Dark Souls II - Inteview @ OXM

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bandai Namco's Producer Takeshi Miyazoe is interviewed by OXM to talk about how they are targeting a a wider audience for Dark Souls II.

Dark Souls' greatest triumph was always its fairness. Yes, it was hard, but if you paid attention you could beat it - and if you failed it was probably your own fault, a few dementedly unforgiving boss battles aside. Dark Souls 2 will be a little more transparent in its dealings with the player, according to Bandai Namco producer Takeshi Miyazoe, without sacrificing the capacity for enigma that saw its predecessor become such a cult hit.

The marginally greater emphasis on accessibility will be felt at every level of the experience. Take melee, for instance. "It's a lot of things that happen behind the scenes, like the motion capture," Miyazoe told us at a hands-on event. "In the previous game, the player motions were hand-animated, whereas this time they're motion-captured by stunt artists." The result is a combat system that feels more intuitive, less "gamey" - it's a little easier to pick up on the cues that advertise a break in a combo, for instance.
More information.

I just have to shake my head in the kind of strong reactions this game elicits o_O
It is just a game you know :)

A bit over the top I agree...

Oddly enough it's one of the few games where people talk less about what they achieved but rather about the sense of achievement itself they got from the experience. *shrugs*

Heheh. I'm half-joking. I liked Dark Souls quite a bit. Didn't finish it as I got bored about halfway (?) through.

Just making fun of the crazy love-fest-hype it gets. I agree, it's just a game and personally I felt it had quite a few flaws. But I still like it.

Specifically, any mention of flaws or criticism of DS is usually met with "You are a bad player, learn how to play" or "You suck" or "You just don't understand!" or "It's 110% FAIR and you just suck as a gamer LOL"

There's an extremely touchy fan base who treat the game like it's their child.

Well personally I only respond to extreme claims that the game is "Impossible" and too hard and targeted to masochists and so on and so forth :) (like the ones you were doing on several threads ;) )

I think it misrepresents the game forcing your own personal experience as the sole interpretation of how the game works. when obviously lots of other people had a completely different one wouldn't you agree ? ;) Just offering a different viewpoint ...

Concerning hype. It always seems silly and over the top to me. Is it any different for TES the Witcher or any other franchise out there ?

I am horrible with any console game. I found DS enjoyable. I could not stand invasions, always getting killed as stated I am horrible with console games. I know I could not change to human form leaving me with the ugly hollow look. As Ovenall I did not finish and probably will not as I recently picked up The Last of Us for when I am on PS3 and have found it more enjoyable.

Well personally I only respond to extreme claims that the game is "Impossible" and too hard and targeted to masochists and so on and so forth :) (like the ones you were doing on several threads ;) )

I think it misrepresents the game forcing your own personal experience as the sole interpretation of how the game works. when obviously lots of other people had a completely different one wouldn't you agree ? ;) Just offering a different viewpoint …

Concerning hype. It always seems silly and over the top to me. Is it any different for TES the Witcher or any other franchise out there ?

Hype, yes. Every big game gets more or less similar hype.

I'm more teasing and talking about the Souls Bros who reject any criticism offhand and truly do see it as a dick measuring device. Just check out a DS forum or two.

I am horrible with any console game. I found DS enjoyable. I could not stand invasions, always getting killed as stated I am horrible with console games. I know I could not change to human form leaving me with the ugly hollow look. As Ovenall I did not finish and probably will not as I recently picked up The Last of Us for when I am on PS3 and have found it more enjoyable.

Hehe. I got so sick of invasions that I started letting them get near me... run around and avoid them a bit... more running. Then hit the power button. Vanquishes all Darkwraiths.

Did you guys try playing offline?

I found the game very enjoyable like that and being an exclusively SP gamer it would be the only way I would play it anyways (not done any mmo's or multiplayer once in more than a couple of decades of gaming ). In #1 they have tried to simulate the online aspects a bit with the NPCs you can summon, that can "invade" (very predictable and easy to handle) etc. The game is probably easier and a more "streamlined" experience like that and you don't have random trolls messing with your atmosphere and overall experience.
(I also conveniently have the gaming PC offline as a matter of fact, unless I want to DL something…)

In #2 they might have less support for this style of playing, and that is a bit of a concern,
but I am still not interested in the online aspect and am not going to change my ways for it :) (I have to note I find the design of their online aspect intriguing. A lot of novel ideas in there. Just definitely not my thing, coop, pvp etc..I am a gaming Hermit I guess :D)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom