WAR Online - Free Until Shutdown

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mythic announces that Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is free until shutdown as a gift to all past, and present players.

A Parting Gift

Greetings Warhammer players,

Effective immediately we will be turning off the ability to apply one month subscriptions and game time codes to Warhammer Online accounts and removing the ability to open new Warhammer Online accounts.

To give Warhammer Online a proper sendoff we are opening the game to anyone free of charge that has or had an account in good standing starting October 31st, 2013. We will be adding new NPC’s to the game in order to power up your characters as well as other unique experiences for everyone to enjoy as we say goodbye to Warhammer Online over the next few weeks. So please join us and help say goodbye to Warhammer Online in one last big WAAAGH!

See you soon!

Warhammer Team
More information.

Last edited:
Does this mean EA will close Mythic?
Or they've learned after Ultima Online that more cash can be made with phonegames scam-o-rama?

Who would want to play a progression-based game that's going to shut down in the near future?

That's a real bummer. I only lasted a month or so with that game when it first launched, but it came so close to being a really great game. Sorry to hear it's shutting down, even though I wasn't exactly a fan.

Who would want to play a progression-based game that's going to shut down in the near future?

Well, not everybody playes it as a progression-based game. I play MMOs for the journey, not the destination. In fact, reaching max level usually means game over for me (or try another character). So for people like me, free is free :)

I think it's more for people who stopped playing to come say goodbye. Think of it has participating at a funeral, not progressing in a game.

Well, not specifically WAR, I was talking about MMOs in general. Doesn't WAR have a typical quest-style MMO part with the PvP being optional?

In general, most MMOs DO have a significant story aspect. But I was talking about WAR - not other MMOs.

WAR was designed as a PvP game from the start, and PvE was included because of WoW and the massive demand from MMO fans - and it's obvious that it was never part of the original design.

However, I don't know if that changed after I stopped playing. I rather enjoyed the game for a couple of months upon release - but the PvE was totally mindless. I don't remember ANYTHING story related - but I'm sure they had some text here and there ;)

In any case - I would never personally want to invest in a progression-based social experience if it was going to shut down in the near future. But that's me.

If people play something like WAR for something other than progression or something that's supposed to perpetually evolve over time - then I've learned something new.

Saying goodbye I can understand - but that can be done in 5 minutes. I'd just be frustrated knowing that every mob I killed or every area I conquered would be meaningless in the very near future. But that's just me.

Sounds like torture to me and free torture doesn't appeal, for some reason. But I guess EA are trying to be their usual magnanimous selves ;)

Well in that case it's probably better to play SW:TOR after all, at least there is story there, and it's sort of free.

I don't spend my time on games based on whether they're free or not - but whether they're worth my time or not ;)

But I'm already playing SWtOR - and it's quite good.

I'm also a subscriber - because I prefer not to miss out on anything.

But I'm already playing SWtOR - and it's quite good.

Wait, so your opinion of TOR has shifted to "quite good" again? I remember that it "looked" good in beta, then it fell from grace. But apparently, you like it again. So it's worth it? I've never been able to spend more than some hours on it. Maybe I'm getting too old to play MMOs. :p

Wait, so your opinion of TOR has shifted to "quite good" again? I remember that it "looked" good in beta, then it fell from grace. But apparently, you like it again. So it's worth it? I've never been able to spend more than some hours on it. Maybe I'm getting too old to play MMOs. :p

What? Are you saying I'm one of those monsters that occasionally change my mind about games? Burn me at the stake NOW!

If you look through my posts regarding SWtOR - you'll find an explanation for how my opinion has changed throughout. It's been a bumpy ride for sure.

It was a massive disappointment - and it's nothing like it should have been.

But once I got past that and accepted how they squandered its potential, there's still something left that's worth playing.

It's one of the better MMOs for solo questing - because the voice overs make the experience more compelling than with pure text, and who doesn't like Star Wars.

The actual quests are bland and unimaginative - but the writing behind them is usually quite good.

Classes are mostly mixtures of WoW classes, but that's not a bad thing - because WoW has some of the best classes of all time. I actually like most classes in SWtOR - and that's rare for me.

The animations are great - and they've fixed it up so it runs OK in most situations.

Crafting sucks, atmosphere on planets is mostly weak, space segment is weak, PvP is mediocre and they abandoned Ilum completely - which was basically the primary reason I wanted to play it initially.

Oh, lots and lots of downsides - but overall, it's still a pretty good MMO.

Back
Top Bottom