RPGWatch Feature: Dragon Age - Witch Hunt Impressions

Like the person said above me, Flemeth was defeated but never killed. The sequel isn't breaking canon as the codex made it clear Flemeth wasn't dead (by hinting the possibility that she might not be).
Morrigan even down right says it too, several times in fact.

she was …er…just resting. Reminds me of Dallas (yeah it was shown here :-/ ) …remember when Bobby Ewing wasn;t *actually* dead?…it was all a dream !

Maybe you dreamed you killed Flemeth ;-)

Haha, yeah, the good old Bobby Ewig alive thing.

I didn't kill her. Why should I? It's only Morrigans dubious word against her, and so far I had no proof what Flemeth did was evil. I don't kill people just on hearsay!

Heck I don't know WHO really IS evil in the entire setting. Maybe in the end those Maker believers are the culprits and the Dragons are the good guys being wronged. I don't belive anything given in that game, so I avoided killing just because someone tells me so.

I always trust the reviews here most of all so I will pass on this. I was hoping for a lot more story, which had that been the case I would have accepted the shortness of the campaign and bought it. So much potential here and they blow it with fast and easy…..

I didn't read this thread in fear of spoilers, and yes you did spoil the entire DLC in the article.

That said, the Dwarven Thaig is from Stone Prisoner and the last two areas are from Awakening, so those aren't new either. I do not know whether the Elven Ruins is a copy of something or not.

The best DLC for awakenings, in hintersight, is probably Golems of Amgarrak, as far as new content goes. It's not that great, it's just the best one, with Leiliana's Song as the second.

That said, Awakenings was nice. I say it's worth it.

Dalish Elf starting area.

Ah.

I guess I could add then, that if someone thought the cellar in the Circle Tower was new, it was part of the Mage origin story.

I thought I'd played all the Origins but I either missed the Dalish one or forgot. I had a limited window of time to get this out, which is why I said it isn't a traditional review; I'd normally take my time and double-check my facts.

Spoiled the entire DLC? Only in that there's nothing in it in the first place.

Spoiled the entire DLC? Only in that there's nothing in it in the first place.

You present a step by step outline on the events and areas passed as well as some lines on the new boss monster. I say thats more of a spoiler than stating simple "there's very little new content in this DLC".

I'm not going to argue with you - but, no, I don't. I don't describe any of the dialogues, who you meet or talk to, or any of the actions you actually take - other than to generalise about combat with some common monsters. If you actually play it, which you clearly haven't, you'll realise how little detail I've provided.

I don't actually describe where you meet the vartarral, the circumstances or how the battle proceeds - only that I didn't find it challenging.

I'm not going to argue with you - but, no, I don't. I don't describe any of the dialogues, who you meet or talk to, or any of the actions you actually take - other than to generalise about combat with some common monsters.

I am referring to the following section.

The mage Finn soon joins the party, alongside some careless dialogue (Finn remarks on the search for Morrigan, something no one has actually revealed at that point). Two new locations follow - a new Dwarven Thaig and some Elven ruins - with a linear path through both and a series of throwaway encounters with shrieks, standard darkspawn and the like. Having imported my Awakening character (it didn't seem to make sense to "go back in time" and choose an older character), the combat is hack'n'slash -like. At no point did I really have to think beyond clicking on an enemy…and then the next. Even the big, new monster - the impressive looking varterral - required no more than randomly clicking some of my rogue's special abilities without any real tactics.

On to the next location - another familiar one - and this time it's shockingly short. I've barely entered the building and we're at the climax. The dialogue does have a couple of different outcomes but there's no real resolution. More mystery is dangled in front of me and the credits roll.

If you actually play it, which you clearly haven't, you'll realise how little detail I've provided.

Uhm…

I am actually not arguing with you and you do seem to be a bit more defensive than what you need to be. I pointed out that I would consider the above to be a "complete spoiler", which might sound a bit harsh in a gaming community, but it was actually meant to be a friendly reminder for future articles that there are those of us who are sensitive about that sort of thing. My comment was not meant to be interpreted as "I hate your guts and I would drive over your pet if I had the chance". Since I didn't read it before playing Witch Hunt I wasn't harmed by it. Like you, I would probably warn who ever plans to pay for the DLC that they are paying for very little.

Last edited:
Warning the following is a spoiler for Dragon Age - Witch Hunt:

* Some of the environments look lovely
* A cool boss fight.

* Morrigan's role is so tiny that it's practically unnecessary
* Throwaway party members
* Way too easy
* Story lumbers toward an ending that illuminates nothing.

That is all taken from the highlights over at gamespot's review of it. Tons of spoilers in that as well like "way too easy":lol:

In the text they go into greater detail than Dhruin even hinted at and I still didn't feel like it spoiled the game for me if I was actually thinking about buying it.

Dhruin's impression reads like a normal review to me. I still don't have a clue as to WHAT the story is about other than what is already hinted at in the title and now I know there is barely anything new and the combat is easy.

The environment looks good, but that's not thanks to Witch Hunt, because it's all "stolen" or reused from earlier campaigns. The environments in Awakening looks a lot better than the ones in Origins, and Witch Hunt uses several areas from there.

The boss fight is ok even though it's very easy, it was when I received an achievement for beating it I realized I had been playing the game on hard all the way through… It looks good. Problem is, such content is what I expect in a DLC all the way through. In Witch Hunt it's pretty much the only new content in the game.

I was awestruck when the credits suddenly popped up like "what the he—, did I do something wrong?". I had assumed I was 1/3 through the module at the point the ending credits begin to roll, and that I was just about to see the new stuff after some stretch-out sidemissions.

I kinda like Finn. It was too bad he got so little spotlight.

Just played it through, and I agree whit most in here. Come to think of it, non of the DLC’s that came after lunch, have any new locations, all are reused from Origins or Awakening, whit exception of Golem’s of Amgarrak. I think this DLC is more a Teaser of what to come, that a serious add on, I actual like it (not love it), but I understand why some feel that they have been tricked in to pay fore a 90 min long Teaser for DA2.

Bad Things:

- Way to short.
- Way to Easy.
- An end that don’t give any closure.
- To much reuse of old locations.

Good Things.

- Good voice acting and dialogues.
- An end that keep the mystery alive (loved by me).
- A chance to play whit your epic hero.
- Some new equipment to Origins/Awakening.

The part with the Dalish place was the cool one for me, since my hero was Dalish. So in a way my story ended where it ALL began long ago. That was sort of nice. It is just one more reason for me to say, I think the cutting of origin stories from DA2 is a BAD mistake.

I thought Leilanas Song was a good DLC. It gave Leilana a very interesting past, even tho I found her a bit pale and boring in Origins, the DLC was good.

I always read : "Danish place" …

Well, that was horribly disappointing. I got really no answer from her since I played female warden (friendly with her). At least I know male wardens who romanced her gets better ending. Anyone played dalish elf origin? Does she reveal something more if you play dalish elf? Does the game recognise that you are the one who touched mirror and almost died from it? Since I played human, Ariane mentioned that one of them is dead and one is missing.

To me, DA: Origins wasn't that superb a game. It was just so hackneyed in its storytelling and so vague when it came to combat mechanics. I really missed the D20 system as well as simply knowing how spells worked (or didn't) via the interface. Don't get me wrong, I got over these things for the first playthrough but I became incredibly bored trying to play it again some months down the line.

To compound it, all these DLC's of questionable value get released. It really makes you mourn the Bioware of yesteryear (or, in this case, yesterdecade).

To me, DA: Origins wasn't that superb a game. It was just so hackneyed in its storytelling and so vague when it came to combat mechanics. I really missed the D20 system as well as simply knowing how spells worked (or didn't) via the interface. Don't get me wrong, I got over these things for the first playthrough but I became incredibly bored trying to play it again some months down the line.

To compound it, all these DLC's of questionable value get released. It really makes you mourn the Bioware of yesteryear (or, in this case, yesterdecade).

I find myself in complete agreement :)

When you move away from a proven and entertaining system like D20 - the last thing you want to replace it with, is a boring, restricted, and streamlined system like in Dragon Age. I never had much trouble figuring things out in it, though, but I was appalled at the limitations of the class system, and I couldn't even come up with more than a single character I'd play it with. So, a replay was no-go - as I never replay CRPGs with exactly the same character, and there was zero build variety in the game. It was like Dual Wielder, Archer, Tank, or Two Handed guy - and absolutely no reason to think about how to actually place your points during level up. It was simply a matter of when you got stuff, not about what you wanted or tough choices. One of the most basic things you MUST have in your character system, is a series of difficult choices. You WANT the player to think about his build, and you WANT him to miss out, so he'll experiment with the game - and play it again to see all those powers he didn't see the first time.

That's it for non-mage characters. Contrasted with D&D 3.5 - where I've created, literally, dozens of completely unique and EFFECTIVE melee characters. Then we have archery and stealth, which is a complete bore in DA as well. It's as if they went "Brad Wardell" in their design department.

What they did is like taking the meat out of the burger, and replacing it with more salad.

With all that bitching, though, it's still a fine game with a great story and presentation. It's just sad that it's not something I'll replay and contemplate - like the old Bioware games used to be.

Back
Top Bottom