Indie RPGs - Inaria - Preview @ Rampant Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Rampant Coyote has a preview of the Ultima III-inspired indie game, Inaria:
Inaria is an indie role-playing game for Windows that harkens back to the old 8-bit days. The graphics are part of it, but the chiptunes-on-steroids style music is really what kicks it in high gear. I told the author, Anthony Salter (who wrote this great guest post the other day) that it really invokes the old Ultima III vibe for me.
For me, this is a good thing. On the nostalgic side, Ultima III was the CRPG that “blew my mind” and made me fall in love with the genre. While fairly simple by today’s standards, it felt deliciously deep and complex at the time, full of mystery and thing to explore.
I’m quite certain that this comparison is not coincidental. While Inaria is its own game, it’s clear that the author wasn’t trying to hide its sources of inspiration.
More information.

Looks like my kind of game, will give it a play when it gets release most likely.

I know he was worried about putting in some more advanced special effects (particles and stuff) for fear it would detract from the old-school look and feel to the game. I didn't want to imply that the game was a U3 clone or anything like that - but U3 inspired a lot of games, including the 8-bit JRPGs, and it really feels like this game is tied into that era / style for inspiration.

I didn't see a price listed there. Is he distributing this for free? I think it could be fund to play, but not sure I'd pay more than a few bucks for it.

It will be $4.99. That's just a wee bit more than you would have to pay for a venti latte at Starbucks, but this one lasts longer ;)

I hate starbucks! $0.25 coffee for me!

Back
Top Bottom