JA2 Reloaded - Alpha Footage

It's difficult to get a feel for the game based on the video. It *might* work despite all the pessimism that spread after the announcements to abandon turn-based combat.

I thought that the developers decided to show all enemies on the map all the time. Perhaps I misunderstood, because in the video it says that this won't be the case. Rather, you will be able to buy satellite support if you wish, which would show all enemies on the map.

I think it would be cooler if at some point you could buy/built a drone which could do fly-overs.

Looks decent, never liked the original so i might give this a shot.

Not the game i want so a no buy unfortunly.
Looks nice though. Perhaps after some critical positive reviews i will change my mind.

I think that they made a huge mistake by using the Jagged Alliance title for this game. It looks promising, but because they are changing parts of the great and classic JA formula, many of the series' fans are never going to give this new entry a fair chance to prove itself. For me, it's far too early to tell whether I will be interested in this game or not, but it doesn't seem bad so far.

It's not called 'JA2 Reloaded' anymore, as the developers realized it would be a blasphemy.

I think that they made a huge mistake by using the Jagged Alliance title for this game. It looks promising, but because they are changing parts of the great and classic JA formula, many of the series' fans are never going to give this new entry a fair chance to prove itself. For me, it's far too early to tell whether I will be interested in this game or not, but it doesn't seem bad so far.

I've read comments here and there about disappointed fans but the mere use of the franchise seems to generate quite a bit of buzz that may end up making up for it. Since the primary gripe seems to be about RTWP, I'd say judging from the video they may have done a good enough job to make it at least acceptable in that sense, even for the fans. The question is whether that sort of gameplay will appeal enough to a younger audience for the title to at least break even - the JA2 fans that are still playing games probably won't be enough regardless.

I've read comments here and there about disappointed fans but the mere use of the franchise seems to generate quite a bit of buzz that may end up making up for it. Since the primary gripe seems to be about RTWP, I'd say judging from the video they may have done a good enough job to make it at least acceptable in that sense, even for the fans. The question is whether that sort of gameplay will appeal enough to a younger audience for the title to at least break even - the JA2 fans that are still playing games probably won't be enough regardless.

That's a good point, Charles; using the name does indeed spark interest from those that played the originals, and this is an interest that might not otherwise exist. I just hope that, if it does become a solid game, the limited fan base you mentioned will be open-minded enough to give it a shot - there are are far too few tactical games of this nature to not at least try it out. As for younger gamers, the pessimistic view would be to say that younger gamers would hate a game based purely on strategy and tactics, but hopefully (assuming that the game is enjoyable), there will be enough new fans to generate a reasonable profit.

I just hope that, if it does become a solid game, the limited fan base you mentioned will be open-minded enough to give it a shot -

Count this fan as a closed minded old man screaming at the neighborhood kids to "get off my lawn!"

The only way I'm buying this is if the reviews from some of the JA2 fansites like Bear's Pit say it's an ok game. It doesn't have to be great or phenomenal, but an "ok" review from some of them might make me stop screaming at the kids.

Count this fan as a closed minded old man screaming at the neighborhood kids to "get off my lawn!"

The only way I'm buying this is if the reviews from some of the JA2 fansites like Bear's Pit say it's an ok game. It doesn't have to be great or phenomenal, but an "ok" review from some of them might make me stop screaming at the kids.

I certainly understand your hesitation, as JA 1+2 were both great games that I would consider classics. However, does it automatically make the game bad just because it is making a few changes? I don't think that all change is a bad thing, and sometimes new ideas are needed; after all, JA was originally a very unique concept compared to other games of the time, so I prefer to be open-minded towards new ideas - even if a great series is being changed a bit. Of course, the changes could always be of the DA2 variety, which would mean regression instead of positive, innovative new ideas, but I'll reserve my judgment until the game comes out and hope for the best. As I said previously, there are far to few tactical game of this nature to outright dismiss this game so quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get some ok reviews from those guys, since they seem to be open minded. They were enthusiastic about BE5 and 7.62, which is understandable considering how few options there are for folks looking for this sort of game. Of course there's a great chance that this game will a buggy POS, and the changes from the original might be just the least of the marks against it.

But golly we sure are short on games that even try to capture that old JA magic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The problem is, it can never be great, at least for me. No matter how good it is (and to be honest I have a hard time believing it can be all that good in real time) I will always look at it with a "what could have been" view. It turns out to be good? Just imagine how great it could have been if they had left it turn based like they should have.

Back
Top Bottom