Thief 4 - Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eidos Interactive has officially announced Thief 4, in development at Eidos Montreal alongside Deus Ex 3:
Eidos-Montréal is excited to unveil its previously secret second title in development at the studio, Thief™ 4, the next instalment in the legendary series.
The original Thief game, Thief: The Dark Project redefined first person gaming and established an entirely new genre of stealth based game play. The critically and commercially acclaimed Thief series has won numerous awards and accolades including GameSpy Hall of Fame, GameSpot Greatest Games of All Time and The Academy of Interactive Arts And Sciences Outstanding Achievement in Character and Story Development.
Eidos-Montréal, which is also currently producing the much anticipated Deus Ex™ 3, has recruited the very best core team for the development of Thief 4. The team is comprised of industry veterans who have worked on an incredible collection of AAA titles and who each bring personal expertise in their respective fields.
“We’re in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious and exciting project for Eidos,” said Stéphane D’Astous, General Manager at Eidos-Montréal. “While it’s too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market.”
Development is under way and the team is looking to recruit the very best talent as production ramps up. If you are a world-class developer looking to join the talented Thief 4 team, visit www.eidosmontreal.com to submit your résumé or www.thief4.com to join the community discussion.
Not, it's not an RPG but we've historically covered the Thief series.
More information.

That press release, while optimistic, doesn't read like PR-speak garbage, maybe because the Thief games really were AAA in the best sense.

Too bad they're only looking for world-class developers and not cut-rate hacks. Why not mix it up a bit like the competition?
:(

I am cautiously hopeful ... but anticipating that at best we'll get a FO3 style experience, decent game but mired in flaws and completely irrelevant to the originals ... maybe even with a total non-stealth gameplay style and nuclear arrows ...

... with those thoughts I am hopeful there is only upside ;)

Only played Thief Deadly Shadows. Only bought it to experience the Shalebridge Cradle mission but the whole game was better than I expected.
Thief 4 could be worth keeping a tab on.

Damn, I work for the wrong Eidos studio it seems ;) Those are two of the coolest franchises ever!

Fantastic! Fond memories of the thief games, I'm thoroughly looking forward to a new release.

Interesting!

I spent a good part of my life working on Thief 3.

I thought we did a pretty good job, but we could have done better in many ways.

In any case, I hope this studio keeps Eidos happy with their Thief product. More importantly, I hope it ends up being a quality title and a big hit with old and new fans of the franchise.

I spent a good part of my life working on Thief 3.

I thought we did a pretty good job, but we could have done better in many ways.

In any case, I hope this studio keeps Eidos happy with their Thief product. More importantly, I hope it ends up being a quality title and a big hit with old and new fans of the franchise.

I have to agree, you did pretty good.

It was hardly your fault that you had to restrict yourselves to Xbox hardware, and that's really the only issue I had with it. The memory restriction meant small levels, and considering that - I think you handled the game a LOT better than they did with Deus Ex: IW.

The idea of a main town (hub structure) was great - but unfortunately it felt somewhat off because of the tiny areas - but even so, it worked OK, which I really didn't expect after IW.

Anyway, respect from this person and let's hope Thief 4 will suffer no such issues.

Last edited:
I remember thoroughly enjoying thief 3, of all the games the only one I found frustrating was the first one because of all those stupid zombies.

Thief 4? very interesting, I only played the first one but it was a great game.

I don't know to be happy or to fear the fact that creators of AAA title are working on it. I think everyone here knows why.

My heart actually skipped a beat when I read this news. Thief: Deadly Shadows is quite probably the best game I've ever played in my life.

I just pray and pray they implement the third person option from Deadly Shadows into this new game.

Because I've never been able to play the first two games in the series because the first person view makes me seasick.

I liked all 3 games and they are some of the few non-rpgs I will play and I hope they expand some of the elements they introduced in 3. The open city stucture was good but I would have liked much more freedom and independant thievery. Normally putting in more inpepndant thievery wouldn't work so well since you don't have anything to use the extra money on so they could add in rpg elements like paying to train you thieving skills up. I think this would work in this game since there is a good chance there will be a new main character which could be a novice thief so needs training to become a better thief through the game.

Wouldn't it become too much like Assins Creed then? athough AC is based on thief :p

Yey! I hope they get it right, Thief series always managed to combine Great Story with Great Gameplay, get either of those wrong and it won't be in the same league as the first 3 (some would say 2) games. Keeping the mission introduction format is key I think. Great quotes highlighed by great suspenseful sound effects, followed by art shots rolling across the screen as Garrett describes the goal and the setting of next mission.

"Before death came... the liars were made to feast upon the hands of the thieves, and the thieves were made to ingest the tongues of their liar brothers, and we praised the Master Builder for his judgements." -The Hammer Book of Tenets.

Assassin's Creed isn't really the same as thief in gameplay and if Assassin's Creed was inspired by the Thief series then it is a drastically dumbed down system with little resemblance to Thief.

The thief games are closer to being a realistic thieving system and you can't just go out and kill people through normal melee combat like you can in Assassin's Creed. (you would most likely die even against one enemy)

true, but how many other thieving games do you know except those 2?
and I didn't say the same, but based on ;)

Back
Top Bottom