Chaos Chronicles - bitComposer Issues Statement

Now that's what Kickstarter is for. In order to prevent situations like this and not to leave a promising game into the greedy publisher's hands. They made the right choice for abandoning the project rather than release it in a pre alpha state. A couple of days ago we saw how a rushed release hurt a game's reputation in RoA Remake quite clearly.

Having recently attended a mediation that ran long with no result, I can attest that if the other side had announced they had no intention of signing I wouldn't have bothered either. Lawyers aren't cheap.

I hope it works out, the game looked good.

Oh shit! I was so looking forward to Chaos Chronicles. Damn!

3326vxh.jpg

I can only imagine that this means that the game still isn't ready. If it was just about how to divide royalties for a game ready to be published, they would eventually find a compromise. Some money is better then no money. But throwing more money in? Maybe not.

Well damn. Hopefully Wasteland 2 & Project Eternity won't meet the same fate somehow-- which they shouldn't given they are Kickstarters. I was actually looking more forward to CC than those but it is not to be. I was also excited about the updated RoA games, but apparently that is not going as well as everyone hoped.

Coreplay gets to keep their artistic integrity by not releasing an unfinished game and Bitcomposer gets to maintain their status as an evil overlord aka publisher. See? Everybody wins!
Actually, even in a sarcastic sense, bitComposer won nothing. Their only purpose is to make money. Even if all they do is recoup costs, or recoup a fraction of their costs, that's better for them than just not releasing the game.

You see? This is what I was explaining in the comment section of another game:
And for the records: the main reason for this dispute was the controversy about an early release of Chaos Chronicles in March 2013. A release at this time would have led to horrible consequences for the game regarding its quality, content and stability.
Since bitComposer rejected to invest more money into our game, we had to get the money elsewhere. Throwing an unfinished and crappy game on the market was no option for us and that's why we had no other choice than borrowing money from third parties to continue the development and completion of our game. We wanted to release this particular game as it was intended, because otherwise we wouldn't get a second chance to create such a game again.

The financial experts of the publisher simply calculate an investment ?months till developer can make game and ? much money does it cost, but more importantly how much the publisher profits and how much BONUS the various managers get. No one at the publishers is really interested in a good game they don't understand = developer satisfaction, publisher wants massive income to do more businesses that lead to even more massive income in a timeframe set into concrete.

They saw the idiot developer getting hysterical about wanting to polish the game, which the publisher didn't understand why the hell a game must be polished, that's why there are patches, right? The publisher want's to make a lot of money quick and not at all interested in the gamers feedback: "Ooohh, another buggy game!!"

We can only speculate here, noone has yet given a convincing reason as to why the game needed to be cancelled and with current information it's impossible to judge who the guilty party/s are. Sounds like a complete break down of negotiations, with neither party prepared to move on their entrenched position. What's needed is some kind of arbitration process. How can either Coreplay or Bitcomposer benefit from cancellation of the game?

Can someone just sum up everything for me now ?

What's this "not going to a meeting" stuff ?

The last sentence of that statement sounds pretty damn final. Ack.

I had a similar feeling. Everywhere where a Lawyer comes in, things go uargh.

bitComposer wanted a meeting. Coreplay claims bitComposer had already indicated they wouldn't sign anything at the meeting so they didn't go. Until they can discuss whatever the issue is, the game is dead in the water.

bitComposer wanted a meeting. Coreplay claims bitComposer had already indicated they wouldn't sign anything at the meeting so they didn't go. Until they can discuss whatever the issue is, the game is dead in the water.

Why should Bitcomposer commit to sign anything at the meeting? Presumably the idea would have been to thrash out some compromise and then get the lawyers to look it over, before signing. I don't see why Coreplay should be hung up on getting this signature instantly. So far we have no basis to judge between the two stories and work out who is being pigheaded.

Of course it seems clear to everyone doesn't it: It's a "Girl screams, it must be the nasty hunchback's fault" scenario. Devs are good, publishers are evil, ergo it's their fault. Perhaps, but lets see the proof.

Why should Bitcomposer commit to sign anything at the meeting? Presumably the idea would have been to thrash out some compromise and then get the lawyers to look it over, before signing. I don't see why Coreplay should be hung up on getting this signature instantly. So far we have no basis to judge between the two stories and work out who is being pigheaded.

Because there was already a meeting some time ago, where everything was discussed and supposedly all but agreed upon, but the publisher didn't sign just so they could make sure everything was ok, and nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom