DOSBox - Interviews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameBanshee dug up some interviews with the folks behind DOSBox, which is an excellent idea because they deserve some recognition for their work. Head over to Sourceforge or Sir Arthur's Den and here's a snip from the latter:
<strong style="color: #000080;">DOSBox compatibility is pretty remarkable, in almost any case I’ve tried to run a game I have never had to touch the configuration file! Are you pleased with the current compatibility level or you think there is still a long way to walk to reach a “critical” compatibility point?[/b]
We put a lot of thought and work in the default configuration. As of such we can sometimes become a bit annoyed if people advice newbies to change certain settings from the default values, while the game they run doesn’t need it. Those changed settings might actually reduce compatibility for other games. We are quite pleased with the current compatibility level of the default configuration. It also helps that for alot of options you can just runtime change them from the command line quite easily, so if a game doesn’t want EMS or XMS loaded then you can just disable those.
More information.

I don't know value changing or not I can't stand the way it works sometimes and thus feel compelled to change something.

Generally, its just too aggravating to get the to work like they used to. So fortunately, there's not many games I want to replay from back then or skipped and want to play now.

As for "Those changed settings might actually reduce compatibility for other games"... all you need is a config file for each game and tailor each to its own settings.

There are loading programmes for that.

I personally don't think a point & click menu would be something desirable ... It would also drastically reduce the "geekness factor" of DOSBOX. ;)

Back
Top Bottom