Baldur's Gate EE, higher level cap, new npc

In terms of future projects, Oster indicates that an update to Icewind Dale is more likely than a move to Baldur’s Gate 3, which would require a whole new engine.

Ooh, I like that! IWD EE!! (And no BG3 :D)

In addition, “#bgee will have all the classes and races added by BG2 and Throne of Bhall. We’re planning at least one completely new kit.”

That's a bit worrying though.... I played BG1TuTu once as a Sorcerer. Do you know how pathetic level 1 Sorcerer is?? It will be so unbalanced!

Higher level cap will potentially cause balance problems (there are already balance issues with the idea that they are importing ToB kits into BG1 - the Blade bard kit for example is massively overpowered in BGT/Tutu). The higher level cap also makes BG2 easier if you're importing your PC.

Bad move in my view. Would have been better to review XP awarded throughout the game and reduce it appropriately (eg basilisks in BG1 give you ludicrous amounts of XP and can be defeated easily with a couple of mirrored eyes potions).

This is definitely one project I won't be trying out day one. Not about to have my memories of BG & its supremely good TotSC dashed by the power curve these guys throw out. So, I'll be waiting until a few comprehensive reviews surface.

So many purists, nothing they do to the enhanced edition will change what the original was. I'm surprised so many are against professional enhancements but openly embrace mods.

nothing they do to the enhanced edition will change what the original was.
Yes it will. The original will lose its uniqueness, its 'aura'. It will stop being the 'Baldur's Gate' and it will become 'the old, dirty Baldur's Gate', the one that people don't need to play because they can play the new shiny one which has more stuff. If this game is Baldur's Gate then this game defines what Baldur's Gate is from now on, and even what Baldur's Gate was meant to be. And if it turns out to be inferior then Baldur's Gate will, from now on, be an inferior game, albeit with a good old version that nobody will be playing anymore.

People are not against mods because their unofficial nature makes them unable to define what the game is.

Yes it will. The original will lose its uniqueness, its 'aura'. It will stop being the 'Baldur's Gate' and it will become 'the old, dirty Baldur's Gate', the one that people don't need to play because they can play the new shiny one which has more stuff. If this game is Baldur's Gate then this game defines what Baldur's Gate is from now on, and even what Baldur's Gate was meant to be. And if it turns out to be inferior then Baldur's Gate will, from now on, be an inferior game, albeit with a good old version that nobody will be playing anymore.

People are not against mods because their unofficial nature makes them unable to define what the game is.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying. If the enhanced edition comes out and is inferior to the original. Instead of saying , well the enhanced version was a failure and going back to playing the original. (which is what I would do BTW.) People will say well this is what BG is now and they will only play the new version now because it is shiny and not go back to the original version because it is old and dirty.

Now i'm even more confused as to why people are resistant to a few changes.

They are just making some changes to an old video game, not rewriting the bible or world history.

There is another possibility. That they do a great job and it's a far superior game than the original was. Creating the opportunity for more party based d&d crpg's to be made.

The only way I could understand your point is if they destroyed the original BG code and confiscated every copy of BG ever made and destroyed them too. Thats obviously not the case and any fan of BG will still have the original on disc, HD or gog account.

Actually imo, the only way the original gets forgotten is if the EE is so good that no one cares to play the original anymore. If the EE is a flop I think that will make the original be held in even higher regard.

It's a win-win situation. It might be even better than the original, and if it's not, you don't have to play it. The original will always be there.

I've yet to hear of any changes that don't sound like positive addtions to the game.

Last edited:
Clearly, he's an idiot. How about finish BG EE first then talk about other games? So far I've heard: *If* BG EE AND BG2 EE are successful, BG3 is possible. *If* BG EE is successful, there's better chance for IWD EE before BG3. *If* we can do Torment EE, Torment 2 is possible. How about before they talk, get one thing done first?

Clearly, he's an idiot. How about finish BG EE first then talk about other games? So far I've heard: *If* BG EE AND BG2 EE are successful, BG3 is possible. *If* BG EE is successful, there's better chance for IWD EE before BG3. *If* we can do Torment EE, Torment 2 is possible. How about before they talk, get one thing done first?

I think that's because he gets asked questions about BG 3 and Torment 2 every 4.2 seconds on Twitter and other places, and the "if BG EE is successful..." is the most neutral and diplomatic answer there can be under the circumstances.

Have you been following this tweet? https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster

Few pickings from the Twitter feed:
- Resolution targetted for Full HD: "The new UI work and the mod systems are going to be developed on the PC and make the #PC #bgee amazing. I'm looking forward to 1920x1200"
- There will be zoom: "Zoom is user controlled, within our pre-defined limits. Zoom is the answer. The world will be algorithmically scaled up so objects aren't tiny."
- Many original BG developers: "There are now 8 former #Bioware people working on #bgee. How did that happen?"
- EA sucks, nothing new: "We talked #Ultima #overhaul with EA. there was no love."
- Boxed version still open: "We've been surprised by the number of people asking for a box copy of #bgee It is something we are looking into"
- Something yet unnaounched coming up: "First story meeting with our new full time writer = Much happiness. Feeling better about the new as-yet-unnamed adventure"

Higher level cap will potentially cause balance problems (there are already balance issues with the idea that they are importing ToB kits into BG1 - the Blade bard kit for example is massively overpowered in BGT/Tutu). The higher level cap also makes BG2 easier if you're importing your PC.

Bad move in my view. Would have been better to review XP awarded throughout the game and reduce it appropriately (eg basilisks in BG1 give you ludicrous amounts of XP and can be defeated easily with a couple of mirrored eyes potions).

Good move in my view. I always install the level cap remover. I'm just not a great tactical player, so having my PC's be able to get a little more powerful makes the games much more enjoyable to me. The first time I played BG, I got to the final boss and was unable to win the battle no matter what I tried.

I think you're getting a little over dramatic here. The majority of people that are probably going to buy BGEE are people that already played the original. Given that just about every single person that plays the original these days heavily mods it, I don't think its going to change anything.

Back
Top Bottom