NWN2 - Original Forums Closed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Thrasher notes the original BioWare NWN1 and NWN2 forums have been closed by BioWare. We knew the shift to the new Social Network would happen eventually but there doesn't appear to have been a specific warning, leaving some players frustrated at the loss of the old infomation. Thread here at the Social Network.
More information.

Last edited:
Actually, I liked Trasher better!! :D

Bioware looking to save some money. Looks like the old republic game looks terrible. One of the worst animations i have seen to dat on an mmo. I guess they need to save some money after that blunder.

Timing might've had something to do with lulzec going around stealing poorly protected website/forum account info.

Sad to see this treasure trove of info now gone.

That said this has always been Atari's responsibility to provide an eventual move and provide it's customers with the continuation of these forums, since THEY are the owners and publishers of this product.

Not BioWare and EA.

Apparently Atari doesn't care much.

I heard they got hacked also.

This could be the reason :

They closed them because they were hacked ???

No - that is a lame excuse they can try to fob upon us ... but closing down specific *old* forums due to a hack that would more likely get useful data from newer forums? Makes no sense.

Sad to see this treasure trove of info now gone.

That said this has always been Atari's responsibility to provide an eventual move and provide it's customers with the continuation of these forums, since THEY are the owners and publishers of this product.

Not BioWare and EA.

Apparently Atari doesn't care much.

Oh how dare they let this invaluable treasure of memories be squandered like this, the insensitve brutes :rolleyes:

No - that is a lame excuse they can try to fob upon us … but closing down specific *old* forums due to a hack that would more likely get useful data from newer forums? Makes no sense.

Bioware came up with an idea to allow players to store their CDKeys on their account to reduce the number of complaints about lost ones (SoU manuals had a printing problem so they sent them out in a little red piece of paper. Brilliant!). Almost everyone I now kept a backup up there.

So, if these folks have your account, they have your CDKey. A common target and I believe these have a habit of getting sold on the black market.

No - that is a lame excuse they can try to fob upon us … but closing down specific *old* forums due to a hack that would more likely get useful data from newer forums? Makes no sense.

What proof do you have to accuse them of lying? Also, what you are saying actually makes no sense because this kind of hack that is only geared towards stirring up some shit (see Bethesda, Epic hacks and so on...) would definitely be targeted at easy prey (= old, poorly protected forums) rather than a new, presumably well guarded network that would take actual skill to get unauthorized access to.

Nope. No conspiracy alert here, I'm afraid. I find it much more likely that they are telling the truth and that the old forums got hacked simply because they were much more vulnerable and had a much lesser level of protection and security than the shiny new social forums.

Anyway, here's BioWare's official blurb and EA's FAQ on the hack.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/6/index/7653193

Important Information for BioWare & EA Account Holders

Yesterday (June 14), we learned that a hacker gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare community server system associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched an ongoing evaluation of the seriousness of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. However hackers may have obtained information such as user account names and passwords, email addresses, and birth dates of approximately 18,000 accounts--a very small percentage of total users. We have emailed those whose accounts may have been compromised and either disabled their accounts or reset their EA Account passwords. If you did not receive an email from us, or if your password still works for your EA account, your username and password were not compromised. Nevertheless, changing your password regularly is always helpful to protect your account.

"We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on the Neverwinter Nights forums are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing your password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-866-543-5435. "

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's the reason behind the forums going down so rapidly.

I don't get the feeling that it's a permanent closure...

Back
Top Bottom