Divinity 2 - German Voices Completed

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
According to this post on the official forum all the German voices for Divinity 2 have been recorded. The post states there are 100.000 words that were recorded in some 10.000 takes and cover the voice for about 400 characters.
A list of names of those who participated follows but that list will mean nothing unless you watch German television or go to German cinemas.
The question that rises at the moment is: How about the English voices?
More information.

I'd rather they skip the voices altogether rather than do it half-heartedly. Voice acting is really hard to do well. Most translated voice work sucks. Divinity 2 sure is taking its sweet precious time coming to market.

I'm not sure what the translated version is. I think it's a game with English texts, translated to German, just like the previous 2 games. That doesn't say anything about the quality of the English voce acting. The voice acting for Beyond Divinity got a lot of criticism and they redid the voice acting because of that. Personally I didn't think the result was an improvement, but I belief a majority felt it was better.

As long as there is voice acting in it I'm happy.

As long as it contains sub-titles I'm happy.

I've always heard that the Germans use top notch voice talent in their games. Can anyone give a specific equivalent (compared to US Television) to the type of talent they're able to land?

I've always heard that the Germans use top notch voice talent in their games.

Well, there are some games with really good translations and voice-overs but generally I'd say that those games are still the exception rather than the rule. A lot of games suffer from poor translation and poor monotonous or stilted voice-overs.
That's why I still buy just about every game in its original version from the UK. The other reason is that UK imports are usually even a lot cheaper than the local German dubbed versions.
Of course I don't buy genuine German games (like the Anno series or the Gothics) from the UK. Voice acting in original German games is usually not a problem as long as it is a AAA game.

Can anyone give a specific equivalent (compared to US Television) to the type of talent they're able to land?

For Divinity 2 they got the guy who did the German voice for Marlon Brando, John Goodman and Samuel L Jackson in a lot of movies. Another guy is the German voice of Gene Hackman. Yet another one is Robert Mitchum's German voice and yet another one voiced Ben Affleck. And on the female side we got the German voices of Angelina Jolie and Christina Ricci.
So all in all we're talking about very high profile talent.

As long as there is voice acting in it I'm happy.
Alrik Fassbauer said:
As long as it contains sub-titles I'm happy.

As long as there is some decent voice acting and subtitles and the dialogue is interesting, I'm happy. :biggrin:

Oh, wait. I haven't even played any Divinity game!! Well, not yet, anyway. ;)
I'm beginning to take interest in this.

problem with german dub is, ther are no accents.

no oxford english, no jamaican, no south american.
only straight german.

and thats kinda boring.

Well, there are some games with really good translations and voice-overs but generally I'd say that those games are still the exception rather than the rule. A lot of games suffer from poor translation and poor monotonous or stilted voice-overs.
That's why I still buy just about every game in its original version from the UK. The other reason is that UK imports are usually even a lot cheaper than the local German dubbed versions.

I tend to agree. Most companies rather cut down gopod translations & voice-overs, instead they spend that money rather for the world's biggest market: The English language. This is my purely personal impression.

About the UK imports I can't say anything, but I wouldn't be surprised on the other hand.

problem with german dub is, ther are no accents.

no oxford english, no jamaican, no south american.
only straight german.

and thats kinda boring.

You want your saxonian dwarves back? ;)

Back
Top Bottom