Skyrim Next TES game - what setting are you hoping for?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
D

DArtagnan

I'm placing this thread here - because there's no general TES section that I could find.

Anyway, I've been thinking about what setting I'd most like to see for the next game. Inspired by the Morrowind vs Skyrim thread - I think it would be an interesting topic.

As I've already said, I'm not a big fan of either of those two settings. Morrowind was too brown and too weird for my tastes. Skyrim did the Nordic setting very well - but I'm not a fan. It's too bleak, too barren and too cold.

I like variety - and I love lush forests and fertile natural environments in general. I also like RPGs that have all the traditional environments, including deserts, snow, swamps, jungles, forests, fields - and so on. The more variety in one game the better.

My favorite D&D setting is probably Spelljammer - because it has the most potential to include massive variety. On top of that, it has the "pirates in space" thing going for it, which is cool in itself.

Anyway, back to TES.

Assuming they're not going back to a setting they've already focused on - these are the ones we can probably expect them to choose from:

Highrock
Hammerfell
Valenwood
Elsweyr
Black Marsh
Solstheim (unlikely - as it's really small and already been part of the games)
Summerset Isles

Feel free to add more if I forgot something!

I also assume they're not going the Daggerfall route and including them all - because that's just too much work for one game to do by hand.

Personally, I think Valenwood (home of the Bosmer) would be really cool. Certainly, it's supposed to have lots of lush forests - and that's just my thing. Also, I think Black Marsh (Argonian) has great potential as an unfamiliar and highly atmospheric setting. I love jungle/rainforest stuff - and it has that dark swampy approach that would make for some great exploration.

What would you prefer - and why?

I just saw videos of the tropical mod for Skyrim (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ui1l-12OQs) and I must say it looks fantastic. It's also rather different compared to Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, so it would make sense in terms of variety. I don't remember too much of Tamriel's geography, but I suspect Valenwood is the best fit for a tropical setting.

Yeah, I saw that mod too and it does indeed look really impressive. But I don't know if it changes the quests? Because otherwise it would be really strange to have a tropical setting in a game that's saturated in "cold winter" lore.

Still, it goes to show how amazing mods can be.

I suspect the next game might be set on the Sumurset Isles because I remember some rumor about it.
I'd rather see a game set in Valenwood, though, because I'd like to see the moving tree cities (and I like Bosmer).
Elsweyr would be fun if they included all previous types of Khajiit including the Ohmes-raht.
No Blackmarsh for me, thank you. Argonians are not my kind of people.
I'd also love to see Orsinium as a setting as I can relate to the ES Orcs, and since Skyrim they are rather handsome folks at that :D.
Then again, I'd like to see a game exploring either the past or the future (return?) of the Dwemer. Assyrian Steampunk Elves, now that might make for an interesting setting.

I don't think we'll see a game set in the Iliac Bay region anytime soon as that seems to be a major part of TES Online, along with most of the rest of the world that has been explored already.

I suspect the next game might be set on the Sumurset Isles because I remember some rumor about it.
I'd rather see a game set in Valenwood, though, because I'd like to see the moving tree cities (and I like Bosmer).
Elsweyr would be fun if they included all previous types of Khajiit including the Ohmes-raht.
No Blackmarsh for me, thank you. Argonians are not my kind of people.
I'd also love to see Orsinium as a setting as I can relate to the ES Orcs, and since Skyrim they are rather handsome folks at that :D.
Then again, I'd like to see a game exploring either the past or the future (return?) of the Dwemer. Assyrian Steampunk Elves, now that might make for an interesting setting.

I don't think we'll see a game set in the Iliac Bay region anytime soon as that seems to be a major part of TES Online, along with most of the rest of the world that has been explored already.

So, that's two for Valenwood :)

No, I don't like Argonians much either - and that would be the biggest turn-off in terms of that setting.

But, just like Morrowind - I assume you'd get to meet plenty from the other races as well.

I just think the dark swamp atmosphere has huge potential :)

Well, always assuming they actually stick to their own lore (unlike in Oblivion...), Valenwood would indeed be cool, and I suppose, feasible with modern technology. Sumurset would also be fun, high Elven society is weird and politically very incorrect, which could be a fun thing to explore.
But my true preference would be an interesting combination, like Elsweyr and Valenwood, with a clash of cultures and very contrasting landscapes.

Well, always assuming they actually stick to their own lore (unlike in Oblivion…), Valenwood would indeed be cool, and I suppose, feasible with modern technology. Sumurset would also be fun, high Elven society is weird and politically very incorrect, which could be a fun thing to explore.
But my true preference would be an interesting combination, like Elsweyr and Valenwood, with a clash of cultures and very contrasting landscapes.

Yeah, it would be a step up if they combined a few areas - and it would mean they could get through them all sooner.

The dream would be a game with the care and detail of Skyrim (or Morrowind, if you insist) but which includes all of Tamriel. Not sure how much work that would take - but they'd probably need to double the team and extend the development time significantly.

I tend to dismiss the MMO - because I think it will be a mostly separate entity. I don't expect anything even remotely close to singleplayer standards when it comes to exploration - which is my favorite part of TES.

What's so special about Valenwood in terms of lore? I'm not good with lore in general - and I know next to nothing about Tamriel - as I forget details just as soon as I stop playing a game.

Yeah, it would be a step up if they combined a few areas - and it would mean they could get through them all sooner.

The dream would be a game with the care and detail of Skyrim (or Morrowind, if you insist) but which includes all of Tamriel. Not sure how much work that would take - but they'd probably need to double the team and extend the development time significantly.

I tend to dismiss the MMO - because I think it will be a mostly separate entity. I don't expect anything even remotely close to singleplayer standards when it comes to exploration - which is my favorite part of TES.

What's so special about Valenwood in terms of lore? I'm not good with lore in general - and I know next to nothing about Tamriel - as I forget details just as soon as I stop playing a game.

Instead of an answer, may I just point you to one of the many excellent sources on TES lore and all things tamriel?
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Valenwood

It's a sub-tropical forest full of very big trees.

Bosmer (Wood Elves) have cannibalistic traditions (you're not going to see that in any game).
Falinesti, city of King, used to be a moving tree city (the used is because you are never going to see a moving city in a video game...).
The place have been invaded and taken over by Altmer (High Elves) and Khajiit many times. It is part of the Aldmeri Dominion in Skyrim time period too.

Valenwood have Imga as well.

As for your dream of all Tamriel, that was Arena and/or the MMO. Never going to happen in a SP game again, unless it is modded.

I am a Norse mythology and history buff as well as a major fan of landscapes you find in places like Norway so Skyrim is pretty much my ideal in all ways.

But for a secondary setting I would like to see Valenwood as I also love deep forests. Not as big a fan of tropical (and hate that tropical mod) but if it was mixed in with other settings I would be fine. I tend to like the deep forests in a more seasonal setting (all 4 weather systems). Ironically I do love vacations in the tropics :)

Elsewyr would also be very cool and would probably be one of my first choices, with Valendwood second.

As to the game - well I was just fine with Skyrim although I wish they would go back to more character depth like Morrowind but I don't see that ever happening. I would also like to see deeper characters (ala FNV).

Did anyone do a tropical mod for Oblivion (where it would make sense and be lore friendly)?

I'm hoping the next TES will take place in a more tropical setting since they havent gone their yet. I'm also hoping for more underwater exploring for the next game, it's a waste to have diving and swimming but no real use for it, must be really boring to be an argonian in Skyrim.. I really loved Morrowind for all the little islands and stuff, it was a lot of fun to explore imo.

Did anyone do a tropical mod for Oblivion (where it would make sense and be lore friendly)?

I don't think so, but Tropical Skyrim makes me want to have a tropical themed ES game next.

Black Marsh for me. From all the books I've read in the 3 TES games, it sounds very interesting. Swarms of flies that can eat you alive, giant underwater predatory creatures, marshlands everywhere, poisonous plants, etc etc.

You have to travel by boat there, so maybe they could implement manual boat travel, that lets you jump between locations but also explore the swamps manually. Not sure how they'd pull that off, really.

Also, the border of Black Marsh and Cyrodiil was some of the most beautiful area in Oblivion. Swamps and marshes and lakes, oh my. It was really nice there and I liked the landscape a lot.

Elsweyr would be my second choice. The way it's described in the lore sounds beautiful as well.

Honestly, I'll be happy wherever they take the series. I love TES games :)

I will say Valenwood or Summerset Isle. I want to see what happens in the next great war we all know is coming. Maybe play as the Thalmor this time. Skyrim showed that the peace won't last.

Besides my Dragonborn will be the next emperor. He has the blades and the voice to forge his destiny and restore the empire.

I will say Valenwood or Summerset Isle. I want to see what happens in the next great war we all know is coming. Maybe play as the Thalmor this time. Skyrim showed that the peace won't last.

Same here, I would also like for portion of game to be at some interesting oblivion realm(Shivering isle size at least) like Azura's Moonshadow.

I'll add my voice for valenwood. It's got some interesting lore to it (and I don't think cannibalistic elves would be off limits given there was a cannibal quest in Skyrim and you could play a cannibal in FO3). It's also probably easier to explain having anything besides an Altmer or Bosmer character there since it's not described as quite so firmly under the control of the Aldmeri Dominion as Summerset. At the same time it also seems like it would offer a good opportunity to play out the conflict between the dominion and the Empire.

Along the same lines, Hammerfell would be nice. Even better would be doing Hammerfell+Valenwood as I think that would offer a great degree of location diversity and allow the breadth of the Imperial vs Dominion conflict on the continent to be played out including regional factions aligned with one side or possibly more fluid in their allegiances. Would just have to figure out what to do with that nagging bit of cyrodil in the way.

Also, since Terry Pratchett is such a huge Elder Scrolls fan and has written bits of dialogue for user created mods, I think they might do well to hire him to write the Daedric quests and dialogue for Sheogorath and Clavicus Vile regardless of where they end up setting the game.

Last edited:
(the used is because you are never going to see a moving city in a video game…).
Borderlands 2? I got to fly an academy campus around in Final Fantasy 8, too.

Feel free to put the main game wherever you like. Just make sure I get to make a side quest to one of the moons so I can see the planet from on high.

Black Marsh or SPAAAAAACE are the only acceptable answers.

I'm ready to visit Atmora. Tamriel has been the setting for all the previous games and we have the MMO to cover the rest of that continent. It's time to see what is going on in the rest of the world.

Back
Top Bottom