in Drakensang 2. The are wood-dwellers, nowadays, or live near rivers, in rare cases even in the Tundra, and a tiny group (which is probably gone by now) lived in a desert.

So, hat you basically see there is the Fall of an High Civilization because of its delusions of grandeur and inaptness to adapt to *real* threats.

This Elemental Town called Tie'Shianna you visit in the game is nowadays kept within a "Globule", in whih time and space have been frozen - like in the movie "Groundhog Day", all who live there live the same attack on the town again and again and again nd again and again ... The Elves were so mighty, then, that they were able tp preserve the whole town like that - and thus keep her from falling completely. Now, it is separated from the whole world through time & space.

And Philleasson had been there before (pen & paper campaign : "The Philleasson Saga"), and now he comes back, to rescue someone from there.

And the heroes follow him.

Well, at least so far, I have to agree with THQ. PS has not impressed me at all in the first stage. [...]

So you agree with THQ that the superb DraSa:RoT didn't deserve a retail release? Because the add-on PS sucks? ;)

In hindsight Radon Labs was between a rock and a hard place. They had to make PS because (a) they probably had a contract saying so and (b) to at least have a chance to turn things around due to a prolonged RoT life cycle. But unfortunately they didn't have the resources to make it properly.

Yes. PS (one could almost read it as a sad "P.S.") is their "goodbye" to the Drasa franchise.

Their very last games were Future Wars (old scool TBS) and a few minor casual games.

OOooohh! Now why couldn't they put what Alrik just said into the game? That's great information, Alrik!

Well, it was my interpretation as I wrote it (if you mean the "P.S.") … But the title was announced even when Drakensang 2 was in development, if I remember correctly (though at the end of the development cycle).
It came rather as an afterthought.

The story, however, is known to every TDE player who's deeper into the lore … Unfortunately that's Germans onl, and the story is so specil, it is understandable rather for fans only.
I think that even mainstream TDE players would have problems with it - unless they know the Philleasson Saga.
Which is one of the most favourite campains for TDE, by the way.

Edit : If you want to have more lore, then make sure to follow thios thread : http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14843

Plus, there are a few other threads here where I've explained some background information as well.

Now that I've completed the PS expansion, I think the criticism was largely unwarranted. In some area's, it gets a bit repetitive, true, but you DO have some riddles, and you DO have some new gear, which, if you all put it together, makes actually a pretty good armament. And some new alchemy too. For a small expansion, it isn't bad. The story gets a bit confusing, especially at the end (and if you don't know much about the dark eye lore), but all in all, while the expansion might not be superb, it's not crap neither. It's pretty ok, and a good deal for under 10 euro. For 29 euro, as some have said they had to pay, it's a bit steep a price, though. I would recommend waiting until the price drops below 10 euro's, and if you liked drakensang you will find it a welcome addition to the main game. You have to look at it as *a modest expansion* for the original game, not a complete game on itself, though.

Alas… little chance of a third game/edition. I would have liked that.

There are hints another TDE game could be announced at the RatCon this month.
The hints are very cryprtic, though, so I might be wrong as well ...

Sorry to intrude on the thread gentlemen, but I was just wondering if someone might offer advice on where best to pick up a boxed English version of Phileasson's Secret? It'd be nice to have both games and the expansion.

Thanks in advance.

Phileasson's Secret is going to be a tough find if you insist on getting a boxed copy. I imported RoT, but I've decided to just go with a digital version of PS when I get around to playing it. I've never seen a disc version of PS, even on sites like Ebay. For what it would cost you to import it, I don't think a retail copy is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom