Pricewatch!

Why all day? The offers always change at the same time (10 am PST).

The items on sale seem constant, but the prices do appear to fluctuate. For example, the aforementioned Gothic games were 1.99 for Gothic2 Gold & Gothic3 at around noon. Now theyre 4.99 at 8:45pm.

I picked up Resident Evil 5 for like 12.50 the other day, just to see it go higher that evening. When you see an astounding deal on there, best to grab it whilst you can!

Bought a Farewell for Dragons:

The review here forgot to mention that it had 1990s gfx..

Plays like Baldur's gate, but with a crap GUI (did I mention shit GUI?) and so far a "stiff" translation in the first few chapters.. i.e. the game itself is shaping up to be dire at best…

(It's like a shareware title in quality, a no budget one at that!)

[EDIT]
Oh and hey Steam has Civilization games at the same fucking price they did yesterday even though they're highlighted as a special today sale price... go figure... ?!
[/EDIT]

The items on sale seem constant, but the prices do appear to fluctuate. For example, the aforementioned Gothic games were 1.99 for Gothic2 Gold & Gothic3 at around noon. Now theyre 4.99 at 8:45pm.
You are right, I noticed that now. Fortunately, I have those games already as DVD (Gothic Universe) .

Steam: X-COM: Complete Pack (X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Enforcer, X-COM: Interceptor, X-COM: Terror From the Deep, X-COM: UFO Defense): $3.74, ok guess it's time to buy it lol

The Guild II and it's pirates expansion for 6$ n change right now.

Been wanting to check the Guild series out, looks like this'll be the chance

The current issue of German magazine "PC Games" (which roots in the early 90s) comes with "King's Bounty : The Legend.

Plus another game, a Mechwarrior gme, I think (I'm no Mechwarrior expert at all.)

Price : 6 Euros normal edition with DVDs (there is also one edition without any discs at all awailable, thus without any game also), 7 or 8 Euros for the so-called "extended edition" (3 DVDs).

Steam has Titan Quest for 4.99 Euros. Also Star Wars Galaxies for the same price. And Thief Deadly shadows for 2.99.

A Farewell to Dragons $7.48 at Gamersgate (also King's Bounty and other 1c games at 75% discount)

The latest sale at GoGamer.com features Mass Effect 2 for $17.90

They also have Bioshock 2 for $22.90

Also.. Spellforce Platinum for $6.90

I'm really surprised seeing Mass Effect 2 going for that price only 5-6 months after its release.

I'm really surprised seeing Mass Effect 2 going for that price only 5-6 months after its release.

I'd be surprised if it was that price anywhere else, but GoGamer.com has some crazy sales sometimes. It's only that price for 72 hours though…

Does anyone actually make a profit with such kind of sales?

You have to consider the marketing value, the 'bait&switch' type of tactics. You go there for that game at $1.90, several things happen:
- You are in the site, might see other things you want to buy.
- Brand recognition: You now visited the site, the name 'GoGamer' did some rounds in your brain, it's now not an unknown site.
- Viral marketing: So, it made it into the Pricewatch thread here, and surely in many other threads in many other forums.
- Two Worlds 2: At this time whoever was really interested in the Two Worlds already bought it. Two Worlds 2 is coming, what best way to market it than have lots of new people buy Two Worlds 1 that otherwise weren't interested? Sell it cheap, then they'll buy TW2 when it comes out at full price if they liked #1.

Very good points ! Very good points !

I would add another point:

The boxed retail games have already been manufactured and they're circulating in the channel. The publishers / distributors have to find a way to get rid of their excess inventory to make space for new products. Digging a hole in the desert isn't as easy as it used to be, and shredding them costs money. Selling them per pallet may still make a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom