Terrorism in Russia

magerette

Hedgewitch
What is going on in the world lately? I understand that the economic situation is tied into political unrest, but it seems like every day an entirely new area of the world hits the news with some extreme act of violence.

Russia's Ingush Leader in Grave Condition

Could someone with some understanding of ethnic groups and the political situation in Russia explain this one to me? This man is apparently a Muslim political figure in a Muslim area of Russia who was car bombed by a suicide bomber. Why?

Ugh. Caucasus. Complicated.

Extremely short version: the character in question was working for the Kremlin, and was therefore regarded as an apostate and a traitor to his people by the people who whacked him.

That said, it doesn't take much to get yourself offed in the Caucasus; usually it's just a blood feud that goes back six hundred years to some dispute about a donkey, or something.

Every time I read anything about that region I panic - especially Chechnya. What happened in Grozny, man... o_O

Thanks. Makes more sense now. Any larger political implications for Medvedev's government? That "direct and severe response " line doesn't sound like they're happy about it at all.

Thus far, none that I know of. The region is a mess, and there's always something simmering under the surface; Moscow is going to come down hard as it usually does. They've got the insurgency pretty much under control at this time; we'll see if things get out of hand.

That said, it doesn't take much to get yourself offed in the Caucasus;

That has been my general understanding for a very long time ... and it really isn't that complicated: if you believe in something even a little then most people hate you and a lot are willing to kill you.

Back
Top Bottom