Lord of the Rings: The White Council - Project on hold ?!

I have yet to play a decent LotR RPG, which is a shame, as it certainly has great potential. I'd really like to see either a solid LotR or Wheel of Time RPG.

Like I said, just like Codex this site has gotten overwhelmingly negative.

So we're looking back on 2006, which looked to be a potentially historic year, and feeling a bit let down, voicing it, and we're the Codex? There is none of the vitriol, just some cynicism - which I think a company like EA (microtransactions and deliberate holdback of material has caused them to get slammed on console forums in a way that makes *anything* we say here look trivial) has earned.

Ultima 9 was released after Ultima Online. They cancelled both attempts at spinning off UO with UO2 and UOX as well unfortunately.

As for not wanting a LotR RPG, as someone said, that is odd because its the main inspiration of all RPGs back in the day. ( "I don't care what it says in LotR this is D&D" as it says in the NWN Preview parody)

well the thread topic isn't good news so its hard not to be negative. What's the statistic? Bad news gets repeated 11 times good news 5?

however, I'll be positive and say 2006 was a pretty good year for major RPG's IMO. Oblivion? NWN2? They rock. So does Space Rangers 2 and Seal of Evil (although the latter is kind of linear: the crafting system is incredible)

So we're looking back on 2006, which looked to be a potentially historic year, and feeling a bit let down, voicing it, and we're the Codex? There is none of the vitriol, just some cynicism - which I think a company like EA (microtransactions and deliberate holdback of material has caused them to get slammed on console forums in a way that makes *anything* we say here look trivial) has earned.
EA has certainly earned it. So have reviewers who don't read manuals. The tone of a forum is the sum of these little exchanges. None of them matters much on its own.

I'd really like to see ... a solid ... Wheel of Time RPG.

The problem with a WoT RPG is that the first two or three chapters would be great and then the game would start running more and more slowly until nothing was happening except that you were stuck at your PC waiting to see if anything eventually would happen and it would never end...

I would like a RPG set in Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser world.

BillSeurer - the clue is to make it in the same universe, just like D&D games, not follow the same plot. Nothing is worse than RPGs that are completely linear because they follow the plotline of the book/movie they're based on (lotr games anyone?).

Apparently EA isn't saying anything ... but it is becoming increasing clear that Steve Gray has left EA.

Gray’s involvement in the project was such that it was originally titled Project Gray Company when it was first unveiled to an eager press. Online reports at Shacknews say EA canned the project because it was not hitting development targets. Although Gray has reportedly gone, other team members have been moved onto different projects.

And just to follow-up:
The negative pattern here and at Codex is just plain tiresome. Repeat after me:
- Oblivion sux. Every news item on it needs to get trashed.
- Gothic 3 is amazing. Any reviewer who disagrees is a moron.
- Bethesda is at fault for all RPG shortcomings, global conflict and world hunger.
I would augment that based on my personal view:
- Oblivion is an amazing technical achievement and a great action game, but is highly over-rated and lacking as an RPG.
- Gothic 3 is a buggy mess and my 'disappointment of the year' by a large enough margin that 2nd place is irrelevant ... but it is much better than many who play for an hour before trashing it in a factually incorrect review recognize.
- Bethesda is simply the RPG representative of the general trend to move towards huge console and casual / action gaming audiences ... so as our hardcore wants continue to not be met while former hardcore properties become crossovers (i.e. Dark Messiah), we curse that trend ... and Bethesda gets hit with a lot of that because of Oblivion. A couple of years ago it would have been Deus Ex Invisible War. If Bioware - which has produced solid PC games while also doing console duty - falters this year, expect then to get a full colonoscopy with a +4 greatsword ...

Like I said, just like Codex this site has gotten overwhelmingly negative.

I was thinking of this when I saw a thread that referenced the "J.E. Sawyer & The Black Hound Mod" here ... and that thread devolved into hate and trash talk faster and deeper than we *ever* get here ... and that site is heavily frequented by journalists, developers and publishers!

I was thinking of this when I saw a thread that referenced the "J.E. Sawyer & The Black Hound Mod" here ... and that thread devolved into hate and trash talk faster and deeper than we *ever* get here ... and that site is heavily frequented by journalists, developers and publishers!

Mike the first few posts HERE on that topic were pretty negative. I read them and decided to bite my tongue and just move on. Thankfully it turned around later with a few of the regulars and mods saying some positive stuff. I just don't get how you could take a free BG3 mod in a negative light. I mean really - who cares if it takes 3, 4 or even 6 years? Just bring it on!!!! What the hell is there to be negative about???

I seriously think you're overreacting. Someone made a joke about vaporware and went on to note the increased adherence to the D&D ruleset. Being positive about all game news would just mean swallowing a lot of hype(-rbole).

Mike the first few posts HERE on that topic were pretty negative. I read them and decided to bite my tongue and just move on.

I have to agree that you are out on a 'negativity hunt' ... look again at that thread:
- first reply *laughingly* says vaporware - he was poking fun at a mod that is a few years away. Then he talks about the rule-set and ponders the adherence to strict 3.5 rules.
- the next reply is saying that given it is a few years away it will seem brand new when it releases since these discussions will be long since forgotten.
- the third is just fun - looks at the success/failure aspect: either Jefferson fails twice or is successfully resurrected. At this point nobody knows.
- next is me (it can only get better ;) )
- then there is speculation of the time aspect - having barely fiddled with the NWN2 tools, I can appreciate that!

So I just don't see *ANYTHING* approaching negativity. Sure there are threads where stuff gets negative - plenty of tough Oblivion talk, and I've certainly beat up on Dark Messiah more than once ... but I think overall I just don't see what you are saying. Especially about the Dot never getting like this ... this type of discussion - largely respectful, some 'teh hatez' and some 'teh fanboi' stuff - was certainly there. How could it not have been, it was mostly the same people!

Mike I'm old like you and I guess I'm just gettin crotchety. ;)

Hehe ... it happens to all of us. I actually think it is good to get 'reality checks' every now and then because of the feeding frenzy internet mentality ...

EA bought Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning so they dont need to develop their
own mmog anymore. I bet it was the reason for the cancelling.

After all their main business strategy is to consume outside games/companies while been extremely conservative and careful with their own development costs. Generally they try to avoid innovation because its too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom