GOG - Fallout Games Removed

I think at least part of the reason might stem from CD Projekt Red turning Witcher 3 into an open world game, potentially putting them in competition with TES. If that's the fear, the motivation for pulling the rights to sell the early Fallouts would seemingly stem from a desire to not directly fund their competition.

Ding, ding! This is a good thought, greywolf00. While Bethesda doesn't really compete with GoG, they do compete with CDPR.

Hm, yeah. Pretty obvious now that someone said it. ;)

Wouldnt that mean that it is CDP/GOG blocking Bethesda from selling their games on GOG, instead of the other direction?

Because I dont see how Bethesda has anything to gain by NOT selling their game on some platform, even if it is run by a competitor.

CDPR gains nothing by losing the Fallout titles really. Sure they cut off a bit of Bethesda funding but the games will be buyable on Steam, which I bet is the more popular platform. Bethesda is a huge company who I expect is financially very stable. I'm not a huge fan of their stuff but there's no denying FO 3, TES, and Dishonored sold/sell well so kicking them off of GOG will do little to nothing to hurt them. It's better for CDPR to get some money for selling them than no money for not, even if Bethesda makes some from it.

If the Fallout games are sold on GOG, CDPR makes some money on every copy sold. If they can only be bought on Steam, Valve makes some money. It's true that in both cases Bethesda makes money but, Valve isn't a direct competitor.

Considering how popular Steam is, I doubt Bethesda is really worried about losing out on some revenue at GOG, at least not compared to cutting off any funding to CDPR.

I would be interested to see the sales numbers, and at what price, of those games from both platforms though, just to get an idea of how much Bethesda might lose compared to how much CDPR could make.

I hope that Bethesda don't look at sales numbers only as many people prefer GoG, which is obvious from the tweets from the other thread.

Is Bethesda going to be the next Activision (i.e. totally ignore their customers)?

Back
Top Bottom