NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Official Release Date!

Ossian tends to undersell time-to-play (i.e., for much of its development, DoD was estimated at 15 hours...), so I would say that the 15 hours is on the low side (and is probably timed by someone playing through the game at a fast pace, like a tester). My guess is if you complete all side-quests--at a typical, leisurely CRPG pace--you'll get something along the lines of 20 hours, perhaps even more. 20 hours for 9.99 is a great deal. Now, the DRM stuff... that's a different story and very disappointing to hear, if true.

Screw the DRM, how many time will one install it anyway, one time is anough fore me.

I have installed the NWN Premium Modules at least 5 times, so this is a real issue for me.

I have installed the NWN Premium Modules at least 5 times, so this is a real issue for me.

All on separate computers? There are unlimited installs on the same computer.

Over the course of many years of course it will be on more than 3 computers. No, sorry, the DRM is absolutely unacceptable. Generally I'd just say "screw it" and not buy it but now it's hurting a studio about which I care. Just had do this this a week ago when I found out about Dark Athena. I own two copies of Butcher Bay and generally loved the game, but Dark Athena is also a no-sale now for me.

If a revocation tool is released, I'll about face, but for now it's an absolute no buy.

By the way, the disc-based Polish version will be sold for an equivalent of $15.

Over the course of many years of course it will be on more than 3 computers.

I guess if I'm still playing a game over many years then I'll consider it a bargain even if I have to buy additional copies. But remember, this is only an adventure pack - 15 hours is the estimated play time, not 15 years.

I'm looking forward to the expansion by why are we being ripped off in the UK? I want to pay in Euro's/Dollars!

Daniel.

With how I am with games I would definetly hit the install limit since I play games and don't finish them then uninstall them sometime down the line then come back in a few years and install again.

I'm looking forward to the expansion by why are we being ripped off in the UK? I want to pay in Euro's/Dollars!

Daniel.

Well pound and euro are virtually at parity, and I don't think the dollar rate includes sales tax (which is included in the euro/pound cost), so they're essentially all the same to the nearest .99

I bought every expansion for NWN2 and i wanted to buy this, but there is no way Iam buying something that i have limited number of times i can use it.

My main problem whit replaying old games, is that so many new good games are comming out, I have problems finding time to do it. I only have between 30 min to 2 hours to play each day, many day no time at all, as work and family take up the rest of the time.

So even that i love many of my old games, new experince is almost always more fun, so I rather spend my limit game time on new games that old ones! Even if I replay a game, I tend to it right after my 1st walk through, this only happen whit really good games white difrend options along the story line, like Mass Effect and The Witcher.

The way Atari has handled this whole mess, from constantly delaying the release to this final DRM BS, is a complete slap in the face to Ossian. I think they deserve to succeed. It's really a shame to see a promising indy company saddled with a dinosaur of a publisher like Atari.

Yep - only once per computer ... and I think it is actually 6 or 7. Maybe 8 for the first couple.

Something as simple as plugging in an external HD can count as being a "new" computer to an activation system.

Once upon a time when you purchased software it was yours to do with as you wished... i.e., put it on a shelf to collect dust, then pull it down one day to reinstall... I know the pirates have made this a thing of the past, but I can still pine for better days.
It really is hard to believe that I can spend money on a piece of software and have a company tell me it will self-destruct after a certain number installs. Just doesn't seem right.

Personally, the limit won't affect me at all. That said, it's a crying shame Ossian has been saddled with this whole drama and a pity Atari has wasted community good-will stuffing around for a DRM system that won't help them.

At least, in theory, I understand end-users don't buy the copy-righted content but that they are simply buy the right for the limited access to it. CDs and DVDs are just medium which makes it possible for end-users to access the content. We are, however, accustomed to think that we "bought" something "solid" in our hands while we bought something abstract. As for music, mostly through Apple, music industry established a new distribution system and end-users began to be accustomed to it, especially it has trade-offs such as convenience and the cheaper price. However, the game industry is still struggling. Casual games can be "bought" through the same route as the music are but there should be some other ways for "serious" games.

Are 10 dollars for 3 installation rights expensive? Does it allow end-users to play a game even after years?

Are 10 dollars for 3 installation rights expensive? Does it allow end-users to play a game even after years?

For me the problem is not the price. For me the problem is I feel like I rent the game. That would be all fine except they constantly talk about "sales". Lost "sales", bad "sales" etc. If they "sell" me something I expect to own it and be able to do with it as I please, otherwise they should change it to "rent" (which I think is what "buying limited access" actually is). For me this just feels like a way to slowly change the public perception of ownership to owning = renting.

For me the problem is not the price. For me the problem is I feel like I rent the game. That would be all fine except they constantly talk about "sales". Lost "sales", bad "sales" etc. If they "sell" me something I expect to own it and be able to do with it as I please, otherwise they should change it to "rent" (which I think is what "buying limited access" actually is). For me this just feels like a way to slowly change the public perception of ownership to owning = renting.

I'm not sure why public perception should suddenly change. We've been agreeing to contracts that clearly state we aren't buying the game, only licensing it, for years and years.

These license conditions are actually an increase in our rights - before we were only licensed on a single computer, now it's three.

To me this just puts this into the realm of console-centric DLC, where you basically get the rights to play it forever on your console, but if you buy a new console for another room you are SOL.

Back
Top Bottom