Dead Island - Community Mods and Fixes

Hooray I was hoping there was a way to increase the FOV, it's way too cramped up by default.

I gave this another go last night after initially finding it a bit lame, and I quite enjoyed myself. It's simplistic and repetitive but the setting's good and the zombie whacking mechanic is satisfyingly gruesome. It reminds me of FarCry2, which I dip into for an hour at a time whenever I need a bit of mindless action.

Good to know Dead Island already has a modding community. I really want to like this game, but I just can't enjoy it in its present state.

It looks like Dead Island Plus might be the mod I'm waiting for. It's currently in Beta, but it already looks very promising.

Thank you JDR for pointing that one out in that list. It sounds exactly like what this game needs.

One mod they need is some kind of bigger penalty when you die. Losing a bit of cash is no big deal when everything respawns in a matter of moments. The very least they could do would be to give a hit to your experience points. That would seem like a no brainer to me. What made them think that a hit to your cash reserve would be an ok penalty is beyond me.

I love the combat in this game though. Only thing now is that I could use a few more opponents. Even in the jungle I'm not getting as swamped with zombies as I thought I would. The middle of town was far more dangerous and a hell of a lot of more fun (so far). But I did find an easter egg in the jungle that was pretty funny :)

Oh well, still enjoying the game even though it comes with a few things that I hate like everyone levels up with you and the plot is confusing as hell. There are times they leave out whole chunks of information and just assume we know what the heck they are talking about.

Last edited:
skaven you better be backing up your saves. i experienced a horrid bug at level 35 and not to long in the jungle. save games seem to be getting broken around act 3 for some reason. after over 30 hours that was a hit, but i started a new game with the same character that lets you start the main quest but with no item, mods, money or side quests complete. i redid all of the side quests in act 1 to try and get some helpful mods of which i got few. after doing that all yesterday when i went to play this evening it happened again after working my way up from level 24 to 31 again. could have gone back to a back up save but it was 4 hours prior. decided to start a new character and have made it quite far through act one tonight as the badass ex cop. too bad alot of her skills seem to be good for multiplayer (none were for the assassin) which i don't plan on doing. the main plot is fairly short and much less fun so far, despite some great quest than the exploration and massive side quests in all locations, i mean the lighthouse in act 1 and 2 other survivor strongholds in the city in act 2 are all comprised of sidequests. are there more enemies in co-op anyone know as it would seem like the game would be far to easy if that were the case.

also i'm not sure if its since i started playing the character who states in the intro that she hates "rich white a-holes" but bring the hammer and sickles down on 100's or thousands of "walkers" sure is more gratifying knowing that the wisconson Walker is a true a-hole who has caused much harm and infection and should be taken down by tools of labor.

skavenhorde: Since this is a zombie apocalypse game it is more likely to run into zombies in cities then a swamp. There are far more humans in cities then in swamps and since most zombies are slow and mindless it is likely most will be in cities for a long time after the zombie apocalypse starts.

PS. It is also easy for a zombie to fall into a swamp and never get out.

@Curious Thanks for the heads up on the saves. Backing them up now.

@guenthar Yea, I know it makes more sense, but you have to realize that this "sandbox" game is divided into areas. The game has been hinting the whole time I was in act I and II that many more people live in the jungle than in the city and that a lot of people headed inland when the infection hit. Plus, each new area I encountered had more/harder type of zombies in it. The latest zombie type in the jungle is sorta a pushover. He looks awesome, but haven't been killed by him yet, unlike those freaking thugs from act I or "the infected". I was always against "runner" zombies, but throwing walkers and runners in together makes for a more interesting game. Kicking them to the ground and then squashing their heads isn't feasible. You gotta take them out quick before they start wailing on you.

Don't want to spoil it for anyone (although the main plot sucks),
but the jungle is similar to the Chernobyl area from Stalker in that this is where all the nasties started appearing or at least that is what I'm lead to believe so far. There may be a twist later on since I haven't finished the game yet, but I doubt it.

Because of this I thought that there would be tons of those suckers in the jungle. Something like Dead Rising 2's horde of zombies, but so far that isn't the case.

I'm curious if anyone thought this was a cop out as well. If you've passed Act II then you've come across this in Act II:

You are told to go to the "upper class" area of the game to find supplies, but can't get there because the bridges are taken out. You take the sewers to get there and then once you are there you can only go to the city hall and a supermarket. There is no new area to explore.

I was a bit peeved about that. One of the things I really wanted to do was explore this whole island, but you can't really. You can explore a lot, but nothing like what I imagined.

I really wish they focused more on a Fallout/Morrowind style of game than the co-op sandbox version of Left4Dead or Dead Rising. This island is just begging to be explored. Imo, the game is quite beautiful and found myself just exploring to enjoy some of the scenery. Oh well, still a good game, but not "great".

Last edited:
@skaven - jump kicking works great on the "infected" though 2 back to back jump kicks against will usually drain most of your stamina. up until recently i never really used the regular kick which is handy as it doesn't seem to drain stamina at all.

it would be nice if the game were true sandbox style but the levels and regions are still vast and beautiful. despite what some say i think the graphics are awesome especially all the detail, physics, etc. i mean i don't think there has been a game in the past 5 years that i've played that i haven't played on max textures. due to the crashes on release and my card getting hot i bumped it down to medium and have hesitated to raise it as its run flawlessly other than the huge save game issue. i'm not sure i could say to many other recent games i've played would look as great on medium textures but i suppose its possible. the game has great animation and the sound department is also spot on. also why not a huge part of the game don't forget that driving also adds an element to the game that the others lack.

hopefully we will see expansion/dlcs that add more areas to the island/game but don't forget that this game has been developed over a large number of years.

some may disagree but if you take the dialogue options away i think this game is also the closest game to bloodlines that has been released. the art direction is similar, menus, sound cues etc. the focus on melee combat with guns also playing a role. the hub areas, the characters and even some of the quests. also the sewer levels (with no map) and even in the middle of the game definately is reminiscent of the sewer /warrens level. also much luck bloodlines many people dismissed it originally as too buggy on release (of which i never had any problemes after the first week) and many took years to finally play it, and enjoy it. this game i predict will be somewhat similar though situtions and the games are different. hell its even getting roughly the same average scores as bloodlines low to mid 80's.

I'm pretty sure even with the mixed reviews that Dead Island 2 is either in the making right now or on the drawing board. I know it is stupid to wish for this, but if I had one thing they could fix in this game out of everything (including the plot) I would say to make it more like Beth's game. Let the player explore everywhere. If they can see it then they can go there.

Get rid of the acts and just let me wander around killing monsters, enjoying the scenery, solving sidequests and being paranoid that a zombie will run up from behind me while I'm fighting a guy in front of me.

That's not going to happen, but I'll still buy DI2 in a heartbeat just for the simple fact that this "ok" game is the longest game I've played since Frayed Knights and I don't play games I get bored with. I travel onto the next one. That right there tells me they at least did something right with the battles and environment.

Oh BTW, thanks for the heads up on the jump kick. I never used it once. Kick was good enough to take out the 1 or 2 zombies that always group together.

I now have a skill where if I click both mouse buttons at the same time it will take down any zombie it hits. It's sorta a push, but with your weapon. Love that skill, but you have to time it right with "the infected" and a few others.

what character is that skill with?

Chun Lee......wait I mean Xian Mei.

Her specialty is sharp weapons. Though I think she takes her dedication to sharp weapons a little too far by always wearing high heels. ;) She's gouged many a zombies face with those suckers.

that was my first character i played 'til the crashes.~level 35 she was brutal with sharp weapons but i don't remember seeing that skill. which tree was it on?

I think that special attack is the final skill in the combat tree for either character. The actual attack will be different for each character (I assume) but you trigger it by hitting both mouse buttons at the same time.

I've spent almost 20 hours in this game and am just now about to go into the sewers I think. About 35% through the game according to the loading screen. I'm happy with this as is obviously, but a truly open world game like this would be much better if they could do it.

that was my first character i played 'til the crashes.~level 35 she was brutal with sharp weapons but i don't remember seeing that skill. which tree was it on?

It was the final skill in the middle skill tree that focused on her sharp weapons.

There is no mention of this skill in the actual skill tree itself. It just mentions another boost to sharp weapon damage and a few other things, but once you choose it then a popup appears and tells you about your new skill.

If you guys haven't gotten the skill that lets you stomp on zombies heads when they are down then you need to max out your rage skill tree as soon as possible. I think that is where you get the ability to stomp on their head. In the middle of the skill tree you get a stomp that takes a few seconds to perform. It's ok if there are no zombies around or they are all on the ground, but the last skill in that tree gives you a jump stomp. Takes about a second to perform. I always got a little paranoid when performing the standing stomp because you have to look down while you stomp. I got hit from behind a few times when I was performing that. The jump stomp is a lot faster and more satisfying when you leap on their heads :D

God I love this game. There's so much potential in it. Too bad a lot of that potential was wasted on nonsense. It's still the best action zombie game I've played. Even better than Dead Rising which I loved as well.

Edit: Here's a friendly hint that took me awhile to figure out. When it says to press both the buttons to perform the special move well make sure you don't push the left button before you push the right one. You'll just swing your weapon. What I do is push the right button first then the left. You still pretty much have to push them both at the same time just make sure that the right button is the one that is pushed first.

was at the prison last night ~97% and the the game crashed—now this afternoon i'm finding the same issue with this character after ~40 hours into. have a backup save at 2 hours back but i may just start anew game in the final chapter without all my stuff. ashame as i explored everywhere and finally found out where all survivors went. *********spoiler***********

check the north of the jungle and you will find a whole village with the most driveable cars in the game at one spot, 3. theres close to a dozen survivors there with the same number of quests. its odd as the only way you'll find it is exploration. i huffed it on foot from the fast travel bunker in the middle of the jungle. there's no quests in the game anywhere else that even put you in the vicinity unlike every other quest and location in the game pretty much.

oh and another spoiler**********************

in that vicinity you'll find a horror movie legend who can one-hit kill you and respawns like a mofo. but check out his hut and you won't find an axe but a useable chainsaw! in reality its not that great of a weapon and can't be repaired or upgraded...still

The chainsaw is awesome. Don't be fooled by its stats. All you need to do to unleash hell is aim for the head. ;)
There is a quest that takes you right to the village. When you save a woman on a bridge from zombies she'll ask you to find and take some medical supplies to her friend in the jungle. That takes you to the village.

Last edited:
yes but that quest is nowhere near any other quest. i actually found that village first.
i love the game but with lonesome road coming out today i'll probably shelve it until the game is patched a bit more and the dlc is released, assuming that the ryder dlc isn't some kind of standalone campaign, which it may be. if it were it would be odd as it would seem like that would be a non co-op experience.

Good idea. With a few more patches, some better mods and a little more content then I can totally see this becoming an "always installed" game on my computer.

It's only "good" right now, but it would just take a little more content, patches and mods to make it great. They came so dang close to it, but got distracted by the stupid co-op, imo.

Back
Top Bottom