What games are you playing now?

I'm going to have no home internet for a month after moving (seriously, how can the British phone system be so awful?), so I've been setting myself up with a few no-internet games. Looks like Might and Magic 7 and Morrowind will be my main source of gaming entertainment for a while. I might dip into Ultima Underworld or Doom if I need some variety.

Started a run for NWN2 OC + MotB with my hubby via multiplayer. Should be interesting :) Still playing IWD2, KotOR and BG:EE as well.

I loved the first one, so before I forget the TDE ruleset (again) from Blackguards, I figure I should play it. Now, I have to decide on a character class. What's lacking in available companions?

A tricky answer.

You start alone. Then you get temporarily 2 members from which only one will remain on your side till the end of a game - you choose which one.
One is male human mage, another female halfelven ranger - both are capable of casting spells and on both you can improve bows and/or staves. However, humans and elves have some different spells, for example humans can summon fire elemental but not animals, elves summon animals but not elementals.
In any case, you get a spellcasting sidekick.

The whole first part of the game is easy that's why you'll get two more NPCs only in the next town. A fighter proficient in axes and a thief with some social skills.

The final partymember NPC is again a fighter and you'll play for hours till you get him. He comes with some social skills which means, don't push those too much on other members.

I took elven spellweaver and this time I ditched staves and swords but upped fencing weapons on him. Why did I do that? The character creation allows you to make some travestic combinations, I'll write it in the TRoT subforum later what I did with my poor character. Oh and you get early an OP fencing weapons recipe plus you can make the woundinflicting hit with that weapon type and there is no decent staff in the game to buy/loot anywhere.

Yes I had two mages early, had no problems anywhere with that party setup, the second mage got kicked out later and is now just making me pots with maxed alchemy. ;)

What do you need nonprinted manual for? Everything is explained in the game - tooltips and rightclick info are very rich with explanation on everything. Totally spoiling!

But there are two important things that are not on DVD!

1. Write this down (it's not written on DVD for whatever reason): PY66M4
What is it? You'll find out, just play the first game, and you'll see.

2. Check the link in my thread on TRoT: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=23475

If he played Blackguards I can understand where it's coming from.
Don't worry, rudimentary explanation of rules is not in Drakensang, you will see everything written without missing a detail, even stuff you don't (need to) care for are there like dicerolls.

Still bouncing off of random stuff.

Messed around with Majesty 2 for awhile. Fairly interesting and I like the mechanic of using incentives to get heroes to do stuff rather than straight ordering them around.

Tried some Farcry 3 yesterday. Some of the character writing is really good imo. I'm used to shooters where you're more of a bullet sponge though which doesn't work well in this game. Not a fan of stealth type gameplay but otherwise, I've enjoyed it so far.

Hero Siege has really surprised me. Rougelike/lite (depending if you play Hardcore or not) in a smallish map with waves of enemies to kill. Fairly basic but a nice little game for short burst gaming.

Nothing has really grabbed me start to finish for awhile. After joxer's glowing review of Drakensang I've been debating about pulling it out of my backlog finally. Debating about doing the same with Gothic 3 and the Risen series. Also, the Codex's top 50 games made me feel like I missed out on VtMB and Arcanum so grabbed them recently too.

I need more free time!!!

Actually the tooltips are pretty good (although they refer to acronyms in formulas and have some notation that is a still a mystery to me). But, there are no tooltips for the controls. ReplacementDocs solved that problem though.

I drove an hour and a half to the only gamestop in MN that had a copy of drakensang when it was released so I was bummed when it didn't have a printed manual.

If you go to steam the have the complete manual in PDF for drakensang and every game they sell AFAIK. You don't have to have the game or an account to view them either.

Anyway it's a good game, not the end all be all that Joxer seems to think it is IMO, but that's all personal preference and what not.

Farcry 3… Some of the character writing is really good imo.
Now you don't need to guess why am I buying FC4 instantly (the announcement is expected this april).

btw, finished community dungeon in MM10. It's awsome! No wonder they've put it as an official part of the game.
The dream shard dungeon, I've already said, nicely done, but too short.

I have only Limbo dungeon left to solve and that'll be the end. Unless that dungeon has 10 levels dunno how am I supposed to get level 40 achievement. Not that I care, but still.

Last edited:
Finished Limbo dungeon.
All I can say now is that I adore Limbic! The third dungeon is perfect! I can't believe they actually did what they did in it.

It's still not enough to put 9 on the whole game, but if this was inside from the start I'd give 8.5/10.

Didn't make all achievements, for some I'd have to replay the game with different party setups, and to get all chars to level 40, this game needs at least 3 more big dungeons. Since I don't care for achievements really, I'll pass on possible future DLC.

MM10 was an extremely fun ride where I got more than I've expected. It is now going on the shelf (read: steam backup on external cheap harddrive;)). And I'm definetly buying MM11.

Because Divinity: Original Sin isn't out yet, I decide to "replay" Drakensang The Dark Eye (never finished it) . I think I made it to chapter 3 the last time.

It's not going well so far. I restarted 5 times last night. I can't make my mind on what to play (my biggest problem in RPGs)...

What do you mean you can't choose?
Too many classes/races to choose?

Maybe this helps with your choice.

In the first village you get two sidekicks. If you did play it a bit, you already know that, but I'll put it as a spoiler nevertheless:
An amazon and a thief that you should recruit both as soon as possible so they get more XP on other sidequests before you exit the area. More XP means higher skills for example on the NPC thief, means better lockpick and pickpockets. ;)
Amazon is basically a female fighter with initial focus on sabres (can't remember now if she "likes" shields or I trained her to use them better).

In the next area (the big town) you temporarily lose the thief from the first area, but soon you'll find another to add to your party which is a combination of spellcaster/thief (IIRC she's charlatan, not that it matters much). Also you'll get a dwarven fighter.

Later you'll find more different NPCs/classes to combine in your party and if you dislike one, you'll be able to use another of the same or similar class.
A race doesn't matter really, there is a certain elves only quest in the game, but you don't have to be an elf to receive it, you just need to have one in your party while talking to the questgiver. ;)

This means whatever race/class your choice is, you simply can't fail. Oh and a huge spoiler - read only when you get past the first area and only if you really want to get spoiled maybe too much:
Because you will use the amazon in your party for a while - the first item you should buy is the sabre with a chance to knockout enemies at one of the merchants in front of Praios temple!
It is somewhat expensive, but since you, hopefully, invested into pickpocket skill, you'll be able to afford it very early.

Also don't forget:
1. Write this down (it's not written on DVD for whatever reason): PY66M4
What is it? You'll find out, just play the first game, and you'll see.

But on the other hand, if you did choose a race/class, but are unsure about attributes/stats and skills, do say what exactly "feels" wrong as starting numbers for the role you want to play.

Last edited:
What do you mean you can't choose?
Too many classes/races to choose?

I just don't know what kind of playstyle I want to play with. I tried a bulgar (made 7 ducats in a few minutes with pick-pocket lol), an elementalist, an healer mage and a soldier. Might try out one of the "ranger" (the elf or the human) tonight just to complete the whole "trial thing".

I'm starting to think that I should just put the class names in a pot and pick one randomly.

Holy pickpocket - it's one of the most important skills in the whole game. Which reminds me to retry RoA remake again to make a decent "robber" - I can't understand why did they make it so hard to create one in RoA.
I wish someone created a decent party and uploaded such savegame.

As for ranger, it'll probably use bows heavily which is not a bad choice as there is a certain boss I dunno how to kill without a bow user(s) in the party. But one of initial NPCs to recruit already has a bit proficiency in bows... So again you don't need to be a ranged based class yourself. :D

He's right. Pot, pick from a pot - go!

Back
Top Bottom