RPGWatch Feature: Confrontation - Hands-On Preview

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
We had the opportunity to play Confrontation, the new tactical RPG by Cyanide, dtp and Focus Home, for a couple of hours.
Confrontation concentrates on pausable tactical RT combat and moves everything distracting out of the combat flow's way. As the descriptions above show, the game offers quite a solid amount of control to the player – if he wants it. If he doesn't, the fight automatic kicks in. It does a pretty good job, so it is an option to do the hard work manually and leave the mop up to the PC.
Link to article
More information.

Hmm, I don't know. The combat would have to be REALLY good to get me interested in this. But if it is, I would consider it. It's sometimes nice to play a game with a narrow focus.

Btw, you seem to have some copy paste leftovers in the article. Look for "as is the number of useless spells", e.g.

nice preview Gorath. any idea whether or not there will be a demo? as it is, your preview paints it as a game that can wait for a sale at this point for me.

Hmm, I don't know. The combat would have to be REALLY good to get me interested in this. But if it is, I would consider it. It's sometimes nice to play a game with a narrow focus.

Btw, you seem to have some copy paste leftovers in the article. Look for "as is the number of useless spells", e.g.
I don't know too. ;)

Thanks, I cleaned that up. Don't remember having copied that ?! Let me know if you find other errors.

nice preview Gorath. any idea whether or not there will be a demo? as it is, your preview paints it as a game that can wait for a sale at this point for me.
No demo.

A tutorial and two levels with an unfinished version isn't enough to give a clear recommendation. Technically it was okay. Stable, decent and consistent look (although not high end), not many noticable bugs.
After the preview I would expect reviews at 75% level, unless they ruined something important which wasn't shown.
Of course I'm ignoring issues which are normal in beta builds.

Thanks Gorath for the preview.

How would you say the combat compares to BG or IWD? Is there a good variety of units to choose from?

I'm leaning towards picking it up as party based RTWP is my favorite kind of combat. I'm willing to sacrifice some rpg goodness if the combat is there. Anything specific about the combat that you could add would be appreciated.

Also 40 clams for this game seems like alot. Do you think the production value is there to warrant the price tag?

Thanks in advance for any info.

There isn't much I can add. BG and ID had bigger parties, AFAIR.

So far I couldn't really choose my party members. There was an opportunity to select who should accompany the main character, but of course I decided to fill up all four slots.
There's also no char generation.

The production values are pragmatic. Leaving out the loot saved them probably 70% of the graphics they would have needed. The world graphics are dark and gritty. Everything looked consistent, but not high end. Typical A production niveau, like most Euro RPGs.

Strange how things change names by changing medium.

As a tabletop wargame miniature games, it is called a skirmish game. Noone would call it a RPG.

Video gaming: tactical RPG.

Yet not much has changed from the tabletop version. Basically, it remains a game aiming at simulating skirmishes in a fantasy world.

Back
Top Bottom