Happy May Day everyone...

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
...which, in case you pig-dog capitalist running-dog scum weren't aware of it, is the international laborers' day. Here are some pictures from mine. ;)

2455909627_8fdf5f6987.jpg

The text says "For Workers' Self-determination And Democracy."

2456743854_3d638d8e0d.jpg

I'm not sure what this says (it's in Farsi, which neither I nor my wife Joanna speak), but the Finnish banner they were carrying said "Iranian Communist Party" and "Down With Islamic Government In Iran."

"As I was walking/that endless breadline,
My landlord gave me/a one week deadline,
And the Daily Worker/ran a better headline
Saying "This Land is not for you and me."
--Depression era rewrite of Woody Guthrie's This Land

Sorry--it needed music. :music::music:

I notice this Mayday event apparently has no flower-strewn pole with ladies in filmy dresses dancing around it, either...

LOL PJ, are the guys from the first photo suggest that you are desperately lacking those two in Finland? :)

This capital pig-dog will be sure to give the May Day celebrators in NYC the proper salute should I come across them! :D

Well, congrats för the weather.
1may.jpg

Temporary holdup after heavy rainfall.

LOL PJ, are the guys from the first photo suggest that you are desperately lacking those two in Finland? :)

Well, they were chanting "Liberty, Solidarity, Revolution!" so I guess so.

It's very unlikely we'll have a revolution here, though. The weather's too bad in the winter, and in the summer everyone's at their summer cabin.

Glad to see that the US isn't the only country to lazy to put on a good revolution!

umm lol? Today almost everyone here had the day off :p so.. yea :D I was with my family at a picnic! I just came home!

Protests, demonstrators... eh? You guys are all doing it wrong - over here, the 1st of May mostly means barbeques of varying sizes all over the country. Good stuff. ;)

I doubt 5% of the population here is aware that there is anything to celebrate beside the annual increasing of the minimum wage (now around 8.50$can/hour here in Quebec). Work day as usual.

Protests, demonstrators... eh? You guys are all doing it wrong - over here, the 1st of May mostly means barbeques of varying sizes all over the country. Good stuff. ;)

Actually, here it mostly means getting drunk out of your skull and doing things you'll regret for the rest of the year. I just didn't put any pictures of that here since this is, after all, the Politics and Religion thread.

But since you asked, here's what most of the folks were doing. We require, by law, that all drunk people wear a special hat for the day.

2456728380_9b62e07b9d.jpg

2456732948_9ed87a5d88.jpg

2455906357_bbfc8396af.jpg

To get back on topic, here's a couple of Religion-related ones: the evangelicals were out in force, playing Jesus-pop with a horn ensemble and spreading the Good News for the hung-over population of Helsinki:

2456740316_b64f97ba6d.jpg

2456742034_2dcf3ffe4f.jpg

The vest says "Gospel Riders Finland."

Looks more like 420 than 05/01 to me--too bad you guys are so far away. Hey--and there's a girl in a filmy dress after all. It's sort of Pope-inspired, but if you can have a big turquoise May Day penguin, what's one more fruit in the basket. :)

May day protests happened in Philippine, Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia - concerning welfare of workers, inflation, increased food prices, higher minimum wage, laborer rights, improving working and living conditions. Linky

May day is one of the days that show how small this town is. The big drum from the social democrat (they've been in power in this town since universal suffrage was introduced) demo woke me up around 10, and I thought I live some distance from the center:p

In many ways the may day demos become more interesting now that the social democrats arent in power themselves, but being on the other side I dont care much for the event in modern Sweden. They've after all more or less got a society built according to their specifications:p

I was in Turkey and didn't noticed anything over there. I heard that in the Netherlands it's not the first of May they celebrate, but the 30th of April. It has something to do with their royals if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah 30 years ago it was the birthday of the queen we had at the time. Our current queen has her birthday in februari. Too cold to do anything, so it was decided to keep this day once a year. It has nothing to do with the 1st of may though which we don't celebrate.
For me its just another free day :)

Back
Top Bottom