GOG - Renewed

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Good Old Games has been renewed and changed.

Here is the summary we received:

Today I'd like to introduce you a fresh version of GOG.com!

We're still 100% DRM-free and, besides the games, GOG.com now offers DRM-free movies:) More details here.

What else?

• Local currency option - from now on you can decide if you want to pay in US Dollars or in your local currency (Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars or Russian Roubles)
  • New payment methods - Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney and Yandex
  • Fair Price Package - there are some games in our portfolio which follow regional pricing scheme. Any difference between regional price and standard US Dollars price will be refunded by GOG.com by adding this amount to the account in Store Credit
  • Improved interface and new look
Want to know more? Check here.

Unfortunately there are some games that can't be offered in our new local currency pricing scheme. Still there is a chance to get them up to 80% off until 3:59AM GMT September 2nd, 2014!
The videos are 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture.
There are in total 35 games that will be removed from the catalogue (including the Gothic games), so if you don't have them yet, this might be your chance.

More information.

Why are they doing this regional price crap? To get more games on their list?

DRMfree movies? Um… Now I'm stunned. I don't want to throw away my movie DVD collection (hell I spilled my own blood to get House of Flying Daggers), but okay, if I see something I don't really want on fixed media, count me in!

Any explanation why are they removing Gothic games?

EDIT:
gog.com says this frequently:
"We're overwhelmed by popularity of our service, please check back soon!"

:D

The complete old Spellforce series is - 75%.
Bought it again, because the old CD versions are not DRM free.

A very stupid move to remove gothics from gog.

Huge disrespect :thumbsdown:

I doubt you'll ever see Hollywood embrace DRM free copies. They have, and continue to, put in a lot of effort in the complete opposite direction. There is currently a lot of resistence to digital copies in general, for fear of piracy. Who knows? Maybe that could change, but I doubt I'll live to see it. (Currently in my early 40s.)

The complete old Spellforce series is - 75%.
Bought it again, because the old CD versions are not DRM free.
I was thinking in get, but isn't fully complete (Faith in Destiny is absent)

Anyone know why exactly they're taking off these games? Does Deep Silver (or whoever currently holds the rights to the Gothics) want this? Or why exactly is this being done?
The original news, before they edited, informed the problem is a pricing issue. And the publisher affected is Nordic Games together with the ones from Penumbra/Amnesia

A very stupid move to remove gothics from gog.

Well I don't know -- I've always skipped these in past sales thinking "Eh, I don't know when I'll have time to play these, and they'll always be available cheap" -- but the threat that they'd disappear did get the five bucks out of my wallet.

Most of these games are from Nordic Games. Their catalog is often on sale ... but usually not DRM free.

I was thinking in get, but isn't fully complete (Faith in Destiny is absent)

The most important parts are the first one (aRPG + RTS + Settlers -> overkill) with the add-ons and the 2nd (more streamlined and 50% of the features cut out, but a quality product through and through). The rest? Sounded cheap.

Don't forget Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich, guys. It had Starforce on the disc when it came out.

Anyone know why exactly they're taking off these games? Does Deep Silver (or whoever currently holds the rights to the Gothics) want this? Or why exactly is this being done?

I want to know that reason Nordic are removing their games from GoG. Is it because of their fair pricing policy? Is that the consequence of conducting fair business!

Regarding the Gothics, Nordic only has rights for Gothic 2 and 3, not Gothic 1 (hence you don't see it often in sales). The rights of Gothic 1 are with PB.

The most important parts are the first one (aRPG + RTS + Settlers -> overkill) with the add-ons and the 2nd (more streamlined and 50% of the features cut out, but a quality product through and through). The rest? Sounded cheap.
I already have the full series in Steam, but was looking to get in GOG too, but not lacking a title

Well I don't know — I've always skipped these in past sales thinking "Eh, I don't know when I'll have time to play these, and they'll always be available cheap" — but the threat that they'd disappear did get the five bucks out of my wallet.

Yeah you're right about that. I also picked up Forsaken gods for a rainy day. The day has to be very rainy though and my backlog empty before i touch on that turd :p But gothic collection needs to be complete!

I also bought a digital copy of gothic 3… No use for the dvd anymore.

Back
Top Bottom