What are you reading?

Still reading the Vorkosigan saga. I've managed to work my way through all but the last few of the 20 novels/novellas. The later books are becoming less space opera, and more about the growth of the characters. Still great, though.

Last edited:
Another good space opera:

Alatair Reynolds - Revelation Space

Just finished the first Hunger Games and am on the second one. Its decent but by no means as awesome as the masses made it sound.

I just finished Bioshock: Rapture - being the first novel I've read in its entirety for something like a decade.

Not because it was that good, but because things came together and it was just the one I had handy.

It was not bad, though - and it did add a lot of nice backstory to the game. The story, of course, being the best part of Bioshock - or should I say the premise.

That said, it was pretty obvious that some of the characters and their actions were rather forced - to match what happens in the game.

But if you like the premise of the game, I think it's definitely worth a read.

Just finished Tigana, by Guy Gavriel kay, one of my favorite authors. I'd recommend it to any interested in complex, psychological fantasy.

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. A little long, but overall I was pleased.

There were a couple of things that bothered me though. First, how unbelievable is it that nobody would have considered that something bad could happen were Kennedy saved? I know libs like King love to idolize Kennedy, but surely even they are smart enough to weigh the consequences. Preventing Vietnam (as though that would have) does not mean another horrific military conflict couldn't occur. That said, the future King described was fun to read about and heaven forbid something like that come to fruition. And the other is the sappy parts when he was teaching in Texas. I understand times were different then, but the whole Lindy Hop thing annoyed me with the corniness, which I don't think was intentional by the author.

Last edited:
Hammered by Kevin Hearne. Sort of like Jim Butcher but better imo

Finished the second "Tinkerfarm" book without knowing the first one.

Nice book. But - are they all so dark in the end ?

Various Planescape setting and source books for the upcoming Planescape campaign I'm running.

Does manga count? I'm reading Slam Dunk by Inoue Takehiko. Love it. I've read it about 20 years ago and I still love it. Some episode still makes me cry.

G'day,
had a chance to do some reading as had 3 weeks vacation. Highligts were re-reading Michael Swanwick Stations of the Tide, and also new book by Nick Harkaway - Angelmaker. Both amazing!

Whoot! I just found out that a lot of sagas and series have been expanded upon while I wasn't paying attention. Here's what's been piling up (= want to read) :

Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders):
- Tawny Man Trilogy
- Rain Wilds Trilogy

Raymond Feist (Riftwar Cycle)
- Conclave of Shadows
- Darkwar Saga
- The Demonwar saga
- The Chaoswar Saga

Terry Goodkind (The Sword of Truth)
- The Sword of Truth #6 - #11

Star Trek novels
- read almost every book about 15 years ago (only TOS and TNG back then), now I'm sort of lagging behind by a couple hundred books

Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game universe)
- Ender's Exile

I also want to read:
- Modesitts Saga of Recluce (already finished the first two volumes)
- Brandon Sanderson's works (The Way of Kings; Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians), as he's become one of my favorite authors
- Iain M. Banks' The Culture saga (Consider Phlebas) and
- Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series (Red Mars) after recommendations in this thread
- Frank Herbert's WorShip saga (Into the Void), because I loved his Dune books
- H.P. Lovecraft's stories
- Barry Hughart's Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox book 2 and 3, as I like the classic Chinese culture and enjoyed The Bridge of Birds a lot

Just need to hammer this into myself: "Only one book at a time." :)

Going to start with Red Mars. I'm finishing up an Enterprise novel — those books are rather short compared to the huge fantasy sagas I'm used to, so it shouldn't take too long.

Angbar Mortis, a criminal novel about Angbar, a town in Aventuria (and capital of the "district" in which both Drakensang games take place). Protagonist is a magician from the island of Maraskan, who behaves himself rather like some sort of Aventurian Rincewind - simply because he stems from a completely different culture than most of Aventuria has … This is the second book of a trilogy; the first one was "Riva Mortis"; the title of the third is unknown yet, but it will have the "mortis" as well.

Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders):
- Tawny Man Trilogy

AWESOME trilogy. One of my all-time favorites.
Make sure to have read the trilogy before, the Farseer trilogy.

Raymond Feist (Riftwar Cycle)
- Conclave of Shadows
- Darkwar Saga
- The Demonwar saga
- The Chaoswar Saga

These are in my backlog too. I am planning a full re-read of Feist's entire series once I get done with my current book.

Terry Goodkind (The Sword of Truth)
- The Sword of Truth #6 - #11

Currently on #11. But I am kind of dragging myself through.

Not a big fan of Goodkind, but I am forcing myself to finish the series. I got a bit too enthusiast and bought the first 6 books before I read a single letter... Rued it since. I got the rest of the series too because I'm a completionist, and I can't have half a series sitting on my shelf.
But anyway, his moral whining gets so old near the end, and his books are just such generic fantasy, full of cliches... The only real thing that redeems the story is the inclusion of the Mord-Sith. :)

Finished Red Mars. I couldn't sleep last night and read the second half all the way through to the end, when the birds outside told me it was 6:00 AM. Couldn't stop. Awesome book. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I love stories that go through several generations (Dune!) and am curious as to how everything plays out in Green Mars and Blue Mars. I'm going to switch to something different in the meanwhile, though.

AWESOME trilogy. One of my all-time favorites.
Make sure to have read the trilogy before, the Farseer trilogy.
Yup, did that way back. Don't remember a thing, except for there being [spoilers] at the end. Read summaries of the first three books on Wikipedia and it still didn't ring a bell. Well, I think I'm going to enjoy it anyway.

Not a big fan of Goodkind, but I am forcing myself to finish the series. I got a bit too enthusiast and bought the first 6 books before I read a single letter…
D'oh. ;) I've never read a fantay book/series before TSoT that reminded me so much of cringeworthy soap operas. Yet I was strangely hooked.

I'm probably going to pick up Fool's Errand (Tawny man) next.

Arhu, if you liked Red Mars, you should like Green and Blue Mars. Great stuff!

I am reading through Connie Willis's "Blackout" and "All Clear". They are about time traveling historians that go to WWII England. Fantastic characterizations and reenactments of the evacuation at Dunkirk and the London Blitz. Highly recommended!

Back
Top Bottom