Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Interview @ CVG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CVG has another Deus Ex: HR interview with David Anfossi (producer), Jonathan Jacques-Belletete (art director) and Andre Vu (marketing game manager). The black-and-gold thing gets more tiresome focus but here's a snip on being faithful:
We can't quite believe how evocative Human Revolution is of Deus Ex 1. Why did you feel like you had such a duty to do the original game justice?

AV: We had a mandate from Eidos back then - it was very important for the portfolio that we had this major title. One of the core points was that, if you're using a name like Deus Ex, then the original was such a great experience we wanted to recreate something that's still kind of unique. We didn't want to create just a shooter, just a stealth game... You take the name, you have to respect the core values. And if you look at the state of the market right now, with games like Bioshock, Fallout 3 etc. people - hardcore gamers - will say they're kind of niche, but they sell millions. That kind of audience wants more depth, the universe, some kind of customisation... instead of a regular shooter. There is a real audience for that kind of game.
More information.

I cant wait to play this one as it stays true to the first Deus Ex.I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Deus Ex Invisible War.I should give the original a run again its been years since I played it.

We can't quite believe how evocative Human Revolution is of Deus Ex 1. Why did you feel like you had such a duty to do the original game justice?

I really, really, really hate that kind of fawning statement in interviews.

At least it didn't include the word: AWESOME in each sentence ;)

Awesome is so yesterday, now it's EPIC in every sentence.

I'm still waiting for a game entirely in hexameter, though.

Wrong. It would be AMAZING. 'Amazing' is the most over-worked, over-used word since 'like' and 'great'.

Yes, especially since a big, huge company is named after that word.

;)

And if you look at the state of the market right now, with games like Bioshock, Fallout 3 etc. people - hardcore gamers - will say they're kind of niche, but they sell millions. That kind of audience wants more depth, the universe, some kind of customisation

Just tell me why Jowood didn't get this message????????

You take the name, you have to respect the core values. And if you look at the state of the market right now, with games like Bioshock, Fallout 3 etc. people - hardcore gamers - will say they're kind of niche, but they sell millions. That kind of audience wants more depth, the universe, some kind of customisation… instead of a regular shooter. There is a real audience for that kind of game.

Now if only Jowood would have grasped that and made a real gothic game instead of dumbing it down...

I fear that the Arcania sales might prove them [their approach] even right ... "Go away with these hardcore games !" the industry might believe in the future ...

Which leaves us to the Independent Market ...

Now if only Jowood would have grasped that and made a real gothic game instead of dumbing it down…

Why should they? If the reports 3 years ago where right, JoWooD's Gothic rights are about to expire. (Whatever rights they have. The brand belongs to PB.) Why should they care about a brand if they can't use it any longer? Their own brand is "Arcania". The Gothic name was only attached for brand recognition.

Kind of "Final Fantasy" phenomenon ? ;)

Back
Top Bottom