EA Bid Signals Industry Change @ GameDaily

It is always sad, I think, to see an independent developer go under like Iron Lore has done. However, I agree that the computer industry is just that - an industry - at the moment. But so where the beer & bread industry a little while ago. More and more people now want to buy from small(er) microbreweries and buys handcrafted bread which has been sitting a long time before its baked in a good oldfashioned stone oven.

Maybe soon this actually will spill over to the pc market. And by that I mean that publishers and developers do realize that there's a (smaller) market for high qualitity games which does not need the next gen graphics. I think that's what Bioware are trying to do with their Dragon Age game.

If we look at the movie industry, George Clooney got Sony? to back up his political films by agreeing to make some blockbuster films. Maybe the same thing could happen in the computer industry ?

As for anti-trust laws, I thought they still existed in the US? At least they still exist in the EU....which incidentally just gave Microsoft another fine..to pay...

As a more general comment, I think that maybe John Riccitiello is correct when he says that a publisher really can't rely on a major single title now or in the future. I also think that Bioware joint CEO's (or generak mangers) clearly saw some of this and made the correct business decision when they decided to sell to EA. (or merge)

As for anti-trust laws, I thought they still existed in the US? At least they still exist in the EU....which incidentally just gave Microsoft another fine..to pay...

Yes, and that sum is not small ...

Back
Top Bottom