Mass Effect 3 - Paying For Extended Cut DLC?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I have to say this doesn't come as a surprise. GeekGamerz has a small article discussing that Bioware once considered making people pay for the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC.

“Probably shouldn’t say this; there was discussion if it should it be charged,” Priestly revealed at a recent PAX Australia panel “And Casey Hudson (executive producer) said ‘No, we can’t do that. We have to make this better. We can do a better job finishing the game, providing clarity, answering some questions.’ And it was very important to the team to end it as best as possible. ”

Priestly said that the BioWare team could have simply ignored feedback from players that it received from Mass Effect 3′s mysterious ending, but reassessing the situation along with the pleas from gamers around the world meant that the Extended Cut should be released as “it was the right thing to do” for everybody left confused by the endings.

“It would have been really easy for them to have hidden. To have put their heads down and said, “nope, we’re done. That’s it. DLC coming next month. They didn’t. And it’s hard; it’s really hard when you’ve put stuff in as a dev team for years making this game to have people say how bad it is. But they didn’t. They listened and they made the Extended Cut because it was the right thing to do and release it for free to the fans because again, it was the right thing to do.”
More information.

Considered charging for it - and didn't. So what? Are we supposed to fault them for considering all options?? Are people that desperate to hate them?

Considered charging for it - and didn't. So what? Are we supposed to fault them for considering all options?? Are people that desperate to hate them?
Hardly someone take a chill pill.;) This is a news story not my opinion all I said was I'm not surprised. I'm sure some watchers will love this story though.

I bought Mass Effect 3 on a Steam sale and I couldn't believe how much DLC there was for that game. There was easily $60 worth if you wanted the highlights and $100 if you were a completionist. I know Bioware makes solid whole games, but it is crazy jumping in to a $10 game with that much full-price DLC options. It didn't even seem to amount to an expansion at $100. That is changing times I guess, but it makes me long for products where the DLC is high-quality must-buy, not tempting the OCD part of you with in for a penny in for a pound kind of products.

Does anyone think Bioware gives good value for their actual paid DLC?

They have actually improved quite a bit in that regard. Their recent DLCs have been pretty decent, easily providing 5+ hours of high quality content each. We had a "Mass Effect DLC ranking" list going on around here at some point, probably related to an article in the news forum. It could be worth checking out if you intend to buy only some of the DLCs.

Note: The armor packs and appearance packs are generally not worth it. I'm talking about the DLCs with actual content.

DA2, ME2 and ME3 content DLCs have been pretty good, well the ones I tried (so all of ME2 and DA2). Legacy in DA2 and LotSB in ME2 are even better than the main games.

A bit of offtopic first…
The problem with ME series DLC is that in order to get them all you must buy so called Bioware points on Origin or on Bioware store. Those points are very expensive.

Bioware points is a virtual currency. All virtual currencies are above the laws, their only purpose it avoiding to pay country taxes. So far, it's not legally regulated thing and many are using it. Steam however is not using something like that, instead of such fraud system has a Steam wallet that works with real currencies only.

I've heard Bioware points were on sale once (a long time ago) for a short time, but never saw them on sale myself. More on the matter how EA/Bioware cons ppl:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061188018

Ontopic…
The whole problem with ME series original ending, in fact ME3 ending, was trying to copy psychological mystery brainmelter from cult anime series Evangelion. While in Evangelion it worked, and the reason were previous episodes that were preparing you for it, and while something like that may appeal to minority of ME fans, ME series is basically RPG for masses and you just can't go cult with it by forcing such type of ending to unprepared audience.

I've never seen the extended version, maybe never will. But the design of the original ending plain sucked. Such ending would work perfectly in PS:T. But in ME? Never. It's simply not compatible with the game.

The new ending was actually not bad. There are still bits and pieces that make no sense, but it's still a vast improvement compared to the old ending.

Their DLC are sometimes worth it, but often subpar. There seems to be entirely too much of it though. I'm not going to play a Bioware game on release with so much DLC coming. I rather wait and get the good ones(and the game for cheaper)

Still waiting for a GOTY edition for the trilogy with all of the DLC on disc.

Still haven't gotten the last ME3 DLC, Citadel. Biower promised me free bioware points as compensation when their servers broke my Mass Effect 3 account. Never happened. Game support and forum posters are all alike. Liars each and everyone of them. ;)

Still waiting for a GOTY edition for the trilogy with all of the DLC on disc.

Sadly, I don't think that will come. It's very frustrating. Even the relatively new "Mass Effect Trilogy" with all three games in a bundle didn't come with any of the DLCs for ME2 or 3 as far as I know. The DLCs are still only sold seperately as far as I know.

Sadly, I don't think that will come. It's very frustrating. Even the relatively new "Mass Effect Trilogy" with all three games in a bundle didn't come with any of the DLCs for ME2 or 3 as far as I know. The DLCs are still only sold seperately as far as I know.

This is the reason why I haven't bought ME2 and ME3 yet. While I liked playing ME1 when it came out, I refuse to buy all that extra DLC just to get the full experience. Plus, since I am quite the completionist I kind of loathe that whole DLC scheme in general, and BioWare is one of the worst offenders in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom