Gothic New Gothic texture patch by ThielHater

JDR13
I am referring to, requiring the Multifunction key, as gaboru93 mentions, of course.
Why would someone want to remove Console game functionally out of a PC game?
Well cause it sucks. :)

gaboru93
Natch! :)

------------------------------------

Not to mention that PB themselves recognized that offering a choice for players to control the game was the correct method.

Allowing choice does Not mean eliminating how You choose to play the game but makes it More accessible to others.
Additionally, the game would become much more fluid and less mechanical as well allowing it to be more immersive.

Hell, I am still hoping one day someone will save G2 and make a Bluesky patch or even natural conditions for the OW as in all other levels of the game.

Does this mean everyone would have to use it, nope. :)
Yet for those who find the persistent Grey skies boring, dull, and detracting from the visual beauty and believability (i.e. immersiveness) of PB's work in the OW, it would be fantastic. :)

Jakendar had more reason to have grey skies at least temporarily than OW, though as the OW it too would have cleared once the evil was banished, if your premise for the Grey skies is the presence of the evil.

i'm not sure its the presence of evil that makes the skies fiting for me but the destruction that had happened since the dragons and orcs landed in khorinis. burning, pillaging, deforesting, all of those made the darker skies fitting to me and really set an immersive tone for me on top of what gothic already had. now that i think about it i was kind of dissapointed by that aspect in gothic 3. some aspects were done quite well around the cities but i wish all those huts and villages had a better story to tell either through artifacts, writings, or smoke and ash. there was a cool fishing hut off the southeast tip of varant though...

JDR13
I am referring to, requiring the Multifunction key, as gaboru93 mentions, of course.
Why would someone want to remove Console game functionally out of a PC game?
Well cause it sucks. :)
------------------------------------

I'm not sure I understand your comment. How could it be "Console game functionally" as you called it, when it was never developed for any console?

Are you refering to the fact that it was originally designed with just the keyboard in mind?

well... hte only thing that i would modify immediately would be the picking up! i have i have to press ctrl and up! though the combat is... i like it :D

Apparently, I'm the only one here who completely remaps the controls whenever I play Gothic (except the mouse, which can't be remapped). I use the mouse extensively. It's the only way I've ever played it, in fact.

This is off the top of my head (it's been a while), but I think Left-Click + Forward picks up things.

curiously undead
I have to agree the grey is reasonable for awhile if you attribute it to the destruction or the evil (brought up before in the past threads) but after weeks of time wind weather and rain would change this.
Technically I could be handled when you return in Chap 5 skies could be clearing, which could be weeks in game time depending on how you do your side quest.

Like I said though my idea isn't to force others to have a better looking game, after all this time I get the whole cloudy sky thing and I am tired of it, we spend hours in the OW.
I can't think of another quality game (or any game) that forces perpetually unexplained, unrealistic and mood breaking grey skies in a level for the duration of a game much less a 60 hour game, depending on play styles.

JDR13
Well I didn't originally know this either and just attributed it to old style keyboard only days of the 90s, also.
Then in a post (within the last year, iirc) Gorath posted that info saying something along the lines it was originally intended or developed for consoles.
I could be remembering incorrectly but either way using the Multifunction keys is still a bad idea for fluid gameplay.

Squeek
No not at all, don't feel alone, lots of people feel that way. :)

I have been asking about setting up the mouse for along time, so have others, most of us sadly seem not to speak German (source and tools are in German iirc) and many don’t know how to program it.

I have even asked in the German forums where Bluesky was made, for G2 but they didn’t seem interested in the idea, so maybe it’s the same for the keys.

Maybe some people find the games great due to the control system, I find it great for all the advances PB made in the genre like immersive story, character depth, fun combat (err except for the lack of user customization which sucks :p ), amazing geo-architecture and world effecting gameplay. :)

So to me it comes down to great if you like the controls and if you didn't like them and I had the ability to change them, I would just to help make the game more accessable to more people.

Sadly, it seems anyone whom could help fix the game, is to busy or not intrested. :(

I have tried to get Wesp (Unofficial Bloodlines patches) intrested in Gothic series so maybe he could fix these things but he does not like 3rd person only games and I don't know if he has programed in this programming language but since he is German he has the language skillz. :)

Well I didn't originally know this either and just attributed it to old style keyboard only days of the 90s, also.
Then in a post (within the last year, iirc) Gorath posted that info saying something along the lines it was originally intended or developed for consoles.
I could be remembering incorrectly but either way using the Multifunction keys is still a bad idea for fluid gameplay.

Very true. It was confirmed once more in a recent podcast interview (by PB's Björn Pankratz IIRC) that Gothic was originally made for consoles. Then the game world became too big to fit into any back-then-generation console's memory and they had to drop the console release plans.

The North American version of Gothic doesn't force you to use any multifuntion keys.

I never had any problems or complaints with the original Gothic's controls, they were quite fluid to me.

Seriously?
I did buy the UK version but this is the first I heard they removed the functionally of being forced to hit the Multi-Function Key "Ctrl" to perform all actions in game.

Did you also get a configurable mouse, if so hell I will look for the US version? :)

Not quite sure what you mean by "configurable mouse", I never had any reason to try to change the way the mouse functioned because it seemed fine to me.

The only functions(besides combat) that I can recall needing more than 1 button to be pressed were when you wanted to walk slowly(forward\up+whatever button you had walk assigned to), or to pick up items(forward\up+ left mouse).

I don't remember what the default key mappings are because I always remap everything to the number pad for 1st\3rd person games. I move WASD to 8456 and all the various actions to the surrounding keys, then I just slide my keyboard a little to the left. ;)

*Edit* Mmmm, is it possible that they simply switched "Ctrl" with the left mouse button for the US version?

Last edited:
If I'm remembering it right, left-click functions the same as the control key. Gothic actually plays a lot like Freelancer for me. I remap the keyboard commands there too, actually. But I steer the same way, using the mouse.

Configurable mouse is just the ability to set the mouse buttons for your personal play style which 90%+ games seem to support but afaik Gothic does not, so since you seem to have a differnet version, I wondered if you were able to set the mouse as well.

Ok, just checked that info and seems the Left Mouse is also used as a Multi-Function Key, at least in the UK version.
It still requires 2 Functions to achieve an action. i.e. LeftClick-W to pick up items, talk or attack.

So the US version sounds like it has removed the Multi-Function Console issues, gratz on the find, JDR13. :)

Wonder if the current version PB is selling from their site has the same US release update or if PB will release this as a patch, for current owners?

In my 1.08k version and pre-patched j(?) verision there is a Selectable function called "Alternitive Setting" which maps the standard w,s,a,d settings and of course the "Default Setting"

I really like the way you have to use the mouse+directional buttons simultaneously to attack in Gothic 1, even to the point that I choose to use the Gothic 1 scheme when playing Gothic 2.

Ok, before I go out and buy Gothic US version, your saying you don't have to use Multi-Funtions in your verision but you choose to, correct?

I am just getting confused here. :)

Addtionally about your perference for G1 scheme, do you think the game would be less fun if you only had to press one key per movement or action?

I.e supose that since there a four directional keys you could choose to set them to # keys 1-4 (or what ever), then if you wanted to make your forward attack you could just press the approprate key, say #1 each time you wanted that attack.

To me giving people choice is what makes quality without compromise and one of the reasons PB is so successful at their stories and quests, yet they fall short on gender and contol scheme choices.

Acleacius are you really faulting gothic for not letting you play a female. it would be a completely different game that would require a lot of quest/dialogue and npc crafting to make it work for a female character. i just don't think its even possible. and i'm with JDR on the combat, i too used the gothic 1 controls in gothic 2. i like the back and forth moving of the keys which in turn swings the weapon. it really makes it a lot more involving i think. although not entirely similar its a lot like driving a manual versus automatic versus manual transmission. with a stick/manual you are more directly tuned in to vehicle much like a multifunction command. the extra second may be small but it adds one more chance for your brain to establish a feedback connection, that to me simply adds enjoyment not labour.

Not sure "fault" is the right word but maybe short sided and defianlty a mistake.

I can't recall much if any dialogue would need to be changed, got an example? :)
It's not like they have to have romance options, doesn't seem necessary.

I like the back an forth movement, too.
Are saying it would not work unless you press an extra key first, that would be hard to believe, since timing would be smoother with less functions.

It would be like saying moving in a robitc fashion is more efficent, i.e. bending over to pick something up, first you bend at the wasit 90 degrees, then bend your knees in a complete secondary movment before picking something up, instead of a more fluid muscular movements.

Unless I am misunderstanding. :)

Remember I am not trying to tell yoiu how you like to play, I am just defending choice. ;)

Ok, before I go out and buy Gothic US version, your saying you don't have to use Multi-Funtions in your verision but you choose to, correct?

I am just getting confused here. :)

Addtionally about your perference for G1 scheme, do you think the game would be less fun if you only had to press one key per movement or action?

I.e supose that since there a four directional keys you could choose to set them to # keys 1-4 (or what ever), then if you wanted to make your forward attack you could just press the approprate key, say #1 each time you wanted that attack.

To me giving people choice is what makes quality without compromise and one of the reasons PB is so successful at their stories and quests, yet they fall short on gender and contol scheme choices.

I'm not exactly sure what it is you're looking for as far as the control scheme is concerned. I just know that you don't have to use the "Ctrl" key for anything in the US version .

If you're asking if there's a way to attack with a single button press, then no, you can't do that in Gothic 1 as far as I know.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything about Gothic 1, even if I had a choice.

Ahh, ok thanks, guess I misunderstood. :)

I had to use Google Fu, but I noticed the sky looked strange so I uninstalled the Bluesky patch I normally use and see now ThielHater made new skies, very nice. :)

Also, anyone have a link to Freddy's thread, I could swear he has the quality up to G2 quality for things like the ground and rocks, looks very good? :)

It certinally seemed possible to move G1 upto G2 graphic quality since from my llimited knowledge it's the same engine just upgraded, hope this is their intent.

Sounds like TheilHater is working currently on all the Plant life, as well.

I can't recall much if any dialogue would need to be changed, got an example? :)
It's not like they have to have romance options, doesn't seem necessary.

There are no romance options, true, but they would have needed a female voice actor for all those thousands of lines of dialogue and also a lot of additional editing work would have been required for stuff like replacing "him" and "he" in the written dialogues/subtitles with the female equivalent terms. I don't think that it would have been worth the effort or even made any sense for that matter. They had a male avatar in mind for this game and the world is overall very "manly", too. Can you seriously and honestly imagine a female character inside the barrier? She would have either needed to be fugly as hell or built like one of those wrestling chicks to stand a chance of not getting raped within the first five minutes ;) .

Back
Top Bottom