The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I coulda swore I put this up, but I've gone back 15 pages and didn't see it. Very pretty, very dreamy, and I actually listened to the lyrics for some strange reason and it appears to be a love song. Add in that the two singers got married a while after the cd was released (pretty sure about that) and it gets downright sugary.

"Distant Creatures" by The Daysleepers

I'm listening to the beat of my heart.. ^_^

just to say something! LOL

Actually, that one worked better. Still not something I'll run out and buy, but the stuff I like has more in common with industrial goth than it does with death metal. You know how German lyrics drive me nuts, though. ;)

I actually sought this tune out on my MP3 player earlier today. This version is a little unusual, but the unusual is actually kinda cool, too. Seems like a fair response.
"Slept So Long"

Oh, I liked that… Jon Davis is great :)! But for some reason it reminded me of this song (once again German, but…):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzST8ZPjy6Y
I've seen this guy twice this year, and he has an amazing stage presence.

And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rWG5jFTtAo&feature=related
This might be more your thing. Funny thing is, this guy is one of the most, erm, 'normal' looking singers I've seen lately, and he goes absolutely nuts on stage. Besides, live his stuff sounds rather… epic.

Last edited:
At last, Devin Townsend released his second album this year.
It´s heavy, crushing and … poppy!
Also, it´s his most entertaining since Accelerated Evolution (2003).
Starts with two fairly brutal tracks and then dives into various flavors of heavy pop waters and stays there till the end.
Everything typical for Townsend is there - dense arrangements, crushing guitars, clean and harsh vocals, etc. Compared to the most of his others, songs are generally shorter, contain more melodic hooks, some incredible "operatic" vocal parts and, probably most importantly, prominent use of one and only Anneke van Giersbergen´s cute voice.
Album is very diverse within the above mentioned mantinels and as a whole has just about perfect flow.
I´m a big fan of the dude so I may be a bit, eh, biased, but … it´s album of the year! Highly recommended to all rock fans here.

Devin Townsend - Addicted (2009)

Supercrush! (features this year´s most epic chorus)
Hyperdrive! (very airy song with female vocals only)
Ih-Ah! (by far the album´s most cheesy song, works marvellously within the context)
Awake! (rather unusual album´s epic closer nicely summarizing album´s diverse nature)

As a bonus:
Devin Townsend Unleashed - a part of Townsend´s guitar tutorials, first three minutes are quite usual guitar playing but then the guy goes absolutely nuts and it´s very very funny.

Last edited:
"Anywhere Is" by one Enya.

Ahhh, finally. Another Knorkator fan :harl:.

Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland

Underwhelming in comparison with their previous brilliant Nothing Lasts… But Nothing Is Lost, as a background music works well. Exquisite sound and arrangements, compositionally rather pedestrian psytronix.

My favorite cuts:

Nothing Is Something Worth Doing
I Am You

Ah yes, but Knorkator's lyrics are *funny*. Really funny. And kinda gross at the same time :p. My favorite Knorkator song is about a man with teeth in his butt who ate by sitting on a plate...

Knorkator ? The group that managed to stun the whole audience with their song "Ich glaub' ich werd' ein Schwein" as a possible (yet-to-be-elected) German entry for the Eurovisions song contest ? ;)
I very well remember them trashing their equipment on the stage, it reminded me of what I had heard about The Who. ;)

The "Schwein" song was of the mediocre sort IMO, so I was a bit disappointed back then... but at least their stage outfits were great.

Yes, their stage outfits were great, then. :D

I also like the titles of their CDs. ;)

Really digging a bunch of stuff from a jazz trio called 'The Bad Plus'

Back
Top Bottom