Dungeon Siege 3 - Interview @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Dungeon Siege 3 Project Director Rich Taylor chats with Eurogamer about the upcoming game:
Eurogamer: Comparisons with Diablo III are inevitable, but are they fair?
Rich Taylor: People will find they're two completely different games. With Dungeon Siege you're going to feel like you're playing an Obsidian RPG in terms of story. You're going to meet NPCs that have quests for you. You're going to have branching dialogues. You're going to have influence with your AI-controlled companions, similar to what we've seen in out other games. So you're going to see a lot of the Obsidian-style RPG mechanics present in Dungeon Siege. It's going to feel more like that.
So while we do have some similar mechanics to Diablo – we have the randomly generated loot – that's really about where the similarities stop. Outside of being a game where you can get a lot of loot and level up and kill monsters, they don't have a lot in common, and people will see that when the game comes out.
More information.

On the PC, though, players expect to be able to click and move their character around with the mouse and click on enemies. We'll certainly have it control that way. The interfaces will be mostly the same. The stat comparison available on the console will also be there on the PC. And of course the PC lends itself to higher-resolution textures and visual presentation that we're happy to take advantage of where we can.

With Dungeon Siege you're going to feel like you're playing an Obsidian RPG in terms of story. You're going to meet NPCs that have quests for you. You're going to have branching dialogues. You're going to have influence with your AI-controlled companions, similar to what we've seen in out other games. So you're going to see a lot of the Obsidian-style RPG mechanics present in Dungeon Siege. It's going to feel more like that.

Well, I am sold.

So while we do have some similar mechanics to Diablo – we have the randomly generated loot – that's really about where the similarities stop. Outside of being a game where you can get a lot of loot and level up and kill monsters, they don't have a lot in common, and people will see that when the game comes out.

The more I hear the game wont be a diablo clone the more I want the game.

I just finished playing DS 1 again. The last time I played was years ago and though I enjoyed it then I found myself wanting it to end as soon as possible this last time around.

I also played DS 2 and liked it better; better mechanics, magic, and definitely better quests, but like DS1, DS2 became tedious after awhile. Hack & Slash for me is too often a real snooze fest.

Ds 3 however appears to be a lot more with what looks like actual story with depth. Definitely on my watch list.

Back
Top Bottom