Chris Roberts new game

I don't know any MMOs that allows people to host their own modded servers legally or that allows me to play offline.

I was a fan of the wing commander games. Doesn't mean that I'm going to be starstruck by the devs. If Obsidian came out with a kickstarter for an MMO, I woulda been just as :|

If you want to pretend it's an MMO - that's fine by me. But if you can't make your point rational or even slightly convincing - then do you really think it helps your crusade against multiplayer games that share some features with MMOs?

It's ok to hate things you don't understand - but please don't take it out on others.

I'm sure you have good reasons for being overly emotional when it comes to multiplayer games - but I doubt it's healthy to let them overwhelm your clarity of sight.

In case anyone is interested there's a live Q&A with Chris Roberts about SC going on right here right now :) .

Well, it could be an MMO. An up front payment with a central server that takes some microtransactions to keep going. That's the Guild Wars 2 model.

Thing is, it doesn't have to be. You can also set up your own server and even mod it to taste. You could invite your friends to play on it or not. That harkens back more to Trade Wars and the old Multi-User Dungeon BBS games. So wouldn't this be more of a MUD than an MMO?

Ah well, it's all just nomenclature anyway.

I'm extra cranky cuz our water had been out for a whole day when I posted that and now is up to several days, so I'm being a bit hostile-r than I should be, perhaps.

But! I still stand by the game looking a little too MP oriented for me. And I love MP games! I play all the shooters and race morons in public NFS matches and everything. I just don't want one of those here. I just miss all the fun I had in Privateer.

I'm extra cranky cuz our water had been out for a whole day when I posted that and now is up to several days, so I'm being a bit hostile-r than I should be, perhaps.

But! I still stand by the game looking a little too MP oriented for me. And I love MP games! I play all the shooters and race morons in public NFS matches and everything. I just don't want one of those here. I just miss all the fun I had in Privateer.

Fair enough...

I think this is as close to a modern Privateer as you're likely to get. You can play with who you want - or you can play completely alone.

The more I hear about it, the more I'm certain it's not another Freelancer. The multiplayer component seems somewhat similar, but the single player part seems to be mission based and more of an introduction to the multiplayer part than the focus of the game.

A real shame in my opinion.

The more I hear about it, the more I'm certain it's not another Freelancer. The multiplayer component seems somewhat similar, but the single player part seems to be mission based and more of an introduction to the multiplayer part than the focus of the game.

A real shame in my opinion.

Ehm, Freelancer was also mission based? Unless I misunderstand your meaning.

Kickstarter will end in just a few hours.

I have to quote something from it:
Why direct and no publisher?

Publishers are useful in the old physical distribution world, but the Internet is the great equalizer. Notch didn’t need a publisher to reach 20-million Minecraft fans. Riot games didn’t need a publisher to reach 30-million League of Legends players, and Wargaming.net didn’t need a publisher to reach 20-million World of Tanks gamers. If we were building a big “AAA” console game it would be crazy to try without a publisher. But we want to build a PC game and publishers increase costs because of their need to recoup their sizable overhead cost. We want to make sure all the money raised goes directly to the development of the game. So we’re throwing ourselves on the mercy of the PC gamers out there that share our vision and passion for the platform and the space combat genre to raise money outside of the “cartel” of traditional publishers. The game will cost less, be more creatively pure, and, most importantly, be built for the real “core” audience – not some corporate suit worried about including all the casual gamers.

I don't think it will be what Maylander assumes which is basically Star Trek Online. If it was like that, then it'd be for corporate suits/casual gamers.

Ehm, Freelancer was also mission based? Unless I misunderstand your meaning.

Starlancer was mission based. Freelancer was Skyrim in space. Hopefully I just misunderstood some of the quotes by Roberts, but the single player sounded more like Starlancer than Freelancer.

I don't think it will be what Maylander assumes which is basically Star Trek Online. If it was like that, then it'd be for corporate suits/casual gamers.

Why? Because only casual gamers or corporate suits like games with multiplayer focus? That's crazy. The most hardcore gamers in the world are multiplayer gamers. By far.

Starlancer was mission based. Freelancer was Skyrim in space. Hopefully I just misunderstood some of the quotes by Roberts, but the single player sounded more like Starlancer than Freelancer.

They're both mission based, actually. But Starlancer was strictly linear ala Wing Commander. In Freelancer - you had a linear story that led you from place to place and mission to mission - but you also had some freeform aspects with stuff like trading. It was very much a modern Privateer.

Unless I misunderstood something, Roberts intends for this game to be more like Freelancer than Starlancer. That said, there's definitely a much stronger emphasis on multiplayer - and I think that's extremely appropriate given the genre.

Here's one of the quotes that troubles me, taken from the following article:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/chris-roberts-on-multiplayer-single-player-and-instancing/

"The same instance system underpins the single player Squadron 42. If you’re playing off-line, your computer will be acting as the server and client, there will be no opportunities for friends to join and everyone will be an NPC. But if you play Squadron 42 through the Galaxy Server, even though your missions and space areas are pre-determined (you don’t get to pick where in the galaxy you are flying if you’re in the military) we will allow your friends to drop in / drop out to take over NPC wingmen and if you want extra skill ranking you can allow other players to drop in and take over enemy ace characters. This system is pretty similar to the Demon’s Souls setup where people could drop in as a Blue Phantom to help you kill a boss monster or fight off another invading player, or you could drop in as a Black Phantom to someone else’s world and try and kill them for XP and other gamerewards."

That sounds very similar to Starlancer's mission system, and the system most space sims use, and not at all like Freelancer where you can roam around and do missions all over the place. Yes, the main story will lead you by the nose if you allow it, but that's no different than Oblivion or Gothic or any other open world game. Being teleported via load screens from one mission to the next is a very different experience, and one I'm not fond of at all.

That sounds very similar to Starlancer's mission system, and the system most space sims use, and not at all like Freelancer where you can roam around and do missions all over the place. Yes, the main story will lead you by the nose if you allow it, but that's no different than Oblivion or Gothic or any other open world game. Being teleported via load screens from one mission to the next is a very different experience, and one I'm not fond of at all.

I admit, I only saw the promotional video - but it's my understanding that this military campaign is just part of the game. As I understand it, it's more like a tutorial or optional linear experience. But the meat of the game is supposed to be like Freelancer multiplayer with an expanded feature set - or at least I hope so.

However, I'm not sure if missions in the dynamic universe on the persistent servers will be truly "cinematic" in nature. Most likely, it will be text-based missions with some voice overs.

But it's hard to say, at this point.

Squadron 42 is a campaign in the game universe. You can go AWOL, finish your tour and become independent or never join the military.

At first I was a bit skeptical considering the perceived emphasis on the on-line component but from what I have understood, Squadron 42 is a full game on its own in the vein of Wing Commander and Star Lancer, exactly what I am looking for.

I went for physical instead of digital in which case you are automatically granted a pledge ship, which caused me to get interested in Star Citizen as well. (After all, since access is free anyway, I might as well try it out). This is the first time that I am actually excited to play an on-line game and I already see myself as a bounty hunter ridding space of pirating scum :).

They are well on their way towards the impressive 6M$ stretch goal, which I hope they reach since I definitely want that full orchestral score.

6 millions achieved!

With the "secret investors", this game will have a AAA budget (~20 millions).

and now the wait begins. I'm waiting on a lots of games from Kickstarter now...

I finally caved in.

2 points got to me in the end.

¤1, I built my first computer for wing commander and privateer (the one with clive owen) and I have this nice joystick that I haven't used for years.

¤2 His remarks about PC gaming. I am so pissed, angry and all out dissatisfied with the way most developers and publishers have treated the PC platform. The last nail in that coffin came with ME3. "Animations limited because of console memory limitations and one hit wonder button"

After that, any game that I can play on PC without being short changed in my experience because developers mainly develop for consoles and port to PC as an afterthought is something that I want to support.

and its space!
I want more space and sci fi!

C

6 millions achieved!

With the "secret investors", this game will have a AAA budget (~20 millions).

and now the wait begins. I'm waiting on a lots of games from Kickstarter now…

No… It's 5.5M total. Still impressive, I didn't think it'll have such success, honestly. They've asked for 500K on kickstarter and got over 2M in the end, who would have thought that possible?

As for being AAA… Who cares really? On one side you have greedy publishers that invest in AAA title only if it'll be a boring grinder. On the other, our side, with so many details known about the game, with a good presentation and hell with a promise that doesn't feel we'll get FableHorsebutt4 game - we see Star Citizen game as fun and thus we supported it without thinking if it'll be AAA title or not.

The kickstarter just got closed and the money part on it is: $2,133,182.
The official site is currently down (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-project/ ), probably because of too many pings. ;)

EDIT:
Man, you were right!!! On official site it's now a total of: $6,228,368
Unbelievable.

Where are all those noname publisher managers to see this?

As for being AAA… Who cares really?

Where are all those noname publisher managers to see this?

Wasn't exactly about Star Citizen being a AAA games and more about the game having a really big budget, yet probably promising x10 what most AAA games promise. They also are doing development all over the world.

Don't give them ideas, next they will ask $250 for games...

They already almost do. I'm seeing on iPhone crap "free" games that in fact have an ingame shop that asks you to pay 100$ or more for additions in the game. Not add-ons, no sir! I'm talking about for example an additional building or one additional unit in a strategy game.

Back
Top Bottom