The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Spinning Dark Passion Play right now. Wow what an album. Nightwish has truly outdone themselves this time around. The new lead singer is not as vocally powerful, or graceful as Tarja was, but she gives the music a younger more edgy feel which is a nice evolution for the band. Any Nightwish fans better get this one immediately!

That makes me want to :boogie:

Any Nightwish fans better get this one immediately!

I'm skeptical tiger, been listening to samples. Hesitant to pay full price on this new one. You can change a lot of things, but the singer is the most dramatic of all changes! It does sound nicely heavy at times, the male vocals are tearing it up too, like on track #5 they almost sound like Therion or something. This would not be bad. I'll have to think about it some more, maybe I can hear some more full tunes on YouTube or something.

Been spinning Mercyful Fate's "Dont Break the Oath" this evening. I like King Diamond's early stuff, hell I like all his stuff really. It's pretty loaded with the satan-schtick in the early days, but it's also pretty scary in a way because of his shrieking. "Desecration of Souls" is unbelievable! My god he sounds possessed at times, and like he has multiple personality disorder or something as well. Either you love him or hate him there's no middle of the road with Kings unique style, Ive known people who cant stand it. It's a strange mix of classic metal and black metal, I cant help but like the old school solos and stuff. This is true metal, there's no denying his influence on metal to come. Ive kinda always liked King's stuff because he often goes into these weird stories and such, and on his solo stuff, full concept albums. Though the lyrics are questionable at times, I tend to give him a pass because the overall package rocks. I have a feeling i'll be doing a lot of King Diamond's stuff in the weeks to come.

Next up - "In the Shadows", a departure from the satan thing, and more into tradition ghost story territory with songs such as the Bell Witch and the Headless Horseman, even tho there is a brief dip back into the old days with "is that you, Melissa?", the sequel to Melissa, the song of his grief and longing after his girl is chose for the sacrifice. Or does she volunteer herself? The return to the speedier take on the main riff in the end of this song is awesome.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical tiger, been listening to samples. Hesitant to pay full price on this new one. You can change a lot of things, but the singer is the most dramatic of all changes! It does sound nicely heavy at times, the male vocals are tearing it up too....

I understand... The first track is a 13 minute epic that completely blows you away, with changes in melody about 4 times. In that sense it is reminiscent of Ghost Love Score. The second track Bye Bye Beautiful also rocks the male vocals really well. Unfortunately there are a couple of tracks that Holpainen sings almost exclusively, and that to me has always been a bad thing. He's a great songwriter and backup singer, but not as lead. As I said before, whatshername (can't remember the new girl's name) is no Tarja. Amaranth is the most radio friendly track and is definitely one of the best, but mainly because it fits whatshername's voice really well. You can tell it's a slight deviation from the typical Nightwish fare. Other songs on the album leave you thinking they were written for Tarja and would sound better with her singing them, being too powerful for a less operatic voice.

Listening with a critical ear I would say overall this album is as good as Once, and is definitely not a step backward imho. The songwriting is strong as ever - maybe strongest ever, and in the end just boils down to whether or not you like the new girl.

You were talking about lyrics, and that does bring me to my biggest criticism about Nightwish. I think Holpainen's lyrics are intelligent enough, but he always seems to be creating some sort of story that never really makes sense. Dark Passion Play is no different... right from the beginning "The Poet and the Pendulum," it seems that an epic story is in the making, but again, it's all sort of bizzarre and incoherent. At the end you are left wondering if any songs were linked to the others or what?

I don't know if you are into Progressive metal Sammy, but my favorite concept album will forever be Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime." - Now that's a story! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_mindcrime

"Suite Sister Mary" from that album is an 11 minute work of art.

Iit's also pretty scary in a way because of his shrieking.
Eeeeeeeeeegypt, Eee-hee-hee-gypt!

Who doesn't like King Diamond? He's one funny Dane :D.

Not sure how I'd categorize this group. I hear a lot of echoes of the Smiths, but I'm not sure that's a valid reference point. I was supposed to get their cd today, but my darling wife didn't get the door for UPS so now I've got to wait until Monday. Anyway, enjoy!
"Keeping You in Mind" by Mighty Six Ninety.
(the other tracks are quite good as well, but they didn't put up the tune that reeled me in initially, Believable)

There are blues you get from women when you see 'em going swimmin' and you haven't got a bathing suit yourself.

There are blues you get much quicker when you're drinking lots of liquor and somebody goes and takes it off the shelf.

There are blues you get when everything's in hock.

When your boyfriend doesn't answer when you knock.

There are blues you get from getting in the taxi cab and fretting every time you hear the bumper jump clock.

There are blues you get from trying to keep your uncle Bill from dying and he afterwards forgets you in his will.

[funeral march]

There are blues you get from kisses when you're walking with your missus and another girl shouts, "Hi, Bill!"

Well the blues'll make you wanna hop, stop, shake, shiver.

The blues'll make you wanna end it right in the river.

The blues my naughty sweetie gives to me.

Been digesting my Mighty Six Ninety cd today. Some very good tunes mixed with some decidedly average ones, but worth the money overall even though I got raped on shipping charges. Still not sure what to call the genre. I've thought about coining a dte original, "Shoe Wave", but even what that implies really isn't accurate. I can't really call it generic Britpop either, though. Hmmmm...

Listening to Zombie Ghost Train's "Dealing the Death Card" cd.

This is one of those bad purchases that I know is such, right from the first listen. Granted that the lyrics for this type of band arent Shakespeare, but they can at least be clever. They can be creative, as they are on their "Glad Rags and Body Bags" cd. I'm still trying to figure out what that title means tho.... nevertheless, it's a great cd.

this one isnt.

It's clearly their first effort out the door, and it shows. One or two lines that repeat the entire song, and that line isnt even good. The 50's rock-meets-monster-punk is kinda there, but it sounds like a high school band. They prolly were in high school when they recorded it. It sucks. I'm bummed

the new radiohead album - in rainbows-- its delicious

Hey curiouslyundead - when posting try to give links so we can all benefit from each other. Some of us don't immediately know Radiohead, so a link helps!

I just grabbed John Scofield's This Meets That from iTunes. It is interesting and appropriately named - his stuff tends to vary between funky jazz-fusion stuff and straight-ahead jazz, and this combines the best of both.

sorry mike. it was late, and i was excited, and i had only listened to the first song at that point, and was tying to capture my elation at that point without regard to sharing :) here is a link to the excellent first song on the new album in rainbows. 15 step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgAYPPsZajE&mode=related&search=

No prob - it is just that I like that this thread is different than those on other forums in that we don't just state the group, we link up to sound samples or videos to showcase the music we like. It is a great way of sharing cool stuff - oh, thanks for the link :)

this was a toss up whether or not to put this in the movie thread is it has a horror bent to it. i was looking for another lisa germano to post, and came across this video done by some french company. the video has a very bioshock medical level feel to it. great video to a great song - cancer of everything. view discretion is probably advised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpNBJUXOE3c

any one heard of janet greene? i've always enjoyed the commie lies song that kdvs has used as a a station promo. i finally checked it out and its rather intriguing. personally i find "facist threat" pretty catchy. if they make a bioshock 2 they should have some of her music in it.
http://conelrad.com/greene/janetgreene_songbook.php

Wow. The incredibly incorrect sound of American propoganda rears its ugly head and takes the seemingly innocent form of a classy recording artist of the 60's. I think you're on to something here Curiously, except I would say even more appropriately attached to Fallout 3 than Bioshock 2. :end:

Back
Top Bottom