Two Worlds II - Translated Review Q&A

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Two Worlds Vault let us know they have translated comments from Polish site GameCorner.pl, who have apparently played the release version of Two Worlds II. Here's a sample:
Character movements look smooth. It's not Assassin's Creed level of animation, but it's still head and shoulders above e.g. Alpha Protocol. Trot looks kinda odd but still natural. Sprint doesn't look artificial. Sneaking and walking without running have correct animations. The combat also looks nice: the swings have the "momentum" feel to them, it's definitely not just swinging any weapon as if it was light as a feather. Blows do have an impact on the enemies. The only odd part is jumping - it looks a bit stiff. In addition, regular movement is not very precise, and sometimes to get to the box or when moving in a cluttered interior, you need to slow down to a walk or sneak. Horses have the worst animation - the mounted movement looks quite stiff in trot and jumping. Slawek notes that he didn't get the chance to fight mounted and there might be no possibility to do that at all.
More information.

Sounds good. I like to read stuff like this:
The game is definitely VERY hard. Some fights had to be attempted only after gaining a few levels.
It sounds like the developer's are doing their own thing, making the game they want to make, rather than following some publisher's orders to appeal to "casual gamers".

I liked Two Worlds, and will probably buy this.

Kay

NPC/Quest Dialogues are more on the simple side. You don't get many choices and it's not Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate "multi-thread" decision chain. Think more elaborate Diablo - talk and decide if you want to do some quest, then get out.

This quote won't win any prizes here. It's sounding like an action game ala Titan Quest/Diablo.

NPC/Quest Dialogues are more on the simple side. You don't get many choices and it's not Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate "multi-thread" decision chain. Think more elaborate Diablo - talk and decide if you want to do some quest, then get out.

This quote won't win any prizes here. It's sounding like an action game ala Titan Quest/Diablo.

No, sounds more like Morrowind etc, Diablo or Titan Quest isnt about exploration..The focus hasnt been the dialogues, it should hardly be a surprise to anyone.

Sounds great, good that it's difficult :)

As the reviewer stated, the dialogues are a bit more extensive than in Diablo. It doesn't sadden me though.

What's the release date for this? I read it'll be next year for uk/america, but what about europe and will that version include any english translation?

The EU version does include English localization…at least according to the amazon.de page for it.

http://www.amazon.de/TopWare-Entert..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286753129&sr=1-1

Gogamer has an import version for sale that says release date Oct 22nd so I pre-ordered it from them while it was $40US on sale. But they emailed me back saying that their import versions are always UK/Aus. Since the UK/Aus versions are delayed the same as the US version that makes me think there is some miscommunication/misunderstanding going on there. If the 22nd comes around and they tell me it's been delayed I'll just cancel and order from amazon.de instead.

If anyone knows English language sites to order the EU version from (that can ship to the US) I'd like to know (just in case).

Well, if it has an interesting game world I can freely explore, it will still be pretty interesting. I also recall Two Worlds having a faction system, they might still have that too.

So, yes, as bemushroomed said, it sounds a bit like Morrowind, which in my opinion is not a bad thing. NPCs and NPC "dialogs" were incredibly weak in Morrowind, probably the worst I've seen in any RPG, and still the game was pretty interesting for me.

Kay

I'm on board with both of you, it's just we have a lot of people here who pine for "choices and consequence". Those folks aren't going to like the statment about lack of deep conversation options and a lack of choices. Two Worlds I wanted to be compared favorably to TES. They were constantly comparing themselves to Oblivion.

I'm very okay with games that emulate Bethesda games :D

Sounds horrible. I had hoped for something more in the line of Oblivion.

Oblivion had some of the worst dialogue I've ever experienced, with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood questline - which was a nice mixture of the absurd and the dark.

That said, Two Worlds had absolutely abysmal dialogue - and there's no way it can be worse.

As for how extensive it is, anyone who's played TW should have realised that it's not going to be something completely different.

It's basically a free-roaming powertrip - with a very free character development system. It's not going to compete directly with Gothic or games with a more serious tone.

Just like the first one, it's going to be action heavy - with the RPG mechanics themselves as the center of the entertainment experience.

I, for one, am greatly looking forward to it. I couldn't care less about "deep/pretentious" dialogue in what's essentially a free-roaming 3D Diablo. It would only slow the game down, and interfere with the flow of the gameplay.

wait, diablo had dialogues?

Thinking of OB and TW1 and Assassin's i find it very surprising that only 1 game got horses right .

Horses are extremely hard to get right.

That said, Red Dead Redemption completely annihilates all of the above :)

Horses are extremely hard to get right.

Unless you are a couple of amateur programmers from Turkey .

I think they are making horses bad on purpose , maybe it is that areas are so packed with content that there is not enough space to run or running will make you miss so many stuff.
With all the islands around i think that TW can get sailing right, sailing up rivers or circling coast line can be very fun if wind and currents are added .

I think they are making horses bad on purpose , maybe it is that areas are so packed with content that there is not enough space to run or running will make you miss so many stuff.
With all the islands around i think that TW can get sailing right, sailing up rivers or circling coast line can be very fun if wind and currents are added .

What?

It doesn't matter where you come from or how big your paycheck is. It matters how talented, experienced, and dedicated you are.

Your theory about making horses bad on purpose strikes me as profoundly weak.

I'm not getting my hopes up about the sailing, i bet it'll be as dull as horse riding.. Red Dead Redemption is the only game i've played where they've gotten the horse riding right btw.

What?

It doesn't matter where you come from or how big your paycheck is. It matters how talented, experienced, and dedicated you are.

so it seems

Your theory about making horses bad on purpose strikes me as profoundly weak.

Well it is just a theory , iirc in TW1 horses got stuck on things, in OB horses were like trucks , i don't think that it was that tough to make it right .
I remember a mod in Morrowind that got horses right , if the average moder can make it everyone does (ok in the first version rider started to sink in horse's back but this was corrected). Some moders made dragon riding right.

bemushroomed i have not played that game unfortunately .

Oblivion had some of the worst dialogue I've ever experienced, with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood questline - which was a nice mixture of the absurd and the dark.

Do you mean the Sonic RPG ?

I think they are making horses bad on purpose ,

I disagree. There are very few developers right now who actually do and did 3D horses.

Character models for humans and critters are very well developed these days, but horses … ?

I rather believe we are seeing just the BEGINNING of implementations of horses.
And - as you might know - EVERY beginning is HARD.

What exactly are you arguing?

That because some people, who dedicate themselves completely to making horses work to your satisfaction succeed - making horses right is easy?

Are you saying that all those other attempts at getting horses right were deliberately made poor?

Don't you see how that makes no sense whatsoever?

Back
Top Bottom