The Shadow Sun - Preview Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here are three preview for Ossian Studios iOS RPG The Shadow Sun.

SlideToPlay

We first heard about The Shadow Sun back in 2010, so it’s been a long time coming. But when you start playing the finished game, which hits the App Store December 19, you immediately see where all that time and effort went. The Shadow Sun is an ambitious action-RPG, like Aralon or Ravensword: Shadowlands, that takes place in an intriguing new fantasy world.
RPGFan

Thus far, The Shadow Sun is proving to be a solid iOS RPG. The gameplay is fun, the atmosphere is distinct, and the storyline holds promise. The Shadow Sun should be available in the App Store later this month and there is no word yet as to any possible PC or console versions.
GearDiary

The Shadow Sun is a third person 3D story-based action RPG in an all-new fantasy setting. You choose a gender, appearance, attributes and skills and are off on your adventure.

You are not playing strict D&D class archetypes, but you can shape your character into standard classes based on skill choices. For example, the skill tabs contain items for warrior, mage, rogue, and general skills. So by focusing on high intelligence and choosing magic skills you will shape a mage.

The only concern I had playing was about the graphics – while they might have been cutting edge on the iPad in 2010, in 2013 they are not. While this isn’t a huge concern for me, for some iOS gamers it could be a big issue.
More information.

Ah, another IOS action RPG.
Yes but it may be the first one I'm actually interested in. It's made by a studio I trust, and I really don't get the hate for all iOS RPGs on this site.:(

Update- Or the so called justified disinterest Dart.;)

Last edited:
Yes but it may be the first one I'm actually interested in. It's made by a studio I trust, and I really don't get the hate for all iOS RPGs on this site.:(

There is a general disdain for Apple and the people who use their products by many members on this site, but that is something I have spent too much energy and time on through the years ...

As for this game, it is not your typical 'phonegame' as constantly reviled by certain members.

Instead of whining about how people don't share your passion for mostly trivial games, how about providing a review of this masterpiece? I'm curious ;)

Instead of whining about how people don't share your passion for mostly trivial games, how about providing a review of this masterpiece? I'm curious ;)

hehe I was referring more to the political-party style bashing given Apple products in general rather than specific hardware or games ... :)

As for the review, the release date is the 19th and that is also the embargo date for reviews, so you won't see any before then.

But I think that based on our previous discussion, simply calling it the best RPG to hit the iPad provides extremely little context for what it is REALLY like (i.e. very low bar).

hehe I was referring more to the political-party style bashing given Apple products in general rather than specific hardware or games … :)

As for the review, the release date is the 19th and that is also the embargo date for reviews, so you won't see any before then.

But I think that based on our previous discussion, simply calling it the best RPG to hit the iPad provides extremely little context for what it is REALLY like (i.e. very low bar).

Well, there have been some decent iPad RPGs out - but they've all been available for PC as well. KotOR is one of the better examples, for instance.

I'm trying to avoid impulse buying this one - so any feedback upon the lifting of the embargo would be appreciated :)

There is a general disdain for Apple and the people who use their products by many members on this site, but that is something I have spent too much energy and time on through the years …

As for this game, it is not your typical 'phonegame' as constantly reviled by certain members.

I like Apple devices and have both an iphone and ipad. I just don't think they make very good gaming platforms for games with any depth and I don't tend to want to play RPGs when I'm at the dentist.

I have an iPhone only.

And the problem is not iPhone as a device. It's a nice smartphone and does the job of being a smartphone good.

The problem is the excessive amount of frauds on it! When did ppl lose a common sense and are tossing the cash into obvious scams just because "grab the money and run" malware is catalogued mostly in games section of AppStore?

The problem is the excessive amount of frauds on it! When did ppl lose a common sense and are tossing the cash into obvious scams just because "grab the money and run" malware is catalogued mostly in games section of AppStore?

All you have to do is look at the recently released 'top of 2013' data ... the freemium 'Candy Crush Saga' was the highest revenue generator. And it ALL comes from in-ap purchases.

Millions upon millions of people like 'time wasters', and will simply not pay money for games on their phone/tablet. That more than the technical / control limits of the device is what limits what we play.

I mean, we have been round and round on this, and there are certain platforms / control schemes that excel at certain game types. I am definitely a keyboard & mouse guy, but there are some games that work really well with controller, and I find the 'hidden object puzzle adventure' types play best on a large touch screen.

I cannot see a FPS EVEN playing better on a touch screen, but then I have to ask if I am willing to accept the compromise to play games on the tablet. Generally I am, but I do not pretend it is a superior experience or platform.

I have an iPhone only.

And the problem is not iPhone as a device. It's a nice smartphone and does the job of being a smartphone good.

What the hell does this have to do with this game? Oh right nothing.

I look forward to the review :)

Back
Top Bottom