Gothic 3 I am crashing all the time now

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
Patch 2, always the SmartHeap Library.
The memsave tool saves me most of the times but only when I save, not when I crash while playing.

It seems certain areas are more sensitive for me. Two of them is Vengard and the area around Faring+Gotha.

A teleport or quicksave here is almost guaranteed to crash in 50% of the cases.

I wouldnt say it's my computer that is limited. I have a 4800+ A64 dualcore, 2x7900GTX/512mb, 2gb 2-2-2-5 high quality ram and run the game on a 7200rpm SATA drive with 16mb cache.

Have you set the Ressource Cash to middle? I´ve heard that helps with the memory-bug. It might even be good to try to set it to low directly before you try to save.
This special bug occurs mainly on fast systems with a lot of ram, I don´t know why.

I changed it to medium now. I let you guys know if it improves anything.

Just crashed on medium setting, changed it to low. Will tell you if I still crash.

Set the Resource Cache and the Texture Details to middle.

Try not to save near overcrowded places or direct after a teleport.

I have not overclocked, but I run XFX cards that is overclocked out-of-the-box. I do not know how much I am supposed to "clock them down". I was coolbits junkie back around GeForce1, but now I have a rig that pretty much handles anything so I might be able to clock it down if I knew how much.

I ran through the G3 tweak guide. I had already done most of it but I found some new stuff. Maybe it helps.

Sounds like your having problems due to Distance settings and never set your cache to low, well imo. :)

Try everything on medium then if it still causes problems and crashes, then lower Detail Distance to low, since you said Vanguard its the Forcefield doing it I would bet.

The other killer is Texture detail but if you put that to Low it maybe a shock since it really looks worst than G2. :(
Object Detail is the Distance at which Items/Objects are drawn, iir.
Post Process I wouldn't turn it on past Bloom just to get rid of that Flashing White light.

Try disabling SLI and running one card as a test. I know some Crossfire folks have attributed instability to their dual setups. Have you verified your SLI? What does FRAPS say?

As an aside - probably the best suggestion is to put the game in the closet for 3-4 months.

Sounds like your having problems due to Distance settings and never set your cache to low, well imo. :)

Try everything on medium then if it still causes problems and crashes, then lower Detail Distance to low, since you said Vanguard its the Forcefield doing it I would bet.

The other killer is Texture detail but if you put that to Low it maybe a shock since it really looks worst than G2. :(
Object Detail is the Distance at which Items/Objects are drawn, iir.
Post Process I wouldn't turn it on past Bloom just to get rid of that Flashing White light.

There are alot of options here... what options exactly is "Detail Distance"?

Try disabling SLI and running one card as a test. I know some Crossfire folks have attributed instability to their dual setups. Have you verified your SLI? What does FRAPS say?

As an aside - probably the best suggestion is to put the game in the closet for 3-4 months.

Disabling SLI is pretty much a nono anyway. It drops my FPS with 40%.
I intend to finish the game in the next 3-4 days if I can. :)

For some reason the Eddie Murphy song "My Girl wants to party all the time" sprang into my head.

"my game keeps
crashing all the time!
crashing all the time!
crashing all the tiiimmmeee!"

I know that's weak but hey man, true story.

:D

I have reached the point where I cannot quicksave without a crash or quickload without a crash.

Inefficient powersupply?

Thing is, that my PSU is "only" 550 watt, and I ordered a 650 watt yesterday. Will probably be delivered tomorrow. I doubt that have anything to do with the memory problems though.

Distance Draws are the Top two, Detail Settings you will need to click on Custom, if the Medium Settings didn't work and Object Detail is the thrid from the top.
It will be understandable once you click on Custom, I am guessing. :)

Doesn't sound like a classic "memory leak" issue, sounds more like a hardware-one-of-your-ram-pieces-are-dead problem. Either that or a strange compatibility issue, or some weird bug that occurs if you have components A, B, C and D working in a special order.

Back
Top Bottom