Shroud of the Avatar - Knight’s Home & Property Deeds

What the heck happened to Garriot?

Definitely made the right choice in not backing this....

It's an odd project which didn't let me expect anything while I throw the minimum pledge at the project. For this very particular project, my pledge is meant to be more of a challenge than a support-it's like, let's see what Garriot can do now under his own name. The billionaire owes me money and my conscience is clear while I'm not sure if the story is the same to Garriot. If he turns out to be a mere scammer through this project, I'll have a good reason to evaluate his position in CRPG history. Under such motivation, I have never pledged any other project.

First off, houses only cost real world money if you want to buy one(optional) and not pay rent in game from your character, plus it is a way to reserve a house and plot if you want. It is not mandatory or even required to play the game, some people will never even use houses.

The push for the housing info I think is coming from people asking about it.

As for my "wishful thinking" I got that info from the rooster event they had which showed in game play and stated they didn't want to give to much out as well as chats I was involved with where I continously tried to get more story info, and was told(many times) that Tracey and Richard did not want to give out too much information that could spoil the story, and if you go by Richard's history he has never given out story info.

The conversation system they demonstrated(in the video I have linked countless times that many of you seem to be oblivious of) was pretty old school in the fact it would allow text based entries which looked as if it could add some depth.

As for the MMO/singleplayer, I think what they are trying to do is a bit different then what we are used to, and I think it has caused a lot of confusion since many cannot comprehend more then a few variables for what a game is. The way it has been explained and demonstrated would be that there are two modes completely offline and online with online split into three modes - single player, friends only, and fully open. Now this is where it gets a bit tricky to explain, single player online allows you to play the game solo, but with over arching world events and changes effecting your game(this is the benefit of online vs offline) You will see shops etc on your own map, just you will not be bothered by other players. Friends only is the same but you choose players you want to see and then fully open well I think you can figure that out.

Is it a perfect system? I'm not sure, but if it plays out right, a lot should be happy. I love the idea of my game having world events caused that change things as a play, it creates a dynamic world. Hence, I think why we are seeing things like housing being explained, it is safe to talk about that and not really effect what people know about the overall game thus ruining it. The video showed a lot of crafting (yes very mmo like, but what crafting in single player games wasn't? I guess you could argue that all crafting is like that)

Which brings me to the overall map and hexes. Interesting fact is they went that route so it would be easier to add to the world since replacing a hex with a new one…say a small hamlet is a easy art asset, then loading that hamlet on entering. There was some talk awhile back about how that would change and sometimes you could find some unique or rare event when you entered a hex. Provides a lot of interesting options.

I'm going to provide that link for the rooster presentation again, have a look and perhaps come away with a not so negative assumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKcoeH1ijjU

Also, did we not do a news report on this update? I can't seem to find it, strange since it wasn't about homes and maybe would have been a different take for some.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=29345

I also have access to some developers blogs where they show off their making of a dungeon and parts and pieces to make a random dungeon, it is neat to see.

Also, what is enough money nowadays for a big game...? Please tell me.

Last edited:
So, my collector's edition won't come with a house, and I have to buy a land deed with real money rather than in-game gold? :thinking:
Oh, well… I'm already in for $150 for the CE, and it's only another $150 for a piece of village property… Wait a minute… $150 O_O… Are they INSANE?
When my characters get hungry, will I have to buy virtual food with real money as well?

So all that writing and you came up with that, disappointing. It won't come with a house but you can buy one with in game money ie gold your character collect.

Why bother writing anything at all if this is what responses you get.

Thank you rune! That cleared things up a bit. One question though: single player online mode… do you know if it's supposed to be F2P, F2P with micro transactions or a sub?

Edit: errr... I don't think Vindicator bothered to read your post rune. And if he did, he certainly missed a couple of details :)

As far as I know, it is buy the game play for free. There will be things released between expansions(the game is said to have 5 expansions, game size expansions planned.) that you can add for paying for but won't affect your playthrough, like art and stuff. That is not entirely clear at this point. I think they are leaving it open to adding to the game and making it financially possible. The unfortunate part of not paying a subscription.

So at the end of the day, it is buy the game and play, so not entirely free to play. Thing more guildwars style in the fact you buy and can play.

Did you watch the video?

EDIT: Oh I was wrong about the not pay in game rent, that is only for kickstarter houses, if you buy a lot in game you have to pay an ingame rent that means gold from adventuring etc or else the lot goes up for sale and the deed goes back in the character slot. I guess this stops people from quiting and having house just sitting there.

No matter what videos I look at or what blogs I read I still get nothing but a bad feeling about this game. I do however respect that your opinion differs Rune, and I do hope you get to tell me "I told you so!" when the game's released. We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know what to think of this game. :S

All I know is it's supposedly a new type of MMO that will allow offline play if you prefer to play it as a single player RPG.

I don't mean to sound negative just confused even with all the information on the game available. I think I will wait for release to judge the game, and just say I'm glad I didn't pledge.:)

There's no way this will have offline play. So many games promise offline play when the game is obviously designed around online play and cash shop and never release offline play. They will keep pushing back the date saying they're still working on offline play and it will be out in a few weeks, then a few months then they'll never talk about it again. Why would they want people playing the game offline where they're not tempted to drop $200 for a house after seeing others flaunt their cash shop purchases in game?

There's no way this will have offline play. So many games promise offline play when the game is obviously designed around online play and cash shop and never release offline play. They will keep pushing back the date saying they're still working on offline play and it will be out in a few weeks, then a few months then they'll never talk about it again. Why would they want people playing the game offline where they're not tempted to drop $200 for a house after seeing others flaunt their cash shop purchases in game?

I love it, I write all this info and you come up with this. don't bother to read, it keeps you in the loop.

Why bother writing anything at all if this is what responses you get.

Oh, I'm sorry Rune, did you say something? :)

Yes, I'm sure you've posted a lot of useful info, but you should know by now that most of us have short attention spans and tend to skim posts and ignore 1000 word essays.

Christ you guys complain if I give short answers and then boom you complain about long answers, there is no winning here;)

Does "overarching world events" include things like sieges? You mean I won't see those during offline play?

Does "overarching world events" include things like sieges? You mean I won't see those during offline play?

I'm assuming you wouldn't but that hasn't been ironed out yet, or, if you did you would be the only non-npc involved...probably would lose some thrill.

if that was a problem I wouldn't play offline ;) I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on a lot of content.

I think you would miss out on dynamic content that gets added and such, basically on the fly. SPO (single player online) would be the mode to play for that, you are online and get those updates but no other players are seen.

Back
Top Bottom