Fallout 3 - Boston doesn't belong in Fallout 4 @ California Literary Review

aries100

SasqWatch
The California Literary Review has an editorial about how Boston doesn't belong in Fallout 4. This is the first part of the post on the video game blog, the second part will deal with five places better than Boston for Fallout 4. They see Fallout as a frontier tale set in the western states of the USA. An excerpt about this:
The two genres most dominant in Fallout – Post-Apocalypse and Western – are rather the same thing in a lot of ways. The frontier life is almost indistinguishable from living in a shattered civilization, apart from the technology available. Fallout is simply a Western epic but with lasers, and a well made one at that (unlike certain Favreau helmed projects). But while the Frontier Westerns are about the freedom of new lands and the promise of a new life found within wild borders, post-apocalyptic tales most often dwell in the anarchy of old lands and the slow death of the last among them. Fallout, in attempting to be the post-apocalypse with a sense of humor, had to find a way to coexist between these two extremes. It’s through the Southwestern setting, and all that came with it, that I feel Fallout found its true identity, it’s true balance. The heart of the desert, a place centered on the nothingness of empty space and the total freedom the player has to choose in this void. There is no major history to decay, for the place is timeless; there is no culture to lose, for the people are ongoing.
More information.

Fallout 4 will probably take place in Alaska. What's the point of an article about Boston then? :)

It will probably take place in some US city with iconic landmarks that fits the 1950s Americana vibe and has a few different kinds of districts or suburb areas.

My guess is New York

Don't really mind the setting so much as the timeline. I wish they'd get back to making the game take place ~50 years after the bombs. 200 year old food and newspaper clippings really annoy me.

(not to mention the fact that humanity has been written as being at a technological standstill for over 100 years)

I'd like to see how other players in that apocalyptic war have come out of it, but I guess this western will never become an eastern. ;)

Goofy article. The Commonwealth is a logical setting for a future installment.

Back
Top Bottom