Diablo 3 - Monk Spotlight

Nothing in that trailer makes me want to play the game. Just like the other classes, the combat looks awful; too fast and flickering while overburdened with corny visual effects.

Pretty much agree with Smiley on this one. They really better have a way to turn off all those gawd-awful annoying effects, or my money will be headed elsewhere.

-Carn

Meh my biggest problem with blizzard IPs has been that as they become more ridiculous and goofy they seem to present themselves as being more serious and substantive in a weird proportional relationship. The narration of that video compared to the somewhat goofy nature of the content is a good example. Of course, the Mists of Pandaria trailer will likely be the best example of this for some time to come, so this doesn't quite rise to that level of incongruity.

Monk has always been the most intriguing class for me in D3. The combat effects are indeed a bit over the top, but perhaps that will add to the fun factor. In contrast, I am repeatedly annoyed in other games when graphic and (more often) sound effects are seemingly handled by interns.

Wha...? Are folks in this thread saying that over-the-top combat turns them off? If so, please move along and consider the Diablo franchise not to your liking. Seriously. Doods. Really. Other than the Warhammer universe, I can't think of another franchise that thrives on the idea of over-the-top combat as a core design element. If your distaste is with how early on you can achieve obscene levels of mayhem in D3, I sympathize. However, if your problem is with the concept that ridiculous amounts of ridiculous violence occurs in the game in general, then the Diablo franchise is just not for you, period.

Now, on to more interesting questions: is anyone else puzzled by why soundtrack from D2 is used for the intro section of the video rather than new music?

Now, on to more interesting questions: is anyone else puzzled by why soundtrack from D2 is used for the intro section of the video rather than new music?

Prove it

You guys made me watch this video, for which I was not interested in the least.

Unfortunately this made me think D3 is not gonna be too enjoyable.

too fast
flashy effects covering disconnected attacks
animations are not that great
but most of all, what is that voice? forget about the monks voice, this narrator is a huge turn off.

Pathofexile looks better by the minute, and I don't see anything matching it so far.
Maybe I'm setting myself up for a surprise, god help.

Wha…? Are folks in this thread saying that over-the-top combat turns them off?
Not the fact that it's over-the-top. But the fast, flickering pace and the overblown visual effects does. Such visual effects are like the "bang! pow! kazopp!" blurbs in the old Batman TV-series; cheap.

A similar sense of impact and violence would be much harder to achieve without all the fireworks. Similarly, the blinding speed hides what's actually going on. Convincing moves that would hold up to scrutiny at a slower pace is harder to pull off.

I wish for slower paced, more nuanced over-the-top combat.

Not the fact that it's over-the-top. But the fast, flickering pace and the overblown visual effects does. Such visual effects are like the "bang! pow! kazopp!" blurbs in the old Batman TV-series; cheap.

You do realize that this is a marketing video with plenty of video cut-ups and flashing added? The gameplay is not as chaotic as the video presents it to be. You do get overwhelmend a lot, but you don't go through mobs at the rate these videos show it. For effect purposes the heroes battling are way overpowered so that everything dies in one shot and they mow through mobs at ease. It will be nowhere near-as easy in the final game.

And as Path of Exile goes, I'd disagree on any part of it. Diablo 3 is better designed and just an all-round better game. There's no doubt about it. The ammount of time that Diablo 3 spent in development it's no wonder. And it's polished to high-heavens. As anyone playing the beta will no doubt confirm.

Last edited:
Diablo 3 is not for people who don't enjoy ridiculous over-the-top combat, sorry.

And as Path of Exile goes, I'd disagree on any part of it. Diablo 3 is better designed and just an all-round better game. There's no doubt about it. The ammount of time that Diablo 3 spent in development it's no wonder. And it's polished to high-heavens. As anyone playing the beta will no doubt confirm.

I believe part of the reason it took so long to develop was because Blizzard North's efforts were deemed "unsatisfactory", which lead to the sacking of the entire Blizzard North studio (well ... the people who hadn't already walked anyway.) So, I suspect that not only did Blizzard go back to the drawing board after that but they did it with a bunch of people who had no prior experience in the Diablo world.

I just re-installed Diablo II to gear up for Diablo III.

There are still a lot of people playing that dinosaur of a game. Blizzard ain't worried about people who don't like the gameplay in the Diablo series.

There will be a few million people on Battle.net May 15th.

Hardcore mode was hard enough in Hell before Runewords were introduced in D2.

I can't wait to be nervous playing Inferno mode in Hardcore in D3.

And it's polished to high-heavens. As anyone playing the beta will no doubt confirm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UXoE9m_eI

Yeah I know that was a long time ago, just thought it was kind of funny. The more recent glitches are less glaring - like being able to attack through walls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgm9hPowk7A

And some odd class or mechanics specific ones like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=971PyTZ19t8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkvyQs7bHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHkW8zjaSvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4eesYY9X68

But yeah, those really just show that they're not delaying a finished product for the sake of an optimal launch window - they're actually still fixing a few things. Still - a lot better than 7 months ago.

Last edited:
Non show stopping bugs will always occur in every thoroughly tested and developed product. This should never stop a release from happening in a reasonable time frame. Blizzard showed a will to move towards release with cutting some of the parts of the game as it will be released and add them later through patched (PVP and that profession).

We will see what happens. Path of Exile is a very enjoyable hack and slash game but is more on par with Diablo 2 (but on steroids) than it will be with Diablo 3 (imho).

Back
Top Bottom