Lords of Xulima - Post-Funding Update #23

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Numantian Games provides a development update for Lords of Xulima talking about the alpha version, their forums, a stretch goal and a theme song.

We are currently working on the English Alpha version of Lords of Xulima. Once the Alpha is finished, and as soon as we can deliver a version worthy of your expectations, we will open the Numantian Games Forums! This will be a great place to ask questions related to Lords of Xulima and get to know each other. The forums will be open to everyone. We would love to have our long time supporters, along with anyone else that might be interested, to come join us as part of one big community!

The official forums will also include the Development Corner, which will be an exclusive section for Kickstarter backers who pledged for Beta Acess. We know many of you have been waiting for this, so we'll be sure to announce when they open through our newsletter!

We're also excited to share more with you about The Cursed Hounds. As some of you remember, it was a mini-stretch goal that we were able to unlock with your support at the $25,000 milestone.
And here is the new theme song:

More information.

I was wondering when Numantian Games would post another update. Thanks for the post Myrthos, and welcome back.:salute:

I'm disappointed by this news. LoX was originally supposed to be released this month. It's obvious that it still has a long way to go before it's finished.

Welcome back Myrthos!

There are other games coming out that will occupy my time, I can wait for this like I've waited (and still wait) for all the others. This month means Banner Saga, MMX, Blackguards. I expect to be busy.

I'm disappointed by this news. LoX was originally supposed to be released this month. It's obvious that it still has a long way to go before it's finished.

I've come to expect delays with every RPG. Their Kickstarter campaign in Nov. had February 2014 listed as the estimated release date, but they ended up reaching a few stretch goals, including one new area so I knew immediately that Feb. was unlikely. If they're planning to have an alpha soon then I'd guess that the full release will probably happen sometime this Summer. Delays are a drag, but it's far better that they take the time they need to do it right rather than rush out a buggy release.

And with Banner Saga out tomorrow, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Might & Magic X and Blackguards in a couple weeks, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence, and Dead State out in a couple of months.... And probably a few other more obscure RPGs I've backed on Kickstarter for that matter (e.g., Telepath Tactics). I know I'll be plenty busy with other games until LoX is released anyway.

Their Indiegogo.com campaign (which pre-dated the Kickstarter campaign) claimed January 2014.

I pretty much assume any crowd-funded project that raises more money than it asked for will not release on the originally-stated date. More money translates into more work -- whether adding content, iterating the design or crushing bugs -- and more work means more time. It's just that with crowd-funding they have to make that original date public even though they know that runaway success will lead to schedule growth.

I want to see evidence of three things. First, that progress is being made. Second, that it's being made fast enough that the developers won't run out of money before finishing the product. Third, that the progress is towards the promises made in the funding pitch. Given those, I'm willing to cut some slack on specific release dates.

Never expected a release in January. And even if they could do it, it probably would have been a bad decision. I'd actually welcome it if the game releases in the second half of this year so that it's not everything at once.

The music track is great. Can imagine that it'll feel like coming home. Very warm music.

May would be nice :)
(Just don't release simultaneously with DS2 please ;) )

I didn't back this but was looking forward to it and am also a bit disappointed.

The reasonable side of me says let them take all the time they need to release a polished game. My impatient side however says COME ON I'M NOT GETTING ANY YONGER, PEOPLE MY AGE DIE EVERYDAY AND I WANT TO PLAY THESE GAMES NOW!!!!!

Ok, maybe that was my childish irrational side.:)

Seriously though out of 7 kickstarters I backed the 4 that were supposed to release already have been pushed back and 1 of them is 6+ months and still not in alpha.

It does get a bit discouraging.

Expected this when they threw the KS together for stretch goals.

I really wish they would just get rid of expected release dates on crowd funded projects. Asking someone to pull a number out of thin air before even knowing what content they'll be able to put into a game before hand is just pure nonsense. Let them see their final funding number, and give a rough estimate then. Granted, more often then not they'll still be wrong but, I think the ballpark will be closer.

Expected this when they threw the KS together for stretch goals.

I really wish they would just get rid of expected release dates on crowd funded projects. Asking someone to pull a number out of thin air before even knowing what content they'll be able to put into a game before hand is just pure nonsense. Let them see their final funding number, and give a rough estimate then. Granted, more often then not they'll still be wrong but, I think the ballpark will be closer.
I agree with you as most of my backed Kickstarters are delayed. I foresee a few of them will be next year, and the year after also. I wont name the games.:p

Frankly it's getting to the point were stretch goals are not a good idea. All they do is extend development time, but they are necessary to get funded.

It's a catch 22 as they say.:)

One of my backed Kickstarters (Banner Saga) is unlocking at midnight tonight. So it does happen, eventually.

It's not like it's uncommon for the AAA games I'm anticipating to suffer delays as well. I'm looking at you, South Park, and you, Watch Dogs.

I agree with you as most of my backed Kickstarters are delayed. I foresee a few of them will be next year, and the year after also. I wont name the games.:p

Frankly it's getting to the point were stretch goals are not a good idea. All they do is extend development time, but they are necessary to get funded.

It's a catch 22 as they say.:)

It really is. I bet Massive Chalice's budget was impacted by the lack of stretch goals. There was little to no motivation for backers to pile on after it was funded. I'm sure all the projects have tons of features they'd love to implement in an ideal world too so asking them to settle for making a game less than their original vision has to be very hard for them too.

I think we just have to accept the chances of projects hitting their dates are more or less nonexistent, especially if they have stretch goals.

One of my backed Kickstarters (Banner Saga) is unlocking at midnight tonight. So it does happen, eventually.

It's not like it's uncommon for the AAA games I'm anticipating to suffer delays as well. I'm looking at you, South Park, and you, Watch Dogs.

So true. Release dates really should just be very flexible as you never know what will go wrong/need more work till you get it to. I'd rather have the best game possible with as few bugs as possible personally so I'm willing to give passes for missed dates.

I'm sure all the projects have tons of features they'd love to implement in an ideal world too so asking them to settle for making a game less than their original vision has to be very hard for them too.

I wonder what would happen if some Kickstarter hit its initial goal and the developers said "we have no ideas for expanding the game beyond our original proposal, we don't need any more money, please stop pledging now"? That would probably kick up its own internet shitstorm, with people complaining about how they wanted to support the game but didn't find out about it until too late, or wanting to get some backer reward that's no longer available. No matter what you do somebody on the net will rake you over the coals.

The Banner Saga did get a huge delay. Almost a whole year actually.^^

Anyway delays on most games are normal as you said. At least most will come out eventually despite the few that get funded, and fail to ever get released.

Back
Top Bottom