Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Did any else notice it said C-RPGS? IMHO I don't think all of the games fits... at least I've not inculded any console titles in my list... otherwise it'd look very different. Also this is the list on the top of my head I am sure I've forgotten some great old C64 stuff, amiga stuff...... and PC games.. but it'll have only great games :)

1. Ultima 7 - Brilliance! still unsurpassed.
2. BaK - I love this game
3. Wizardry 8 - In some ways this deservers number one, it lasts forever, and the gameplay mechanics, character development and combat is fantastic.
4. Gothic
5. Gothic 2
6. Anachronox - some poor gameplay mechanics, but some parts of this game is so brilliant and funny, I've never laughed so much!
7. MM6 - Best MM game
8. Planescape Torment - I hated all the filler quests, but some parts of this game was great... though it was very uneven.
9. Wizardry 7 - Too much combat and many problems... but still has the wizardry brilliance.
10. Albion - Like someone else pointed out, great game!

I'd never add the BG games, and KOTOR is in the top 10 worst RPG, Oblivion is not even anywhere close to enter either, nor is any Diablo game. I know people will complain about this :D but I think that way so just disregard my list if you think it makes my opinions worthless.

Last edited:
What made you pick MM6 over MM7? While MM6 had better dungeons, the complex character development introduced in MM7 put it ahead in my book. Not saying you're wrong, just curious what made the difference to you.

Excellent question I was thinking about putting this in the comments, Like you said MM6 had better dungeons, the temple full of skeletons was really a classic, finally I almost started to dream about skeletons that is just how many they were hehe! I hate what happens towards the very end though, with all the modern stuff.

I kind of liked MM7 with the grandmaster, the split possibility in the story and the card game.... the character system was more complex too! But this game was easy, it doesn't matter if the character development system is good, if the dungeons are rather small and easy to complete since you don't really need to try and make the best of your characters. Adding grandmaster was a great idea though! But in the end there was just that "something" missing for me in MM7 that MM6 had which made me enjoy it more.

Hmmm, I'll keep this short and just list them (in no particular order):

Arx Fatalis
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Fallout 2
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
Rage of Mages (just because)

GG, I've played and enjoyed all the games on your list except the last one-Albion, which I've not heard of. Could you post a link or some details about the game, since your tastes seem to reflect mine!!

It is kind of an old game, but it has some really great moments! A pity bluebyte went the way as so many other great developers, well at least the dev team of Albion... look like BlueByte is making a combeback with settlers 2 gold :( It has a 2d view when you walk around and a 3d view inside the dungeons, you can see the monsters, but when you encounter them there'll be turn-based combat on a grid! The world of Albion is very rich... though the graphics is of course ancient by now.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/albion

BTW Corwin when will you post your list, I've been waiting for it!

Last edited:
Hi there!

Is it just me or do your top 10 lists look very different at each try too? I have to agree with the thread starter, that not all of the glorified "good old games" were actually that great. So there're a few newer titles (post mid-90s) on my list too...

1) Planescape: Torment
So many great games but if we need to pick only one, it would definitely be PST for me. It's maybe the only game that shows, not all using the Infinity engine are crap ; - ) It seems that "story" and "originality" must not be neglected in any game (especially in RPGs).

2) Fallout
I'm gonna mention only the first game, because there's not a lot of space on a top 10 list. Fallout was also a very unique game with decent game mechanics. Maybe the first game ever, that made me "feel" that my actions and decisions really take effect.

3) Realms of Arkania II - Startail
That's the game I played the most. It was the first ever bought game and I cannot count my visits anymore. Of course, the first game (Blade of Destiny) was a good one too and the third and last Dark Eye game (Shadows over Riva) was way better than many reviews stated. In Startail there's so much humour, it remembers me of games like Monkey Island in some ways.

4) Vampire The Masquarade: Bloodlines
Really crappy use of the Source Engine with lots of bugs and very poor performance. But what counts is the "believable" setting. All of the NPCs and quests are so unique and well-thought. For me it's the best Troika game (Arcanum was really good too and Greyhawk lacked only some polishing, but there's only 10 games to mention).

5) Gothic 2
A lot of german fans prefer the first Gothic game. I think that the second one had all good things of the previous one PLUS more of everything (bigger gameworld, more npcs, quests, items). Of course, the dragon story lacks a bit but Gothic stays the only modern game series where the whole society of the world is so believably integrated in the gameplay. You just have to mention one of the Gothics here.

6) Wizardry 8
A lot of fans do prefer the older Wizardry games (especially Crusaders of the Dark Savant) but in my opinion SirTech vanished with one of the best games ever made. The RPG system is just perfect and very diversified. The turn based combat system is often called the weak spot, but I like it very much. Story, Quests, everything's just fine.

7) Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Actually those are two games, but I really liked the combination of MMIV and V. I think that later games (VI and VII were really good ones too) just lack the improvements. If you know one of them, you know all. I even tried MMIX this year - but I could not force me to play more than an hour or so. IV and V that definitely were the hightlights of the series.

8) Dungeon Master 2
For years I was very busy with this one. Yes, I know the first Dungeon Master game as well. I just like DM2 more. The rune system seems to have inspired games like Arx Fatalis and Black & White. Interesting setting with cool monsters and a lot of bad weather ; - )

9) Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Nobody will know this game. I played it on the GameCube. Very interesting combat system and graphically nice presented exotic game world.

10) Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
It's too short, has a very simplified character developing system and is technically not up-to-date. But I just love this one. Very unique story with interesting multiple endings.

Hm... No Ultima game on my list. But if it had to be one, it would've been Ultima VII ; - ) If I would count games like Deus Ex as real RPG, it would be somewhere near place 1 on the list ; - )

So many games not mentioned. Should I have taken one of the "Eye of the Beholder" games into the top 10? Or maybe "Anachronox" (more an adventure game...), "Anito", "Prince of Qin", "Darkstone" (more hack 'n slash), ... hitlists suck!

GG, I would have severe difficulty listing only 10 games, even if I were allowed to use series as one game!! :)

It was difficult for me to, so I didn't think too much and took the ten top games that came to my mind... it doesn't have to be the completely accurate and best list ever.. just as good as possible. It'd be really interesting to see!

Listing series, and the favourite of each serie, as a list instead of every game does indeed make it easier. A good idea by Mithrandir.

Just to add : In the development of Albion developers of Ambermoon and Amberstar were also included.

I regard Albion as unique because of its different, very well developed cultures.

Here's a quick list, mostly off the top of my head. But I doubt much would change with further thought. Just based on my favorites...

1) Darklands - Depth, atmosphere and a real sense of freedom. The best of the best.
2) Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 - Scared the crap out of me, I was picking up arrows when the spider sounds started getting really loud... Nothing in front of me... Nothing to the left or right... THAT MEANS ITS BEHIND ME!!!
3) Prince of Qin - Great story, only crafting system I ever cared about. Lots of fun, but not for everyone.
4) Gothic - For all the reasons mentioned by others.
5) Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 - For the first time I really felt I was actually in a dungeon.
6) Dark Sun 1 & 2 - Great fun.
7) The Summoning (SSI) - Again, lots of fun.
8) Jagged Alliance - Great combat system.
9) Spelljammer - Sorry, but I loved the combat in this game.
10) Nox - Not a true RPG, but tons of fun, great humor and beautiful graphics.

Last edited:
Great thread, made me realize I never actually asked myself what I liked most plus it got me to remember so many memorable moments playing those games, thanks!

1. Fallout 2 (despite crap begining at Arroyo and Klamath, the atmosphere, the music, the sense of freedom, and oh so many memorable moments, everything that made Fallout 1 a great experience in "bigger and better"... oh give me a kiss to build a dream on... and my imagination...)
2. Fallout 1 (the game that really hooked me into video games... C64 Asteroids or Pac Man were fun but didn't turn me into a video game junkie like Fallout did)
3. Planescape: Torment (deep, strange, different, unique, all the things that sets it aside make me love it, what other game gets you to have a hilarious rude floating skull as companion!)
4. BG2 ("big", "everything an RPG can possibly have", your classic "damsel in distress", your classic plot surprise "who's really Bodhi?", your classic unforgettable quotes "understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fool!" by remarkably voice acted Sir Jonlet Irenicus himself, and so on... but there's just something about the story, about the atmosphere that wasn't dark, unique or special enough for me to put it above Fallout or Ps:T)
5. Kotor2 (preferred it over the first because of the darker, self-introspective story, I guess it reminded of me Fallout and Planescape: Torment)
6. Kotor1 (one of the greatest plot twist in a video game and use of the SW franchise)
7. Neverwinter Nights 2 (because i'm kind of anticipating how great of a game it will be once I'll be able to to retrospectively look at all the community developed to enhance it)
8. Arcanum (unique, deep, strange, different but not as much as Ps:T)
9. Baldur's Gate 1 (when it came out it was probably among my 3 all-time all-genre favorite games but for some reasons, 8 years later, it's not that memorable :( so I'm only putting at 9th, perhaps is it because of BG2 that out-bested it in every way ?)
10. Vampire: Bloodlines yet another superb unique game with a unique atmosphere delivered by Cain/Boyarsky/Anderson, character facial emotions had me remembering Shady Sands' village leader or Killian in Fallout 1 : the first time I ever experienced emotions on a face in a video game : they would turn to angry when you said something displeasing, it may sound stupid, but in 1997 that was something for me... don't forget everything started with Asteroids Pac Man Tetris and such, we came a long way :)

My true 10th would be JA2 but I don't really know whether it's "RPG" enough :)
I actually think my top 10 is more a matter of my favorite "atmospheres" rather than "games", with Fallout as number one atmosphere, then Planescape: Torment, then Baldur's Gate, then Kotor, then every other rather.
Kotor might be a better "game" than Ps:T but Ps:T was, beyond the game stricto sensus, a better "experience", in the end I think that's what dictates the choices in my top 10.
And I guess the fact I ran a Fallout and a Ps:T fansite make me partial towards em :)
Anyways, if I wanted just "fun", just a "great game", i'd still be playing Asteroids, Pac Man or SNes Super Mario Bros. Of all the words I can think of to describe Fallout, "fun" isn't among them, "funny" sometimes, but definitely not "fun", the begining of both was actually quite tedious. CRPGs aren't just games, they're an "intellectual experience", that is, that's how I love em :)

I cant pick and I wont judge my favorites one over another, they are all the best in their own way.

Here's mine

Heya :)

Here is my personal list, based more on the "emotional value" the games gave me:

1) Ultima Underworld II

2) Deus Ex 1

3) Bard's Tale I

4) Dungeon Master

5) Ultima IV

6) Ultima VII

7) Knights of the Old Republic 1

8) Pools of Darkness

9) System Shock 1

10) Baldur's Gate II

UUU, that one of the worst reviews I've ever seen from underdogs... no wounder I didn't hear about it!

I know - that one stopped me in my tracks! Normally it is much more matter-of-fact ... that was just blasting away!

Back
Top Bottom