Planet Stronghold - How to not be Mass Effect

rk47

Ma..majestic!
:lol:

I can't believe this guise.
But read on, and discover my latest sins.

You know the feeling when you're staring at something like this when you just opened the game?

Planet%20Stronghold%202012-04-05%2013-41-34-04.jpg

Yeah, baby, grind your butt to my crotch.

What the shit is this? It all started from a joke in RPGCodex forum. I thought, 'Hey, this is a pretty Derp game, trying to rip off Mass Effect fanbase with some kinda visual novel engine.' (This is using Katawa Shoujo's Engine Renpy, BTW)

The plot is full of cliche. The characters remind me of Sunday Morning Cartoon specials. But ever since I got this game, I can't help but feel EXTREMELY sad. It's just impossible. But somehow, this game is more RPG than Mass Effect can ever hope to be.

Click on their website and you'll be assaulted with so much *:WHAT: you probably laugh till your eyesockets turn dry and you can't help but share the laughs with others, pointing fingers and calling this game what it is…some kinda of ….weaboo infested corner of the internet.

01.jpg

Fuck EA origins, we have the site of the year

But play a little longer…and something clicks together.

08.jpg

Turn based combat goodness. Dmg resistance, skills both combat and non combat.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Halp, too many numbers where's mah awesome button

And the skills do apply - giving choices pre-combat. Whether to negotiate, use explosives, or repairs to find ways to overcome challenges. It all works together, y'see!

03.jpg

05.jpg

Time limit quests - no HP regens and Choices & Consequences with variable endings.
Also, homosexual and lesbian romances. 1 each per gender. Take that Bioware. And best of all, no Origins.

So what are you waiting for? I'm a fanboy now. *:why_so_serious:

ROTFL, I'd probably completely ignore this, but after that well written presentation I'm checking the demo out if nothing to get some laugh. 20€ for a full game... Hmmm, we'll c.

I played through the demo, it's a decent game, I might give it a try if it were cheaper. It's not exactly the deepest game though, both combat and character development are really pretty simplistic even by JRPG standards, and the story/dialog is pretty juvenile. It does win points for the complete lack of random encounters though. And playing on hard it was at least mildly challenging, although I never came close to needing to reload or anything like that.

Last edited:
Liked it enough to buy it. I'm certainly more entertained than running around in the citadel doing fedexes and pressing space bars to advance my red bar.

$79.90 vs $25.00
i think it's a good buy for me.

In the end I've bought it too. By the looks of it, it should be cheaper, but it's so fun that I can't but support the developers. I'm not even sure why that game attracted me that much. Oh wait… I know…

NO MOB RESPAWNS!!!

I'd give 100$ for such RPG any day.

For those that just can't live without grinding, and also if you want to grab more XP you may repeat with any party member, 1 on 1 of course, a pretty hard duel vs rebel leader later in the game. It's possible there are more such repeatable fights that are completely optional, you have to talk to the leader to initiate a duel - it's not like mobs appear on a location from a thin air every few seconds or as soon as you reenter the place.
When I say it's pretty hard, that means when it becomes available, your party members will have about 60-70 health each and the leader starts the fight with a 50 damage skillshot. Can't wait to see how will fadedc pass this without reloading. :)

And for those who'll play the game… A hint on getting rebel leader to like you 100%…
Since you can't get it by just talking and winning all "arena" challenges, you can just repeat dueling him with your leading character. I needed to repeat the duel only twice since I managed to pass all previous fights without loss.

rk47, thanks for pointing to this game.

Last edited:
What about the other fantasy game mentioned in that thread, did you ever give that one a try? It looks pretty juvenile too of course, but the combat screen looked kind of interesting.

I didn't discover it, credit belong to this thread.

What about the other fantasy game mentioned in that thread, did you ever give that one a try? It looks pretty juvenile too of course, but the combat screen looked kind of interesting.

Loren the Amazon Princess? That game is still in very much beta stage.
Here is the forum link.

If you want, you can try the beta/demo and see for yourself. Keep in mind that its still in the beta and that each version can change drastically how things look.
Example of the current combat screen, looked different than few versions ago (thankfully it looks way better now). And it looks like its going to change even more.
http://www.winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2361

Finished Planet Stronghold… Well… Took me less hours than Mass Turd 3… Or Turd Effect 3, you pick the appropriate name… :)
But it was fun. Honestly, more fun than with ME3.
Can't believe myself I'm saying that I'll replay it in a few days just to pick another class and to side with the king. Does this mean I went nuts for some reason?

That also means I'm definetly buying that Amazon Princess game as soon as it's out.
I wonder why in that game's description it doesn't say, after numbering things inside:
- All of this, brains & boobs too, and most important: no EA

He ain't crazy. He's in love.

Never played in ME3 as it was too retardo to even steal it, but bought this one, the guide included I can PM it to RK47 if he needs it. First RPG played since Drakensang 2. Best and only RPG of 2012 so far.

That's a silly thing to say. This year has had Legend of Grimrock and Avernum so far. Plus, Risen 2 is coming soon. 2012 is a good year for RPGs already.

That's a silly thing to say. This year has had Legend of Grimrock and Avernum so far. Plus, Risen 2 is coming soon. 2012 is a good year for RPGs already.

I agree. Risen 2/Game of Thrones/ Dark Eye - Demonicon looks like the rpg's I'm interested so far. I don't see any others yet that interest me. Were entering summer and its always slow for new releases.

You're interested into Game of Thrones?
Can't wait your comments on it as I expect it to be a moneymilking disaster. :D

You're interested into Game of Thrones?
Can't wait your comments on it as I expect it to be a moneymilking disaster. :D

I'm interested in it. I didn't say it would be a great game. For all I know it could be the next Dungeon Lords. I'll wait for a steam or amazon sale first.

Last edited:
None of the games mentioned are as emotionally engaging and as narrative driven as Planet Stronghold. Grimrock is fun, sure, but are you emotionally invested in the characters? Does the narrative include hard moral choices that makes you lie awake at night pondering if you made the right decision? I thought not. Does Avernum require you to think like a spartan and fight like a general? Again the answer is no.

The undisputed deep and rich word of Planet Stronghold with its colourful characters and tough visceral battles clearly is superior to any other game out there at the moment.

Hmm…well I certainly wasn't remotely emotionally invested to any of the characters in the demo. Maybe the writing gets better in the full game? I thought the demo was decent, but it was only the combat that I liked. The actual writing/dialog in the demo was pretty juvenile, kind of reminded me of playing a Saturday morning cartoon. But again, maybe it gets better in the full game.

Also as much as I liked the combat in the demo, I wouldn't remotely call it tough and visceral. Playing on hard I never came close to losing, and it mostly consisted of hitting attack over and over until the enemy was dead. Does it get much harder later on? It was fun, but it didn't seem like it had that much depth to it.

None of the games mentioned are as emotionally engaging and as narrative driven as Planet Stronghold. Grimrock is fun, sure, but are you emotionally invested in the characters? Does the narrative include hard moral choices that makes you lie awake at night pondering if you made the right decision? I thought not. Does Avernum require you to think like a spartan and fight like a general? Again the answer is no.

The undisputed deep and rich word of Planet Stronghold with its colourful characters and tough visceral battles clearly is superior to any other game out there at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom