Dragon Age - Sex and the Single Dragon Age Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruminous

Watcher
Demien Linn over at Bitmob has an article reviewing the relationship aspect of the game, including the same-sex option. Pics might be NSFW depending on where you work. Heavy spoilers throughout, so don't read if you prefer a little mystery to your romance.
What you learn about the characters, however, isn't so interesting -- all of your romantic prospects adhere to parochial stereotypes. Both females seem wildly different at first, but are ultimately only interested in monogamous relationships, while the gay male character prefers a no-strings-attached open relationship
More information.

David Gaider must really get a kick out of writing homosexual relationships.

In any case, I'm not going to buy this game. I don't consider being flirted or stalked by fags as entertainment in the slightest sense.

That was a little unnecessarily hostile.

Being pursued by homosexual men isn't my cup of tea either but since it's Bioware I'm sure it's a pretty ignorable part of the game that you have to "pursue" to even view that content. Remember how many conversations and how much flirting you had to do with Ashley to get her to open up to you in Mass Effect?

I highly doubt Bioware is going to thrust ( *cough*) the homosexual relationship stuff in your face. Likely they just added a character that if you keep talking to you can eventually flirt with to open it up that dialog tree. Skip that dialog option once and I doubt you'll ever see it again.

I think the lack of romance of any kind is just a sign of ... writers, developers, whatever, don't seeing the need for relationships.

To make it short, the lack of relationships in RPGs make them rather lok like an immature boy's dream: Adventures, but no need to be troubled by girls. "Bah ! Kisses !!!"

Personally, I'd say/guess, the more romances a game includes, the more mature it is, because only people of a certain span of ages feel attracted by the possibilities of having a "real" relationship - especially in a game, playing a role "as if".

Plus, romances in a game are more women.oriented, I guess (just a broad guess, nothing more), assuming that a game like Gothic 1 is the dream of any boy/man never really wanting to bother with women at all.

I guess that a game like Gothic 1, only with the sexes swapped in their roles there, would completely fail at male gamers, at least at the majority. I don't believe that the majority of male gamers could stand a society like in Gothic 1 only vice versa where EVERYTHING is being ruled by women - and men are the absolute minority ...

In any case, I'm not going to buy this game. I don't consider being flirted or stalked by fags as entertainment in the slightest sense.

I hope that's not the sole reason you aren't buying the game. You don't have to pursue any of the romances in the game, whether they be hetero- or homosexual.

Can my character be passive (translation: bottom)?

Methinks the homophobe doth protest too much...

And yes, as others have mentioned, the romances are optional. Don't like somebody, don't talk to 'em. It's like the people who complained about the gay Sky romance in Jade Empire. You had to HUNT for that romance. Anybody who ACCIDENTALLY ran into the gay Sky romance probably ACCIDENTALLY finds himself at truck stops late at night wearing assless chaps as well.

You had to HUNT for that romance.

Why did you have to HUNT for that romance to be able to trigger it? Was bioware afraid of making it (too) accessible to the average player? I've read that you had to be very insulting to the female party members to get romantic attention from Sky.

Why did you have to HUNT for that romance to be able to trigger it? Was bioware afraid of making it (too) accessible to the average player? I've read that you had to be very insulting to the female party members to get romantic attention from Sky.

I have no information on having to be insulting to anybody. But yes, the goal was to have it be there for people who looked for it, but incredibly unlikely for anyone to stumble over by accident. Given that most games don't have gay romances at all, for reasons like our cultured and intelligent Surlent up there, making it there but not shoved in your face was our attempt at walking a middle ground. (Caveat: I was not a writer on Jade. I arrived at BioWare afterward, so anything I say is secondhand at best.)

The complaint I heard about this specific romance is that you had to be an ass to females for Sky to notice your butt hence people hardy ever triggered his gay romance unless they knew about it, but never mind.

So we have another bio-writer here? :) Nice, we'd have 2 bio-writers if Gaider didn't run away after PJ's review of his book. He's touchy about his writing I guess.

Don't you think it would be.. nicer if Alistar was the gay romance instead of Zevran?

Not to be the undersexed forty-teen-year-old, but I say that if they're going to include this "relationship" component, then they ought to throw the covers back and just put it all out there. I mean, it isn't graphic enough to be "mature", and isn't significant enough to make it worthwhile (it seems to me). We're not here to see a Lifetime movie, after all. ;)

Methinks the homophobe doth protest too much…

And yes, as others have mentioned, the romances are optional. Don't like somebody, don't talk to 'em. It's like the people who complained about the gay Sky romance in Jade Empire. You had to HUNT for that romance. Anybody who ACCIDENTALLY ran into the gay Sky romance probably ACCIDENTALLY finds himself at truck stops late at night wearing assless chaps as well.

:lol: Along with a few visits to a proctologist after ACCIDENTALLY just tripping and falling onto it, I don't know how it happened.

Its a bit stereotypical still (clingy females and polygamous gays) but better than nothing I guess. Its good to see and bodes well for SWTOR. Glad to see finally games too step into 21st century and leave those Founding Father moralism behind. Games should not be ruled by bigotism. Good good.

I'm just glad Risen is out and is awesome.

FYI: Surlent has received a warning for his post.

Its a bit stereotypical still (clingy females and polygamous gays) but better than nothing I guess. Its good to see and bodes well for SWTOR. Glad to see finally games too step into 21st century and leave those Founding Father moralism behind. Games should not be ruled by bigotism. Good good.

By hyping terrible softcore sex scenes? I don't see anything progressive about that nor have I ever seen bigoted romances in any game I've played so far.

From what I've seen from past romances in games and from the trailers for this game, the ultimate goal of romance is to have sex which is a rather immature view of relationships.

Personally, I don't think romances should be in games at all, at least no attempt at "serious" relationships. Games are too short and can never accurately portray a budding romance.

The only way I could see a romance in a game is if it were already established and the characters were built around it. That would be something... Zoltar the Destroyer and his wife Barbara.

Why would you warn Surlent? He just stated an opinion. Unless you warned all of the gay approvers too. That would be okay, I guess. I mean if you're going to warn everyone who is heterosexual and dislikes homosexuality, you'll be warning half the male population of this website. To me, calling someone a homophobe is as demeaning as calling someone a faggot. Since you allowed homophobe then faggot/fags should be allowed as well. You can't pick which group to be intolerant to. Please let me know if RPGWatch is going to take a stance against people who dislike homosexuals, because I would have to leave too.

All that said, I really don't see a problem with having a gay character in the game, as long as he isn't hotly pursuing heterosexuals. Bioware wouldn't make such a character (unless as a caraciture) because the game would never be accepted by a publisher.

One last observation- the word homophobe is really silly. Heterosexual males do not fear "phobia" gays. I'm guessing the word was made up by someone who is homosexual so that they could feel superior. Homonauseated would be closer :)

You don't have to be insulting to the female party members. It is just that if you are playing as a male PC the romance with the woman (or women as it is possible to share some personal time together with both at the same time) will take precedence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom