Cyanide Studios - A Game of Thrones RPG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
You'll remember that French studio Cyanide popped up with the rights to A Song of Ice and Fire a while back, and then subsequently revealed a strategy game Genesis. An RPG is also in development, which has been previewed at French site Factor News (thanks, Nafai). You can read the Google translation here and a handful of screens are included. According to the translation, they have decided on a "strongly narrative RPG" and "citing Planescape - Torment, Baldur's Gate II or KOTOR as an example".
More information.

Is it too early for me to get really excited? I can barely wait until the series comes out on HBO.

For an rpg, the writing seems pretty solid, as in, a bit more on the not done/over done side.

But, 2 screens isn't enough to form an opinion of the gameplay. The battle system sounds a bit like a Final Fantasy style where it doesn't pause which is quite nice.

I played there first rpg called Loki and it was not a good game. Hopefully they learned from there mistakes. So I will be neutral for now and see when the two games come out.

Last edited:
Well, I'm currently rereading the game of thrones in preperation for the TV series and well just cuz it's a great series. Interested in this one if it is good.

I could see a Betrayal at Krondor-style game fitting well with the story. Something tells me there's less than zero chance of that happening, though.

I am waiting for the next book in the series for some years now … A Dance of Dragons

Newest update

TUESDAY, JULY 12, 2011

I'm pretty sure he is going to make this, since he is basically done and the audio book guy has started.

I've been waiting for a crpg to come out for A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time series for a long time and now both are in development and I hope they turn out good.

The only concern that I have is that the series is very dark, with some pretty heavy themes, and I wonder how they could possibly translate that to a video game and maintain an M rating. I mean, one of the central running plot points is a child borne of incest ascending the throne.

I hate those books. The quality is below average and the writer is overrated. But it's a cash cow serie that will probably never be finished. Planned as trilogy, then quadrology, then six, nine, god only knows how many books it'll have.
I won't watch HBO's tv show out of principle.

Even if you disagree with me and idolize those books, you tell me, if you've read any of those books like I did - who can persuade you that a game that'll be based on those books will have anything in common with Planescape:Torment?

I hate those books. The quality is below average and the writer is overrated. But it's a cash cow serie that will probably never be finished. Planned as trilogy, then quadrology, then six, nine, god only knows how many books it'll have.
I won't watch HBO's tv show out of principle.

Even if you disagree with me and idolize those books, you tell me, if you've read any of those books like I did - who can persuade you that a game that'll be based on those books will have anything in common with Planescape:Torment?

First off...there's 4 books so far, and in a multi-volume series, it's not uncommon for a series to go beyond it's designated number. Secondly, if it were a "cash cow," Martin might be writing more than one book every 5 years or so. It's not as if Martin needs the money, either. He's had a career outside of these books, and I'm sure that he's just fine.

Most importantly, why would the game need to have anything in common with PS:T?

First off…there's 4 books so far, and in a multi-volume series, it's not uncommon for a series to go beyond it's designated number. Secondly, if it were a "cash cow," Martin might be writing more than one book every 5 years or so. It's not as if Martin needs the money, either. He's had a career outside of these books, and I'm sure that he's just fine.

Most importantly, why would the game need to have anything in common with PS:T?

You bit...which was what he was going for.

Back
Top Bottom