The Witcher 2 - Prison Break Video

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt Red has released a new Witcher 2 video titled Prison Break: Non Linearity in Story and Tactics, which you can watch at 4Players.de (English gameplay with German subtitles). The video shows the prison break we've seen before but demonstrates some of the different ways the sequence can play out, presumably based in part on previous choices. This particular video also uses something like BioWare's "narrative framing", with Triss and Zoltan arguing about how the escape actually happened - although it isn't clear if this is actually in the game or was put together for this video.
Spoilers apply, of course.
More information.

That... was... great!
The whole idea of having Triss & Zoltan describe it was very clever too.

And we can do stealth kills now? And Geralt is Batman? Great! (no joke... I love it!)

I'm altering my expectations for this game now:
if I don't like it enough to consider it the best of the last 5 years at least it will be a huge disappointment.

Nothing like modest expectations ;)
Meh… I don't think I'm the kind of person who normally avoids relying on expectations or forming opinions too early. So I figure I might as well have this one at least :D.

Which might mean that you might see me here after its release ranting and raving about how it's the worst game ever because they changed the dwarves' beards to shorter ones or some other dumb detail… but I hope I might still be able to avoid that.

(Edit: Stupid double negative changed the meaning of sentence… hopefully what I meant was understood regardless.)

Meh… I don't think I'm the kind of person who normally avoids relying on expectations or forming opinions too early. So I figure I might as well have this one at least :D.

Which might mean that you might see me here after its release ranting and raving about how it's the worst game ever because they changed the dwarves' beards to shorter ones or some other dumb detail… but I hope I might still be able to avoid that.

Well, to be honest, I think the game looks pretty damn good myself ;)

Wow, great video that makes the game play look very appealing. Nice touch about the two different escape story versions too.

Strange… I remember The Witcher having quite a bit of gameplay.

Yeah I guess it had modern gameplay.. that is you had to click one mouse button in rapid succession in order to complete the game on the hardest difficulty.

Yeah I guess it had modern gameplay.. that is you had to click one mouse button in rapid succession in order to complete the game on the hardest difficulty.

The combat system was abysmal, that's true. It wasn't about rapid succession, though, but timing. Just like Dragon's Lair from waaaay back ;)

I'd argue that world exploration, NPC interaction, and things of that nature is part of the gameplay.

Not necessarily good gameplay, but it was there.

Now, for TW2 - it seems that combat is more freeform, which would be a gigantic step up from the first game. The same seems to be the case for the exploration, and it seems to be a lot less linear.

I think it's looking like one of the best CRPGs in recent memory - but I refuse to buy into the hype!

Well... it had very controversial gameplay and I have no problem with people not liking it... but what you describe here is pretty much the best way to die in the first battle on the easiest difficulty.

Since that's not possible, I'll just have to assume you didn't play very far.

Really? and which combat exactly couldn't you complete in this way? maybe it was a bug but as long as you didn't miss the timing of clicking the button to chain togheter the combos you'd win all the battles in this way. Ok. sorry except for 3 boss battles.

but what you describe here is pretty much the best way to die in the first battle on the easiest difficulty.

I didn't play it on easy just on hard so.. and it worked perfectly for every battle.. it might be easy is much harder though but... perhaps you need to practice your clicking… maybe get a mac mouse ( it only has one button :D )

ok ok I admit I did use one potion that is true, the one which regenerates your health over time. And also in case my health would get low for an occasion I ran around for sometime until it was full again. Both these two things were even more boring than the endless clicking of one mouse button though.

Back
Top Bottom