Indie RPGs - iOS - Time of Heroes and Call of Cthulhu

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Time to catch up on a couple of items.
Smuttlewerk (Companions) sent in this trailer for their new iOS turn-based strategy/RPG, Time of Heroes.
Joystiq has some details on Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, which launches on iOS on January 30th but is later slated to come to the PC and other devices:
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is a turn-based strategy RPG based around the works of cult horror writer H.P.Lovecraft. The game is set in the midst of the First World War and pits a team of soldiers and investigators against an insidious cult intent on using the slaughter of the Great War to open the doors to an invasion of eldritch horrors.

Announced in May this year and set to launch initially on iPhone and iPod (both SD and HD versions), Red Wasp Design then later plan to infect other platforms such as iPad, Android, PC and consoles with their World War One themed turn-based strategy horror. The game has been developed in co-operation with Chaosium, the purveyors of the cult horror role playing game based on Lovecraft's work, Call of Cthulhu. The much loved RPG marked it's 30th year of publication in 2011 and continues to grow in scope and reputation.
More details and screens at the Red Wasp Design site.
More information.

Red Wasp plans to release Call of Cthulhu on iPad, Android, PC and consoles in the future.

This just made my day.

This might be my very first game for my new Blackberry playbook. Man, I do love me some Cthulhu! Assuming I can figure out how to get the playbook to work by then =p

-Carn

Cool my wife got an ipad 2 for christmas...would be nice if a lot more indie companies made games for it. I have played a few so far that are pretty good.

This might be my very first game for my new Blackberry playbook. Man, I do love me some Cthulhu! Assuming I can figure out how to get the playbook to work by then =p

-Carn

Sadly the Playbook is even more useless without rooting than the HP TouchPad ...

LOL ya I've been tryin to set up this playbook for 3 days now, it keeps hanging up during registration. One day when I'm really bored I'll call up their support and figure it out, but I'm dreaming of the day that I can play basic games on it.

-Carn

Woot! Can't wait to check this one out. Reminds me that I still need to finish Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Sadly the Playbook is even more useless without rooting than the HP TouchPad …
Pffffft. I suppose if you're basing that solely on the selection of apps that is true but the HP TouchPad interface absolutely kills iOS and Android *in my personal opinion*. I picked one up for my wife and daughter in the fire sale and fell in love with the WebOS interface straight away. Brought it into work and even my Apple zealot co workers admit that they prefer the interface. So there ;-P

I suppose if you're basing that solely on the selection of apps that is true but the HP TouchPad interface absolutely kills iOS and Android *in my personal opinion*. I picked one up for my wife and daughter in the fire sale and fell in love with the WebOS interface straight away. Brought it into work and even my Apple zealot co workers admit that they prefer the interface. So there ;-P

I have a Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus (though they are inactive right now) and so grabbed a 32GB TouchPad immediately on the 'firesale'. I am a definite 'fanboy' of webOS ... but that wasn't my point.

My analogy was to say that the Playbook, albeit still commercially available, is more dead than an OFFICIALLY dead product like the TouchPad. The Playbook STILL doesn't have a native email client ... just THINK about that for a second and wonder why RIM isn't fully out of business yet?!?

As for the HP ... Apps matter - and the HP is anemic AT BEST when it comes to availability of apps ... unless you like Facebook, as the FB app is STILL one of the best. You have a few dozen games, a beta version of the Kindle software, no nook, Kobo, Google eBooks, not even the eReader software that was great on earlier Palm devices ...

And honestly, I don't think the interface scales as well to larger devices - you lose so much of the gesture interface that works so well on the Pre and Pixi.

I haven't used the WebOS on any of the other devices so I can't comment on the scaling and app selection is certainly limited but, man, that TouchPad is sexy.

I know you were speaking mainly about the Playbook but I had to have a little fun there since you mentioned the TouchPad. Nothing serious. I have absolutely zero experience with the Playbook but can very much tell you that RIM is still around because of corporate BBerrys and the requisite BES hardware / subscriptions.

I work for a very large multi-national corporation and to this very day the only phones that they will provide are BlackBerry unless you are in sales then you can get a droid or an iOS device. It's maddening but they have so much deployed BES infrastructure and their licensing agreements are apparently hideous to get out of. I'll admit my 9930 is a very, very, nice phone but if I had a say in it then I'd be rocking a 4S.

Been watching this since May (or I would have been, if they had said anything since then). I love me some strategy and I also love... turn-based games. Looks like a win/win in my playbook!

har har.

Back
Top Bottom